• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote

Macross Delta (TV)

Genres: Action, Sci-fi, Mecha
Themes:

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKiLsbWiHY&feature=youtu.be

Plot Summary: Minori Suzuki, the 18-year-old winner of the newest Macross singer auditions from Aichi Prefecture, will play Freyja Wion, an aspiring idol who is full of spirit and who is always smiling. Five girls form the "Tactical Sound Unit" Walküre, the first major songstress group in the Macross anime franchise. (Macross 7 had the Jamming Birds group, and The Macross Digital Mission VF-X game had the group Milky Dolls.) The Walküre group battles the Var Syndrome that is consuming the galaxy, and there is also the mysterious Aerial Knights Valkyrie fighter team of the Kingdom of Wind.
----------------------------------

Macross Delta (TV) series coming soon. Are you ready for some music?

I'm really curious to see how the newest singer (picked from the audition) will play out her role as one of the main characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
With the premise of the Macross series, I guess it was inevitable that there would be an entry where the cute idol singer girls are the main characters. The only surprise is how long it took for the entry to come about--I would've expected it around the time of Frontier rather than now.

...Or is that blue haired guy from the teaser the main character?
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh great, this doesn't remind me of macros 7 at all.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm eagerly awaiting this and have been since it was announced last year that a new Macross series is in the works. Like Frontier, Delta will have its first episode air in December, several months before the official start.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the major problem here, well beyond "too moe aidoru" is going to be too many main characters. Even in Macross 7, the core was only Basara, Mylene, and and Gamlin. Not having a solid triangle changes it from Macross and more into Aquarion.
meiam wrote:
Oh great, this doesn't remind me of macros 7 at all.
And why should it? M7 is goofy as heck, but you have two male main leads who kick ass and the music is all pop rock. I fail to see how Delta is even remotely in the same ballpark. In fact, beyond far too much repetition in the first half, and just being offbeat, Macross 7 sure gets a lot more flack than it deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
With Macross' track record, I know this almost sounds like a lost cause, but is there ANY chance AT ALL that anyone (apart from HG) will attempt to license this series to the US? We missed out on Frontier (I'd still LOVE to see SOMEONE license this!) and Zero... so really, is there ANY chance in me getting a positive answer to this at all?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
We'll have to see if it even gets picked up for streaming. That in itself would be monumental, since the only other movement Macross has had in the US is just pitiful rereleases of low quality SFD Macross DVDs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
We'll have to see if it even gets picked up for streaming. That in itself would be monumental, since the only other movement Macross has had in the US is just pitiful rereleases of low quality SFD Macross DVDs.

Low quality? I didn't think the DVD releases of Macross were of low quality, but then again we were NEVER EVEN offered Blu-Ray masters of ANYTHING because of the glory-hound HG thinking everything Macross belonged to them, lock stock and barrel. And I'm not going to go into Mangle's maltreatment of it's Macross acquisitions... Although I love Macross Plus and II dearly, I REALLY wish they would at least buy Blu-Ray masters to remaster them. ~_~ There is a so-called Blu-Ray remaster of DYRL out there but we never got to see it, so there's that beef to chew on, and for some reason, Big West seems to think we wanted nothing to do with the Anniversary celebration either... something to this day that still puzzles me beyond comprehension. While I didn't care for a lot of Macross' music over Robotech, I LOVED Macross Frontier's music and would've loved it to have been released over here in the West.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
We may now commence sending off our beloved departed series, who had a successful run but ultimately succumbed to an horrible disease. Let us not remember there dark time, but instead remember them fondly for the precious time we spend with them.

Begin the 21 gun salute, AT ATTENTION.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first preview episode was alright. Catchy theme song, decent voice acting, and a nice glimpse of the action already. Really hope we learn more about the characters though and the full capabilities of those fighters.

Not a bad start but nothing too spectacular either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The official unofficial sequal to AKB0048 with a little macross mixed in.
Martin G.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
It was just plain terrible. How a new anime series can in every department be worse than its eight years older predecessor is beyond me. Well, the character designs and the backgrounds were okay, I guess, but the 2D-animation can only be described as average and the 3D-animation is sometimes okay but often atrociously bad.
And don't get me startet on the story. The connection to the earlier MACROSS-animes is vague but that could be more elaborately explained in later episodes. The same goes for this strange illness. But the tale of the ditzy girl who really wants to sing (and of course she doesn't start her own band just for the fun of it, which would be cool, no, she wants to sing in an idol band, the crown jewels of musical achievements) is already tiresome, and as it was stated here before, the whole thing sounds suspiciously like Kawamoris own AKB0048. But at least that series looked fantastic.
Furthermore, I think it's sad that while Kawamori's masterpiece, THE VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE, didn't rely in any way on sexist fanservice his later creations use more and more of it. And at least the first episode of MACROSS DELTA has already its fair share of cleavage shots and nude transformations which look less stylish and elegant as the ones from MACROSS FRONTIER but rather exploitative.
I imagine it can only get better after this introduction to MACROSS DELTA.

Last edited by Martin G. on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
I quite liked this first episode. The action was pretty good and I don't mind these types of idols. Macross has always been about idols but the idols of 1982 are a lot different from the idols of today. It's only natural for a new Macross show to reflect today's idols.

In general I like music that has multiple singers singing in unison. While the first song didn't impress me too much, I really like the 2nd one (I dig the use of brass).

Freyja is cute (and hopefully not Thor in disguise) and her voice actress doesn't have that obvious rookie sound like Megumi Nakajima did. Shame she's going to be heartbroken at the end of it all (as is typical of Macross) but I'm not sure who she'll lose to. One might think Mirage, since she actually meets the guy this episode, but Mikumo looks like she's going to be too important to be left out.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode as well and have watched it four time already. I was in love with the new Valkyrie's (VF-31 Siegfried) design even before the episode aired!

Actually, this wasn't even the entire episode! According to one of the presenters at the end of the episode, it was stated that they only showed up to frame 391 out of the 450 that were story boarded.

It'll be interesting to see how the series is going to go. It's a shame that we still have to wait until spring to see it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Wait, I thought this was slated to be a Spring 2016 series? Did I miss something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20