• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Sports Anime Spikes Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imitosis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
What a great article. I've gotten really interested in sports anime over the last year or two. And in a collision of my growing sports anime interest and interest in old shoujo I checked out the first season of Aim for the Ace! a while ago. Attack no. 1 has been on my radar since then, I just wish someone would subtitle it. I guess I'll be adding Attacker You! to my wish list as well.

I'm of the opinion that Haikyuu!! is the best show amongst the current group of popular sports series. It's better animated than most of it's peers and certainly moves along at a better pace than something like Yowapeda. The cast is genuinely likable and they play well off of each other. I have a real soft spot for Tanaka. It's not my favorite sports anime ever, that would probably be Ping Pong the Animation, but Haikyuu really manages to hit an ideal balance between character work and sports action.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I've only read chunks of the 'Candy Candy' manga but, from the anime characterization, it certainly takes the zing out of "upping the ante with 2 dead boyfriends" when you remember that Alistir was more of a big brother figure, and not in the 'Daddy-Long-Legs' way that Albert was, than a love interest.

The 'Anne of Green Gables' series, which influenced 'Candy Candy', had many non-romantic deaths over the course of its run.

I don't how the boyfriend died in 'Attack No. 1' but I would probably argue that the CIRCUMSTANCES of the deaths in 'Candy Candy' upped the ante more than the body count.

On a separate note: Dammit, now I've got "Jeanne et Serge" stuck in my head.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
It's a real pity that Oofuri didn't do very well for FUNimation. It's a great series with very likable characters. I remember before the release, FUNi actually contacted me to fill out a survey about the series and in return gave me a free copy of the DVDs when they came out. It was very nice of them to do so. I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that the second season isn't likely to ever be licensed. Too bad......

Waiting for Japan to put out a third season too. =\
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
^
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oofuri is finally getting its second season brought over next year by Rightstuf/Nozomi (sans dub, alas)...
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Only one I could really get into was Taisho Baseball Girls and Princess Nine but I am totally here for a release of Attack No. 1 if Discotek or Nozomi is willing.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oofuri is finally getting its second season brought over next year by Rightstuf/Nozomi (sans dub, alas)...

Oh yay!
I don't need a dub track so that suits me just fine.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'm mostly sports averse, but I really enjoyed this article. I do enjoy some sports titles--I like Adachi, although very few of his titles have come out in English. Ping Pong the Animation was great, but it was also Masaaki Yuasa's anime, which makes it special. Wheelchair basketball manga REAL by Takehiko Inoue is very good as well, but a wheelchair basketball manga can have more realistic dramatic beats than typical high school basketball manga.

Hakyu has been getting a lot of positive attention and reviews. I thought the first episode was cute, but I never went beyond that. Maybe someday I'll give it another go.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
I was never a big spocon fan. I played basketball during my school years and still remember thing or two about the game, that's why anime like Kuroko no Basuke tend to irritate me with its magic tricks and absolute disregard towards team play, strategy and actual scores (I mean, school teams pulling numbers like 160 is just overkill). I understand that intended audience doesn't care about how realistic manga or anime is, but it's just too unrealistic for my liking. That being said, I love all three seasons of Hajime no Ippo, it isn't much more realistic than Kuroko, but being boxing manga I can enjoy it in the same way I enjoy other battle and tournament shounens.
LiteKnite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
After watching Slam Dunk last year, I got pumped up to do 10,000 shots. My shots were getting pretty accurate like I would get free throw line shots 3-5 times in a row. But when I reached about the 2,000 shot mark I sprained my right elbow that took 3 months to heal. I couldn't lift weights or juggle either, let alone practice in shooting form. I guess that would make me Mitchi or the type of character that comes back after a long absence. Lol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

even though I personally suspect that the overlap between dork media fandom and sports fandom is larger than it might seem..... I believe we are in the process of a reality-destroying jock/nerd convergence, something first heralded by phenomena like fantasy sports

Funny ya mention that: Laughing

"ESPN ad - It's not crazy, it's sports - Jocks or Nerds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjMHqC-azck

(Heh, and I played volleyball too, among other sports.)
BVerfG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
Sports Anime are a mystery to me. I never really watched much sports let alone play it, aside from football, which is kind of ubiquitous in my country. But I just loved Haikyuu! so much (apparently I'm one of the rare males who enjoyed it?) that I read the Manga shortly after S2 began. I also enjoyed Free! and Slam Dunk, despite not caring one bit about Volleyball, Basketball or Swimming. In fact Volleyball is one of the most boring Sports in real life imo.

That's the mystique of Sports Anime and the magic japanese touch for me: They can take something that should be boring and turn it into something exciting and fascinating: Haikyuu, Hikaru no Go (if you can count it as "Sports" if not, still turning a board game into something exciting). So I never understood the "I don't like that Sport, so I don't enjoy the Anime". I don't like ANY of those Sports and still by the power of nippon Anime I greatly enjoy the shows.

I might be weird that way. I'm still waiting for Japan to produce the interesting Anime about golf.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
^ Dan Doh! Dunno how interesting it is though.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
I am not too fond of sports anime aside of a few ones (Eyeshield 21, Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk), while I am quite a racing fan. I think Racing is also a sport. Cyber Formula and oddly, F-Zero anime are examples of Racing anime.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Maybe with all the One-Punch Man hype, Eyeshield 21 could get a reboot/remake that doesn't look like hot garbage. Obviously, being about sports and being streamed before the dawn Netflix were also two strikes against it gaining a following, but the show is really the antithesis of Yusuke Murata's skills.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
^ No kidding! Because spoiler[we never got to the Christmas Bowl] in the anime, I took a peek at the manga (something I never do) and was completely blown away by how beautiful it was! It'd be nice to see it animated more in line with how the manga art looked, but I think I'd miss Hiruma's seiyuu. But maybe he'd come back to voice work just for that role. :D Ah, pipe dreams...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3