• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

Instead of unraveling the mystery around Mikumo, we get a whole episode about a arms dealer explaining to the crew about something that we already know because its the foundation Macross is built on: Songs are weapons. kinda redundant, its always about the song. I think the developers are getting nostalgic, with all those flashbacks, that or they're trying to condense the entire history for newcomers to catch up quickly.

The Var syndrome has something to do with Vajra? where did this theory come from? Also do you think Windermerean had a chance if they were faced with the Vajra instead>

Mirage is finally going on the offensive (came on quite strong too), now that Freyja is all moody and feels guilty about almost killing Hayate with her song. it can still happen, its anyone's game right now.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
Episode 19

Instead of unraveling the mystery around Mikumo, we get a whole episode about a arms dealer explaining to the crew about something that we already know because its the foundation Macross is built on: Songs are weapons. kinda redundant, its always about the song.

While other series had them weaponizing songs, that's a bit different from the discussion here about whether or not the Protoculture invented songs to be weapons in the first place. Such a thought will have a big impact on some one like Freyja, who believes songs are meant to spread happiness to everyone.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
This episode did feel like a big history lesson and a massive info dump, but I didn't mind that. I found myself enjoying what I was watching.

VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
Mirage is finally going on the offensive (came on quite strong too), now that Freyja is all moody and feels guilty about almost killing Hayate with her song. it can still happen, its anyone's game right now.

To me it seems like Mirage doesn't have a chance. It seems to me that Hayate considers Mirage to be just a friend while he has shown to have some romantic feelings towards Freya. This show has been building that Freya x Hayate relationship for quite a long time now. Suddenly turning it around this late and have Mirage win would perhaps feel a bit like an asspull. I dunno, they'd have to do something magical for Hayate to end up with Mirage and for it to feel fulfilling.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I am slightly off put by this episode, the exposition for this viewers experience felt ham fisted "you might not know this, but Macross has been around for a while!".

And sadly it felt less about tying up the various Macross series and instead seemed to hint more that the "weaponize idol singing" is most blatant the plot point for the second cour of AKB0048, indeed Idols are a Weapon to Surpass Metal Gear.

My main issue is that the conversation didn't feel natural enough for Mr. arms dealer to bring up modern history in the Macross-verse and how all of it ties back to idol singers.

For me, this is easily the weakest episode so far regardless of whatever "integral" information was shared and no doubt when we finally get a digest "Macross Delta: THE MOVIE" experience this side track to yester-year will be cut out or completely rewritten into the work.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, this ep taught me that I should probably watch the other shows in the franchise. that's one hell of a family Mirage has
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's mostly recap with the events and history of Macross, I still loved this week's episode. Regarding Mikumo, she's definitely not normal but even if she's an android, I think her place always belong with the Walkures and her friends (like a family).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Well, this ep taught me that I should probably watch the other shows in the franchise. that's one hell of a family Mirage has

Yep, Mirage's mother is the second youngest of seven daughters. Out of the seven Jenius girls, only three of them (Komilia, the eldest, shown as an infant in the original Macross series; Mylene, the youngest, as the main character of Macross 7; and Emilia, the fifth born, in Macross 7: The Galaxy Is Calling Me) are ever featured prominently in any of the Macross series. The other four only appear in a family photograph owned by Emilia that she shows in the Macross 7 movie.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
They also adopted a kid in one of the video games.

Unlike Gundam which will create whole new continuities, Macross has been set in the same universe for the past 34 years so a history lesson for newer viewers isn't a bad idea. And it's not like this was a pointless clip show with reused footage. Almost all the art is new and it highlights the role of music in the history. Song being effective against new threats was always treated as mostly a coincidence and it took awhile for people to realize it was working. Macross II was the only work that had "Let's sing at the enemy!" be the very first thing they tried.

So now we have the idea that it wasn't that new threats were just coincidentally all weak to music, but that music was designed to be a weapon in the first place.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So now we have the idea that it wasn't that new threats were just coincidentally all weak to music, but that music was designed to be a weapon in the first place.

I am going to roll with that singing "can be used as a weapon" but that wasn't the main intent of the protoculture, the hints we have is that the protoculture constructed several large scale facilities that can reacte to certain "special" idols (windermere refers to such as the Starsinger, so we can roll with that term) and the facilities can react to one another through what appears to be the known galaxy when a Starsinger performs.

Whatever the protoculture's intent, it is no doubt lost upon whoever is currently alive in the Macross verse so it is the equivalent of children using musical instruments as clubs.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
A little off-topic, but is there a reason why they're spelling Walkure with a W instead of V? We all know their meant Valkyrie. Because it just sounds ridiculous when you say Vaccine with a W. Are they having trouble pronouncing the V or is it done intentionally?
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
It is the German spelling of valkyrie. The W has a V sound (V has a F sound). It is no more ridiculous that using Aegis instead of Aigis, Solomon instead of Shlomo, Horai instead of Penglai, etc. There is no in-universe explanation for choosing that explanation. But the external reasoning might be that they want to avoid using the same word as the VF-1 valkyrie.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
Also variable fighters are in general called valkyries not just VF1 so even more of a reason
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
19 episode in, and so far the only death are Messer and that rookie pilot under Herman. Any prediction whether another member of the main cast is going to kick the bucket?

Mirage is a likely candidate, since Freyja and Mirage are both fighting for Hayate's affection, she might do some kind of self-sacrifice near the end as a way of saying "I give up, he's yours" or vice-versa.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Hayate assuming the Delta is truly about "changes", otherwise the safe bet for "good guy" death is Mikumo, Mirage in my opinion is a safe bet at surviving.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

The story shouldn't be progressing this slowly, especially now that we're only 6 episodes away from the end. Freyja wants to quit singing, Hayate threatens to quit flying, and Mirage finally loses her cool and yells at the both of them to wake up from their dazed state (she's been saving that all this time)

Kaname and the other girls wants to take a look at Mikumo's condition so Kaname sneaks in but gets detected because Reina the brilliant hacker screws up for the first time. In the end we still see Mikumo in a test tube just like in the last teaser and learned nothing extra.

The writers are probably saving all the important plots, action, and un-answered questions till the last few episodes, and then dump it all out in one go trying to overwhelm us. It doesn't work like that, by boring your audience ahead of time, they won't look forward to the action and mystery that comes later no matter how good it is. Its a case of poor balance between action, plot, and character building. Frontier didn't have this problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 20