• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS Reveals Female Link, March 25 Date, Limited Europe Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ommadon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Is the fact that they have a female Link an example of being PC? If it isn't, please explain why.

First, she isn't Link, she just has a similar name and colored clothing. Second, it's not for political correctness, or equality; those may be byproducts depending on your views, but not the initiative for her creation. The creators want to make a character that will sell merchandise, and her design is determined by what they think will make the most money, while not being a redundant character type.

They chose to design a young attractive girl with modest sex appeal, and some ”coolness” (dual wielding weapons). Their aim is to grab attention while not being too sleazy and avoiding a backlash.

The design is calculated to be appropriate for the mainstream, and appealing to the broadest range of consumers that like video game stuff.

Finally, I think the name is awful. I wonder if they were thinking of Tinker Bell. The transition to Japanese is just bad sounding, and they left out the cute part of her name, “Bell”. It's not too crazy to think that Link is similar to Peter Pan... and the creators wanted to make homage to another character from the story, happens to have a name that kinda rhymes... Link - Tink - Tinker - リンクレ ... just a crazy theory.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is definitely a character made to appeal to and attract men. Why would they give her zettai ryouki otherwise? How long before they announce the amiibo? That's all Nintendo seems to do these days.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
@Kadmos1 Link is an avatar protagonist and the "link" between the player and the world.
A gender selection should thus have been an option in the Famicon original if you aks me.
Better late than never and noone should play these games for the "narrative" or the "characters".
Mrs.63 is just another alternate skin in the end so who cares and it won´t change the fact that the game is just another generic Dynasty Warriors spin-offs so i won´t buy it.
Big N should rename her to Link and put her as an option into the 2016 game. I would play as her.

The amiibo bait factor is true of course. I hate them so much but they sell after all.
Quote:
Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Alright people drop the gamergate crap please. It's OT for starters in this thread, and it generally reagrdless of the thread or topic only serves to fuel pointless troll ridden drivel and flamewars where posters hurl loud mouthed insults at each other. All of which we don't need. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3