• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Comments on Digital Piracy After Manga Uploader Arrests

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Viz has state about this Before and it was in 2011( looking for old news right now ) The say they want to make there mangas available but,their full of Shit, they always say this shit and Never follow, through In fact Their the reason, why A lot of People Pirate in the first Place and anyone, who says this Justice or Any BS like that is ether a blind Fan boy or They live in the US where they can Get the Manga scans legal online and Don't really care about the rest of the World, and Oh Viz good like trying to destroy Piracy, More will just Pope up if You want to end it ,Give a reason why people,should go to your sites more Or make your shit Actually available
or do what Mangastream is doing

© 2015 MangaStream | Privacy Policy | RSS Feed
Please support the authors by purchasing the volumes from official avenues when they are available in your locale.

make a certain Number chapters avalable For FREE online then like Mangastream if you want to see more Buy the volume It not that that herd.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
Seriously though, legal sanctions are not going to solve anything. Look at anime: the only tactic that ever took a bite out of fansubbing was the introduction of cheap, legal streaming of almost every anime show.

You make a perfect, valid, and flawless point.

Which is exactly what Weekly Shonen Jump is doing to One Piece-- making an extremely cheap, legal, day-and-date release with Japan. You can argue about the availability or lack thereof of other manga titles all day long, but when we're talking about One Piece, the manga equivalent of cheap, legal streaming already exists. That alone didn't stop One Piece scans, so the only thing LEFT is legal sanctions.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Which is exactly what Weekly Shonen Jump is doing to One Piece-- making an extremely cheap, legal, day-and-date release with Japan. You can argue about the availability or lack thereof of other manga titles all day long, but when we're talking about One Piece, the manga equivalent of cheap, legal streaming already exists. That alone didn't stop One Piece scans, so the only thing LEFT is legal sanctions.

Yes it is cheap and easily available in seven countries. Which is exactly the point. Until such legal, cheap and easily available alternative does not exist for everyone, scanlators and aggregator sites will continue to thrive. That's all there is to it
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
CoreSignal wrote:
This. Manga isn't made for free. While I'm sure Oda is living his dream making One Piece it's also his job, meaning he's supposed to get paid for it and guess what?, it's probably Shueisha who's paying him ...

And it is not just him. A lot of other people are involved in the publication and distribution of manga, such as office workers and those delivery people. All of those people need to be paid in order for us to keep getting manga.

Quote:
... buying manga used is actually worse since your money goes to who bought the manga, not the creator.

I am going to disagree with that because I believe that the used manga market does help to support the industry.
I would not buy as much new manga if I could not sell what I decide not to keep and get some of my money back.
And used manga is a relatively cheap and completely legal way for potential new fans to be introduced to manga.

1. Yes, so many people make a living off of the manga industry, and they don't get paid in magic rainbows made of gratitude and joy.

2. I believe the idea of the quote is aimed more at cheapskates than at people who are less well off.

To the average Joe, manga is not expensive; Brand-new manga books tend to start at $10-15 SRP and can be bought slightly cheaper online or even cheaper as an e-book.

For example:

Puella Magi Tart Magica Volume 2 has an SRP of $13 US and $15.50 CAN.

It can be bought at:
Amazon for $11.17 (physical) and $5.42 (digital)
Barnes and Noble online for $11.28 (physical) and $ 6.99 (digital)
Amazon Canada for $10.71 (physical) and $6.99 (digital)
Chapters online for $13.79 (physical) and $6.99 (digital)

A meal out, that wasn't bought at McDonald's, costs more than that and doesn't last forever.

Buying still available manga second-hand denies the publishers another sale; Two people have owned that manga but only ONE sale was made.

Pirating the manga is, obviously, a million times worse because NO sale is made but buying second-hand does not support the manga the way that some people believe it does.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
That Why I say Mangastreams way of doing it is the best way You can,read the newest Chapter for FREE and still buy the volume for the rest, issue is solved.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Yes it is cheap and easily available in seven countries. Which is exactly the point. Until such legal, cheap and easily available alternative does not exist for everyone, scanlators and aggregator sites will continue to thrive. That's all there is to it

I'd be interested to see traffic data from scanlation sites because I'm inclined to think that most of their traffic comes from those seven countries where manga is available.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I'd be interested to see traffic data from scanlation sites because I'm inclined to think that most of their traffic comes from those seven countries where manga is available.
Again I point to my comment. Crunchyroll was far from legal when it first started ( and lot of people don't seem to know that ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crunchyroll
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
buying manga used is actually worse since your money goes to who bought the manga, not the creator.

Worse than what...pirating? Hell, should I feel bad about selling manga I no longer want...and then in turn using that money to continue to buy other manga? Laughing

CandisWhite wrote:
Pirating the manga is, obviously, a million times worse because NO sale is made but buying second-hand does not support the manga the way that some people believe it does.

I don't think anyone was saying that it supports the industry. At the same time, someone shouldn't be told that what they are doing is wrong, when it comes to buying 2nd hand books. This is a hobby, and people will always want more bang for their buck.

