Forum - View topic
NEWS: Valkyria: Azure Revolution Game's Teaser Video Reveals Winter 2016 Release


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DRWii



Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 586
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'm not gonna lie, this teaser and the few screenshots they've released are making me consider importing the Remaster just for that demo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Cantastorie



Joined: 20 Nov 2015
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the small southern European nation of Jutland launched an assault against a base of the Rus Empire, one of the world's great powers. In accordance to its principles, the Rus Empire retaliated with an economic blockade and embargo and in time Jutland was impoverished. Jutland proclaimed "independence and liberation from the colonialism of the great powers" and declared war on the Rus Empire, who employed a Valkyria in its ranks.
The young men and women who participated in what would later be called the "Miraculous War of Liberation" will be judged to be the greatest criminals in history.

Just how much is this chapter going to be anti-american? xD
As far as I can see this is exaclty WW2 seen from a very japanese prospective...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jppcouto



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 98
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
not gonna lie, this teaser comparing to the other 3 games from the franchise doesn't look like Valkyria Chronicles anymore.... I mean in the others we saw an army using realistic weapons, tanks and stuff like that. But now, i see two kids wearing weird clothes with gigantic swords in the middle of a war. If i had not seen the woman with grey hair, i would thought this was a new "Tales of" game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seska1973



Joined: 31 May 2015
Posts: 150
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
not gonna lie, this teaser comparing to the other 3 games from the franchise doesn't look like Valkyria Chronicles anymore.... I mean in the others we saw an army using realistic weapons, tanks and stuff like that. But now, i see two kids wearing weird clothes with gigantic swords in the middle of a war. If i had not seen the woman with grey hair, i would thought this was a new "Tales of" game.


..and the Girl use "Song Arts".. Ar Tonelico? Also, the 2 Big Guns of the Valkyrie is the middle of the Picture like 2 Big Mountains...

They even grow bigger in the Big Picture, since the Character Profile in the article

Looks like they want to squeeze the last money of this Name, with arousing the Stuff up and such...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monster Hunter



Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 335
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
So they are dropping the WWII aesthetic, which is entirely unique and it's own thing in the vast world of RPG games, and going with a much more generic and cookie cutter sword and shield aesthetic? That really really sucks because that WWII setting RPG was something that was entirely it's own that set it apart from pretty much every other RPG out there. Now they are going for what is used by the vast majority of RPG games out there the normal medieval war setting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wrangler



Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 1260
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
So they are dropping the WWII aesthetic, which is entirely unique and it's own thing in the vast world of RPG games, and going with a much more generic and cookie cutter sword and shield aesthetic? That really really sucks because that WWII setting RPG was something that was entirely it's own that set it apart from pretty much every other RPG out there. Now they are going for what is used by the vast majority of RPG games out there the normal medieval war setting.

Yeah, not digging what their doing. Using the Valkyria Chronicles franchise name for something that basically what you said "Cookie Cutter sword and shield aesthetic" is properly road to ruin for the franchise.

If they weren't using same name, it may not have been so bad. Who ever idea doing this, wasn't into military gaming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 2084
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
So they are dropping the WWII aesthetic, which is entirely unique and it's own thing in the vast world of RPG games, and going with a much more generic and cookie cutter sword and shield aesthetic?


Not just that... they're switching the gameplay as well apparently to a more traditional rpg system. So much for the fairly unique tactical rpg + fps mix...

I have to say, I'm super disappointed. I was incredibly happy to hear I was wrong about this being Vita/mobile. However, that is pretty much all gone because while it might not be Vita/mobile, it isn't really a Valkyria Chronicles game either (though technically, they aren't calling it one). I mean the game might still be fun, and I may even end up getting it, but I currently feel absolutely no hype for this.


Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4000
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
not gonna lie, this teaser comparing to the other 3 games from the franchise doesn't look like Valkyria Chronicles anymore....


Monster Hunter wrote:
So they are dropping the WWII aesthetic, which is entirely unique and it's own thing in the vast world of RPG games, and going with a much more generic and cookie cutter sword and shield aesthetic?


