• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Anime Fans Pick Best Opening Songs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
Tori no Uta remains on my music player after all these years for a reason so I'm impressed by that one. The rest? Seem to be more about the popularity of the show- except for Hozuki's Coolheadedness, not really recentness.

A small and young sampling size for the most part skews the results; Instead of complaining about them not choosing Cruel Angel's Thesis, why not complain about the movie reboots not using it? That's the bigger omission.

Also, I really have to wonder when the article itself sounds like a poster...

Some openers these people should also get familiar with; The Hellsing opener, Lucky Star, Nadesico- yes, you do get to burning- that Tenchi Muyo instrumental...

Oh, the one that goes "cha la, head cha la..." And you know the one I mean, just from that... that's an opener.
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of good options out there. One that captures the essence of its show really well and sticks with you way after watching is Mikuni Shimokawa's "All the Way" from Kino's Journey. I don't know if it'll ever make a list like this but it's certainly worthy.

For the same reasons, I'd give an honorable mention to JAM Project's "Little Wing" from Scrapped Princess.
otagirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
Having watched from 90s - 00s - 10s most of my favorite songs and anime are from the last & current decade, though I do enjoy old classics as well. That's just personal preference.

But of course, what's a "best list" without self-important old people whining about how their own generation has the most impeccable taste - looking down on what's new in favor of nostalgia.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Melissa isn't the best FMA/FMAB opening but i can understand a little the reason to appear here. Everytime i heard that song reminds how i met the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise and how nostalgic it is, because it's supposed to be first song you ever heard of FMA. So in this point of view it kinda makes sense.
KinoCowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
There are a lot of good options out there. One that captures the essence of its show really well and sticks with you way after watching is Mikuni Shimokawa's "All the Way" from Kino's Journey. I don't know if it'll ever make a list like this but it's certainly worthy.

I agree completely with that. Both the OP and ED for Kino's Journey were excellent.

As far as my personal favorites, I'd pick Monoral's "Kiri" from Ergo Proxy, The Delgado's "The Light Before We Land" from Gunslinger Girl, and Yoko Kanno's "Tank!", from Cowboy Bebop.

As far as recent anime is concerned, Death Parade's OP is the best I've heard in some time.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
sim0n2170 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
ugh @ #3. The rest tho...very nice choices. And I wouldn't call "air" or kenshin recent...
What wrong with Attack on Titan's theme song.

I think it is more to do with Attack on Titan showing up near the top on yet another poll. Since polls like this are heavily dependent on whatever happens to be popular at the time, there tends to be a lot of repetition. For example, Levi was on a recent poll about crazy hairstyles even though his is rather normal.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
At first i thought Guren no Yumiya was number 1 but to my surprise and joy as a Railgun fan, the number 1 OP song is Only my Railgun.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Tori no Uta is definitely one of the best, as is Sobakasu. I'm definitely shocked, though, to not see A Cruel Angel's Thesis, and doubly shocked to not see Bouken Desho Desho. Guess it's true what they say about Haruhi's popularity in Japan being non-existent at this point...

I would also say I'd expect Tank! to be on there, but Bebop's only ever really been popular in the West, from what I know.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first opening from Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works better than any of the songs from Fate Zero, even if Fate Zero was a much better show.

I wish the list had the opening from Paranoia Agent and Pure Snow by Yuko Sasaki from Himiko Den, a song so popular that people loved it despite never have seen the (by all accounts mediocre) anime it was used for.
DarkLordDragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
No Pegasus Fantasy (Saint Seiya) or Yo Wa Shock! (Hokuto No Ken)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mints97

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
But what... what about TTGL or Spice and Wolf's first openings? =(
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I get suspicious of any top OP list without Slayer's "Give A Reason." Hayashibara isn't as popular as she once was, but at least the song is still frequently covered at events like ANIMAX MUSIX and such.

What is the average age of people at those events though? Slayers as a franchise is incredibly old. Half of the voters weren't even alive when that song was released. There was R and E-R back in what, 2008-9? But the openings weren't as catchy imo.

jirg1901 wrote:
Eternal Blaze is also an odd omission, but maybe Nana songs fought each other for votes too much.

That seems incredibly likely to me. Eternal Blaze is from 2005. Half of the voters are in their teens which means half of them weren't even 10 when that aired. I'd bet that a lot of those in that bracket who were leaning towards a Mizuki Nana song went with something more recent.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
About half of the respondents were in their 10s, which is reflected in the list's tilt towards recent works.

(Technically the word is "In their teens", but it seems a little more accurate as it is.)

Well, that explains the conspicuous absences of Lucky Star's "Motteke Sailor Fuku" and Bebop's "Tank"'s traditional place on the OP lists.

They should have just said "Best CURRENT OP Themes", and they'd get the exact same result.
While Ah My Goddess OVA's "Your Heart, My Heart" becomes lost further and further in old 90's-fan sentimentality. Sad
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Any list of openings that snubs Isao Sasaki is not worth paying attention to. Gatchaman? Yamato? Casshern? Galaxy Express? Mazinger Z? The man has an EPIC set of pipes on him!
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember when the first Digimon OP, "Butter-Fly", used to kill on these lists and now it doesn't even crack the top 10. I guess the anime fandom in Japan is past it now Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4