I'd prefer to see them buy 2nd hand books over them visiting a pirate's manga site...

Should I be surprised that people would condemn someone who gets manga legally...but doesn't directly "support the industry"? Laughing

The situation of buying manga 2nd hand, which could lead to the original owner buying more manga in the future, isn't one to be condemned. I needed a good laugh.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
"Zolo" is used because 4kids used it, and Viz declines to change it. The so called issue of copyright did not prevent Viz from using Zoro to start with before they changed to match 4kids, and it has not stopped Funimation from using the name Zoro in their own releases. Plus while it's obviously a reference, Zoro is not the same as Zorro. To say nothing of the fact that Zorro's copyright is tenuous at best. As the original work was created prior to 1923, it should be in the public domain.

In short, "Zolo" still exists because Viz just doesn't care about such details.

I think it's because by the time FUNimation got the license and began issuing their official dub and subtitles with "Zoro," Viz had already released about 20 volumes with the character being called "Zolo," so they probably thought they were too far along in the series to change it back. When they originally changed it from "Zoro" to "Zolo," they were only 4-5 volumes in and quickly reprinted those. I too wish they would just use "Zoro," but it's pretty much moot at this point. I'm also disappointed they cleaned up the language in those earlier volumes too, and am glad I own the original 2003-2004 pre-4Kids editions.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

CandisWhite wrote:

I don't think anyone was saying that it supports the industry. At the same time, someone shouldn't be told that what they are doing is wrong, when it comes to buying 2nd hand books. This is a hobby, and people will always want more bang for their buck.

I'd prefer to see them buy 2nd hand books over them visiting a pirate's manga site...

Should I be surprised that people would condemn someone who gets manga legally...but doesn't directly "support the industry"? Laughing

The situation of buying manga 2nd hand, which could lead to the original owner buying more manga in the future, isn't one to be condemned. I needed a good laugh.

Le sigh.

The commenter told the person whom they quoted that buying books second-hand does support the industry and that they themselves couldn't afford to buy everything brand-new and keep it for life.

The point of my response was that the sentiment of "used doesn't really help" was probably not referring to poor people who can only afford to buy books cheap, or read ones from the library, but was referring to people who do have the money to buy things brand-new but don't.

You can spin it anyway you want but the basic economics of it falls like this: A person who buys a brand-new copy, physical or digital, from a store has put another sale on record; A person who buys a used copy has given money to someone else, who is diluting the market with a cheaper copy, and not to the publisher. In other words, the $5 that a person gave to a re-seller could have been added to another $5 and made a new sale; The publisher would have had 2 sales, instead of one.

I'm not "condemning" anyone: If you don't have the money to buy things brand-new, or to need to sell things to buy others, that's fine; I do reserve the right to think less of someone who has plenty of money( and "plenty" is mighty relative since manga goes for $10-15 brand-new) and then buys second-hand because reasons but I'm not about to egg their house or key their car.

This is not "direct from Japan is better" or "I buy more than you so I'm a better fan" or "buying out-of-print copies is evil"; This is essentially pointing out that purchasing things second-hand is not supporting the industry as much as some people think it does.
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
It's always funny, when manga publisher say "we give a legal way to read new chapter", and there are only 7 countries that can actualy read that legal chapters.

I live in Poland and read Fairy Tail. Whe don;t have publisher here who would publish Fairy Tail. I can't read it legally on crunchyroll because it's not available in my country. I read actualn chapters from scans, but support Kodansha by buying printed volumes.

So now, if I would like to read Fairy Tail legally I should wait until april-may for volume 54 to read what will happend in next chapters.

Legal way to read new chapters is BS. It may be in US, but believe it or not, but there are peoples in Europe that read manga too.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:
Seriously though, legal sanctions are not going to solve anything. Look at anime: the only tactic that ever took a bite out of fansubbing was the introduction of cheap, legal streaming of almost every anime show.

As CrowLia says, Viz has cheap, legal, same day release with Japan in only a handful of countries. People speak and read English all over the world. For example, south east Asia has a large enough English speaking population to have it's own locally produced English language dubs. That's not even getting into the other parts of Europe, or into South America. One Piece scans meet their demands, Viz does not. Furthermore, legal sanctions are some last resort option like you suggest when you say "the only thing LEFT". Legal sanctions were the first thing they tried. The various publishers have send C&Ds and DMCA letters to reader sites since broadband speeds rose and bandwidth and storage costs fell to the point where reader sites were viable. Legal threats have done little. Some sites ignore them, others make it difficult for people in some parts of the world to read some series, others keep only the most recent chapters available. Very few actually shut down.

