• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio Manglobe Begins Bankruptcy Proceedings With 555 Million Yen in Debt

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
They made so many good shows, that's kind of sad.
shuusei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
I hope the Itoh committee lets another studio pick up and finish off Genocidal Organ. I was looking forward to it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Anti-fansub/scanlation and dub voice actor Greg Ayres would probably say this is because of piracy/fansubs. Though I don't know to how much of that is true, Greg might overlook the fact that bad business decisions are also a contributing factor.

Copyright infringement/piracy has actually done some good to the industry:

The early Feb. '11 ANN article, "Paper: YouTube Views Appear to Raise TV Anime DVD Sales", mentions that this paper was written by a Japanese university's associate of econ. professor. This study was also hosted by the Japanese government's Research Institute of Economy, Trade & Industry (RIETI).

A lot of people might forget that Crunchyroll started out as a fansub streamer.

For the record, I fall between copyright minimalism and copyright abolitionism. For example, while I have watched legit anime streams rips on copyright infringing sites for years, the minimalist part of me won't use a paying account/donate money for the said infringing sites (same for scanlation and LN fan translation sites).

I prefer to be one of those people that only uses said sites to watch/read the titles and not be the person that uploads them.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Farewell, Manglobe. You had a good run. Perhaps I ought to set aside some time to watch The World God Only Knows and Hayate the Combat Butler...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
If only they've adapted sooner. they wouldn't be nealy 4.5 million dollars in debt and in bankruptcy.
bibotot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Farewell, Manglobe. You had a good run. Perhaps I ought to set aside some time to watch The World God Only Knows and Hayate the Combat Butler...

Sorry to say this, but Mangalobe only made the latest 2 Hayate the Combat Butler (Can't take my eyes off you and Cuties). Seasons 1 and 2 were made by JC.Staff. I am OK with season 1 and love season 2 where animation and script greatly improved. But the two newest seasons were where I departed from the series.

That being said, I did like The World God Only knows the anime for its cool visuals and good dub.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, they didn't make much I enjoyed anyway...
Marin99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Mostly good anime with ambition.

Sadly, as some post above make evident, the fanbase today is full of reclusive otaku which take anime as their one little escape world in an unhealthy way, they have virtual waifus which basically the only contact with the opposite sex as that is their obsession and love to see and reflect themselves in today's main characters traits, totally bland and generic, no lolis, no moe and no tits with today's sad fanbase equals no sales, a sad era to live in for this studio, an era which is killing the spirit of grandiose, ambition, uniqueness that anime once had, its been gone or a long time now... rest in peace....
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Marin99 wrote:
Mostly good anime with ambition.

Sadly, as some post above make evident, the fanbase today is full of reclusive otaku which take anime as their one little escape world in an unhealthy way, they have virtual waifus which basically the only contact with the opposite sex as that is their obsession and love to see and reflect themselves in today's main characters traits, totally bland and generic, no lolis, no moe and no tits with today's sad fanbase equals no sales, a sad era to live in for this studio, an era which is killing the spirit of grandiose, ambition, uniqueness that anime once had, its been gone or a long time now... rest in peace....

Oh fudge off - there are plenty of interesting anime being made and of you think that the industry is all that much different from how it was 10-20 ears ago you are blind. Besides it being way bigger now so yes, you get more crap but you also get more good stuff.

Twgok was good - season's 1 and 2 andyway, season 3 was crap and really screwed that franchise in the anime department with some of the most rushed storytelling possible.

Hayate is not a series which has ever sold massively well and they didn't even make the good seasons of Hayate.

I can't judge all of those anime but Samurai Chamloo was good - Samurai flameco was meh at best. Gasgsta was visually quite nice but the story was meh and pretty rushed too.

Ergo proxy is a very hit or miss anime with people - again, not the kind of thing which sells well regardless.

They made a lot of mad business decisions and failed to make safe shows to back up the more interesting anime they made - if you can't do that then you will fail. This is the same for almost any medium, appeal for the masses so you can make what you want - if you don't do that then it's your own fault if you fail.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
They've been irrelevant to me since early 2009 when Michiko ended. Everything else they've made since could have been done by any studio, including SamFlam.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see they made many anime that I loved. Will have to go back and rewatch some of them one day Anime smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
First Imageepoch, and now Manglobe. I hope no other company goes belly up anytime soon.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Worst thing about this are the people who lost their job. Hopefully they don't take long to bounce back.

To be selfish, I really wanted one more season of TWGOK, just to see the ending animated. And would've liked Manglobe to do that. Though, even with Manglobe around or not, the chances of a final season being made aren't impacted.

I won't ever forget Manglobe, as TWGOK sits on my shelf.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame. Manglobe has been around for a long time. I'm sad to see them go, and I'll remember them for Hayate. Perhaps other companies can learn from their mistakes, if they were preventable, and where they can go from here as an industry.

That is the nice response, at least. We shall see. I don't believe Anno or the others who bemoan the 'death of the industry' and all of that dramatic nonesense, but it is changing. We shall see how the next five years play out, without Manglobe, unfortunately. And I will be happy if someone picks up and finishes Organ too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun, Manglobe was hardly relevant to the industry. Its death is not even a blip on the radar of the entire industry in Japan. They have NEVER had high sales. Heck, they almost never has decent sales. They have almost never made anything the Japanese anime watchers want, and when they did, they screwed it up, like with Hayate: you have 20 volumes of material and you made two full FILLER seasons. WHY? And they you are shocked that people aren't buying? Their management team must have been one of the worst possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2