• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
And another episode of not progressing the story, Roid is all pumped up about controlling the whole galaxy, and our heroes are just sitting around throwing a birthday party and playing in the snow. a few more episodes like this and they might as well be waving the white flag and call it quits.

Mirage probably doesn't understand the concept of "All is fair in love and war" Its a free-for-all, you got to be more assertive if you want to grab the prize, otherwise you can blame no one but yourself if someone beats you to it.

On another note, that was a cleverly modified version of the Happy Birthday song, trying to sneak under Warner's royalty radar are we?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
And another episode of not progressing the story

So episodes focused on characterization don't count for anything?

Honestly the plot is the least important thing about the show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
Story feels slightly slower in pacing recently. However, I think it's building more on character relationships especially the main trio (Hayate, Freyja, and Mirage). And apparently, it's Freyja's birthday!

Kinda interesting to note that she's lived about half way of her life.

Seriously though, it's like Makina said about Hayate. "He's as dense as a black hole". Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Finally Hayate is showing signs of being romantically interested in someone. Mirage's chances sure don't good. Freya x Hayate is simply meant to be.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite so sure where this triangle will end up.

On the one hand, Macross tradition dictates that Mirage has to win. On top of that it's a pretty common development to have the one girl suffer off to the side in order to make us sympathise with her so we'll be happy when she ends up winning (a certain Shonen Jump romance just did this). Unfortunately with that option it tends to feel like an asspull since the girl will have done little to win the guy over.

On the other hand, Kawamori did the opposite of that in Aquarion Evol and Logos, where the sad and mopey girl didn't get the guy at the end. It's undeniable that Hayate and Freyja have a strong connection, so maybe this will be the series to break tradition? At the very least it's going to take something really big for Mirage to make a satisfying comeback.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Right now Freya x Hayate seems most probable. It would be funny to see the reactions of everyone here if Hayate were to nope out in like the last episode and choose Mirage instead (I believe a certain Canadian loves that sort of thing). But yeah they'd have to start working on that magic right about now if Mirage were to win. Maybe a plot point that prevents a relationship between Freya and Hayate like if Hayate's father was the one who caused that crater in Windermere. And then... I dunno. Something tells me that a plot point getting in the way of true love in Macross is quite unlikely.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe a plot point that prevents a relationship between Freya and Hayate like if Hayate's father was the one who caused that crater in Windermere.

Hayate's father would also likely be the one who brought "Earth's music" to Freyja, his redemption being the only hope for peace between the galaxy and Windermere.

And as a good chunk of posters have hinted at, if Delta follows the usual conventions of Macross then while Mirage might seem distant with Hayate now, the trend is that the relation will turn completely around and Mirage is the shoe in for the official couple (or at the very least Freyja gets friend zoned).
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17

The new costumes is a nice look, 6 insert song in one episode (with one new) Makina's fanservice galore, and I think Bogue likes Reina.

When Mirage was walking away, I thought she was ready to throw in the towel and give up on Hayate (who was so fixated on Freyja) but at the end, she seems to have newfound courage and gets back into the game. Especially since...

Freyja found out Hayate's dad dropped the dimensional bomb (who did not see this coming a mile away) and her rune went all dark. Also in the back of the building, as Freyja was about to confess to Hayate they were interrupted by the elderly couple, afterwards Hayate said something about 1 or 2 years (something to do with her family I think) and Freyja's rune went dark. He realized he just said something uncool. Way to ruin the moment.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, I didn't mind the Makina fanservice. I didn't mind it at all.

Freya is so head over heels in love with Hayate that I can't help but cheer for her. Although some things in episode put some doubts in her head, there is no way those things could change her feelings at this point.

I'm not sure I fully understood that part where Freya's music somehow does something to Hayate. He later made it sound like that was just Freya's music being so powerful in a good way, but was he covering it up? Because in that scene where the music gets to him, it looks like it's a bad thing. Was that like supposed to be Hayate realizing his feelings? Or that Hayate being able to sync up with Freya is somehow bad for his health? I dunno.

VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
I think Bogue likes Reina.

Haha! That part made me laugh. HIm frantically pressing that button was funny. He did want to see more though. He just doesn't want to admit it. Laughing
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Ok, that was the most AKB0048 style song number yet.

Yeah, it is pretty obvious the follow up "reveal" is the Hayate's dad brought music to Freyja, but being in the friendzone at best is guaranteed as Hayate has zero tact for bringing up bad news.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
No surprise that Hayate's dad dropped the dimension weapon, but it is interesting that he dropped it on a NUNs base rather than a Windemere installation.

The pics of Makina were nice, though I wish they'd have shown what the images of the other girls included.

VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
Hayate said something about 1 or 2 years (something to do with her family I think)

Her life span, actually. One or two years might be nothing to Hayate, but to Freyja it's a good chunk of her life.

They spent so much time putting them together, now I guess they're throwing in all kinds of stuff for why it can't work between them.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I really just wish Mirage would say something. Don't just mope in the background, do something to make me care that your heartbroken
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well at least she's acting more like Kokone (accepts he likes some one else) and less like Zessica (just sat in the corner moping about why he liked some one else and not her).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what you're referring to
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
I think those are characters from the Aquarion series. It's related because Kawamori is the guy (at least one of them) behind Macross and Aquarion. I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 20