Eventually publishers started trying to actually compete with these sites by doing stuff like synchronizing the release of the English and Japanese versions of WSJ, instead of having the English one be massively behind Japan. Naturally this did not stop their general anti-piracy activities, of which the latest arrests appear to be just another example of someone in Japan being arrested for uploading anime and/or manga. The only reason it's so notable is that they happened to hit jackpot and get the supplier of some scanlators.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think it's because by the time FUNimation got the license and began issuing their official dub and subtitles with "Zoro," Viz had already released about 20 volumes with the character being called "Zolo," so they probably thought they were too far along in the series to change it back. When they originally changed it from "Zoro" to "Zolo," they were only 4-5 volumes in and quickly reprinted those. I too wish they would just use "Zoro," but it's pretty much moot at this point. I'm also disappointed they cleaned up the language in those earlier volumes too, and am glad I own the original 2003-2004 pre-4Kids editions.

That's not a particularly convincing argument either. The change to match 4kids was a bad idea in the first place, one people have never stopped complaining about. Which is why Funimation was willing to jump through whatever hoops were needed to change it back. Once Funimation corrected the name to Zoro, "Zolo" became a footnote everywhere except within Viz's releases. Hell, it's practically obscure trivia if you're trying to look up anything on Zoro on the internet. Even Google auto-corrects searches for "One Piece Zolo" to "One Piece Zoro". Viz can switch at anytime, and the reaction will be a resounding "Finally!".

That they'll have dozens of volumes with the error is something I'm not sympathetic to. They dug this grave for themselves. If they'd fixed it back when Funimation did and started releasing uncut DVDs, Viz would have 17 volumes with the error, and 61 without it. That they stuck with it this long is their own fault. Nor do I see any reason they should be required to do reprints unless they've got a very stupid contract. Translation errors get fixed mid series all the time, even in official releases. Seldom is there some noteworthy effort to reprint things.

In short, this should have been a correction that would have been very simple to make. If Funimation could do it, so could Viz, especially as Viz changed it in the first place. That they haven't says they don't give a rats ass about their One Piece translation.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
@GrayArchon, those are all perfectly valid points but I think it also brings up a dilemma. If a publisher publishes a manga and the fans don't buy it for any of the reasons you mentioned, (ex. convenience, bad translation, art quality, etc.) Then a company could easily say "ok, we put out this manga that we thought people wanted, but nobody actually bought it. I guess we'll never do that again." Nobody has an obligation to buy an inferior product but on the other hand, you want to show there is a demand for it. I guess fans could "promise" to buy it if they improve things?

Right now I'm buying the physical copies of Dorohedoro despite the fact that I've heard complaints about minor translation issues and typesetting. I hope Viz will fix these issues but I'm also aware that Dorohedoro doesn't sell One Punch Man numbers so it's likely not financially worth it for Viz to do a reprint. At the same time, I don't want them to drop the series because of poor sales. Not entirely similar, because I haven't heard of any translation or art issues, but the Eden: It's an Endless World manga is another example. Dark Horse publishes it and the entire series is 18 volumes but the last volume they published was vol. 14 last march. I went to a Dark Horse con panel this summer and I asked their manga editor Carl Horn if they'll publish the remaining volumes and his response was basically "only if it sells". I am in no way implying that fans of Eden were too cheap to buy it and just read the scans instead but I think it's easier to be choosy when you're talking about a popular manga that has an anime adaptation, lots of light novels, or merchandising. But with lesser-known or more obscure/niche manga it's sometimes not as clear-cut.

CrowLia wrote:

There's also plenty of manga legally available in other countries but not in America and in that situation I read scanlations too. It's not all or nothing, i.e. "If it is not legal, you hereby cannot read it". Also, I'm well aware that scanlations and piracy will always be around, the balancing act for the publishers is to not let it affect their sales to a significant point.

CandisWhite wrote:
This is not "direct from Japan is better" or "I buy more than you so I'm a better fan" or "buying out-of-print copies is evil"; This is essentially pointing out that purchasing things second-hand is not supporting the industry as much as some people think it does.

@Touma,Ali07, I admit that saying "it's actually worse" was a little heavy-handed. But CandisWhite is basically making the point I was trying to say. I didn't mean to imply that "superior" fans buy brand-new manga and only plebs or casuals buy used. I also meant buying that brand-new supports the industry more than used. I've also bought lots of used manga because they wer out of print or too expensive brand new at the time.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
@GrayArchon,

CandisWhite wrote:

@Touma,Ali07, I admit that saying "it's actually worse" was a little heavy-handed. But CandisWhite is basically making the point I was trying to say. I didn't mean to imply that "superior" fans buy brand-new manga and only plebs or casuals buy used. I also meant buying that brand-new supports the industry more than used. I've also bought lots of used manga because they wer out of print or too expensive brand new at the time.
To me Manga stream is the most |Legal way of read Manga since they want you to support the author so I see no issue why Viz can't just do that, Heck the guy who runs the site said their not making any money of this and everything there doing is for free its even in there head line
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
in other news http://kotaku.com/youtubes-finally-starting-to-change-their-disastrous-co-1743518771 It sounds like to me at least you can upload anime videos now with out worry of DMCA ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14