Wrangler wrote:

If they weren't using same name, it may not have been so bad.


Last I checked this game isn't called

Senjō no Varukyuria (Valkyria of the Battlefield)

It's called

Aoki Kakumei no Varukyuria (Valkyria: Azure Revolution)

That indicates that while this is apart of the Valkyria series it's an offshoot hence the different mechanics and gameplay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 2084
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Last I checked this game isn't called

Senjō no Varukyuria (Valkyria of the Battlefield)

It's called

Aoki Kakumei no Varukyuria (Valkyria: Azure Revolution)

That indicates that while this is apart of the Valkyria series it's an offshoot hence the different mechanics and gameplay.


I sort of see your point, but both are titled "Valkyria of the XXX." No, it isn't a numbered sequel, but yes they are using the same "Valkyria" name.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4000
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:


I sort of see your point, but both are titles "Valkyria of the XXX." No, it isn't a numbered sequel, but yes they are using the same "Valkyria" name.


Yes and?

Final Fantasy Dissidia uses the Final Fantasy name and everyone more or less accepts it's existence as a spin-off instead of
"They shouldn't be using Final Fantasy in the title of this game because it plays differently than the traditional games" like what seems to be the case with Azure Revolution.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 2084
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Final Fantasy Dissidia uses the Final Fantasy name and everyone more or less accepts it's existence as a spin-off instead of
"They shouldn't be using Final Fantasy in the title of this game because it plays differently than the traditional games" like what seems to be the case with Azure Revolution.


Really shitty example there. Final Fantasy doesn't have a standardized gameplay mechanic even among just the primary numbered titles. They've got action, mmo, atb, standard turn based, etc. So obviously no one would expect Dissidia to play like 'traditional games' because there isn't a specific way traditional final fantasy games play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ninjajake12



Joined: 04 Aug 2015
Posts: 118
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the original Valkyria Chronicles, I have really mixed feelings about this. As mentioned before, it looks more like a generic JRPG than what VC was. VC was unique in setting, story, and gameplay...and it sounds like they're ditching all three to make a more Final Fantasy-esque RPG. I'm not sure I like the swords over guns choice either. And the characters looks so cold and unlikeable.

Of course I could be entirely wrong, but this doesn't excite me or peak my interest as much as the original VC series did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4000
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Really shitty example there. Final Fantasy doesn't have a standardized gameplay mechanic even among just the primary numbered titles.


Hmmmm so the bulk of the Final Fantasy games aren't traditional turn based RPG's where you travel a world fighting enemies of various shape and size, level up to learn new abilities, and occasionally feature the ability to change classes?

That's news to me.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
They've got action, mmo,


Two gameplay styles/genres that typically don't feature into the main games themselves or rather don't feature into the games people consider apart of the series proper.


SilverTalon01 wrote:
So obviously no one would expect Dissidia to play like 'traditional games' because there isn't a specific way traditional final fantasy games play.


Yes they wouldn't because Dissidia is a spin-off that's designed to play and function differently than the main FF games......just like Azure Revolution is a spin-off designed to play and function differently than Valkyria Chronicles but for whatever reason people keep ignoring for some reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
partially



Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 691
Location: Oz
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well that looks nothing like Valkyria as we know it. As others have mentioned the WW2 steampunkish aesthetic was part of the originals appeal.

Not only that, a HUGE part of the appeal for me was that the characters of the original all acted and looked essentially like normal people.

Now we have a sequel/spin-off that looks like a very high-strung generic male-power fantasy. Leather, devilish attire, and silly weapons for kicks. And a Valkyria for some reason attaching beach balls to her outfit.

Not a single thing looks appealing here, at least in comparison to the original. And I am consistently amazed that for a game that sold well. Set in a well-realized world, that had a huge continent left unexplored. That they couldn't come up with another game for the original. Where they consistently told us that there was simply not enough material ideas to make another game.

That is obvious because what they show here is not Valkyria, it is a very very loose spin-off. Did they fire all their story writers and just make this through committee?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6155
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
So we got another installment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group