• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Sukeroku's still got it! That was awesome.
The reunion really bought a smile to my face this episode just seeing at them spending time like old friends.

I'm starting to like that Konatsu kid too because of her love of rakugo. Someday, I think she might even have what it takes...

Based on the ending, I guess Miyokichi might still have feelings for Kiku?....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I was totally taken by surprise when both of them were involved in telling the story, the duo performance was actually kind of awesome. I knew that the first thing he would do to Sukeroku would be to knock him, making his daughter go out and support him. Konatsu was also adorable, like from how her reaction to him changed once finding out he was a Rakugo performer, and her general enthusiasm for Rakugo.

I had not really even thought that Rakugo would be a mainly male performance, so Konatsu would be at bit of a disadvantage at this time even with her enthusiasm for the craft.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I guess Miyokichi might still have feelings for Kiku?....

I really feel bad for her .. seeing her in that condition. And she seems to have no joy in her perfectly adorable daughter.

Konatsu: I can't remember but I recall back in the first episode she didn't seem to be all that fond of Kiku even though she was living with him. But they seem to have gotten off to a pretty good start.

How does this anime keep getting better and better? It clearly should be rated Masterpiece ten stars.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I had not really even thought that Rakugo would be a mainly male performance, so Konatsu would be at bit of a disadvantage at this time even with her enthusiasm for the craft.

That was spelled out in the first episode. But I really appreciated Kiku's gentle explanation to her, instead of just crushing her with, "silly, girls can't be rakugo performers."

Oh, that dual performance was lovely!

I think Miyokichi just hates rakugo because it reminds her of Kiku. Rakugo is the other woman to Miyokichi, from back when she was with Kiku (or worse, she's the side mistress while rakugo is the beloved wife). So seeing Sukeroku do it became too painful (and maybe she was worried that he might leave her first to go back to it), and even more so when her child picked it up. It probably got to the point where Sukeroku himself reminded her too much of Kiku, even when not performing. Time to run away again. But she still didn't run far enough.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
episode eleven

Little Konatsu is now my favorite part of this show, handily. It's a shame that we really won't get to see much more (or perhaps even any more) of adult Konatsu. One thing that's really hurting this series in my eyes is that the first episode sets up a connection from this giant flashback to the present that is never going to be completely fulfilled (in the anime). If they were only going to adapt the Kiku & Sukeroku arc then the first episode's value is pretty limited.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

So we now know how it happened, and it does seem to somewhat fit into the Rakugo lovers' suicide thing. In the end it was him trying to save the one he cared about from being dragged down alone, somewhat like the story this week, and he left his daughter to Bon.

He never got to make his return, the only records we might have seen in the first episode would have been before he was expelled, which makes it sadder.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I think that's the longest stretch of total silence I've ever seen in an anime, maybe in any medium (and it totally worked). Even Asuka and Rei had elevator sfx. Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
Crazy episode. I knew Miyokichi would eventually reunite with Kiku but not in that bizarre way. What a cliffhanger. Looks like the flashbacks will end next time.

As usual, I just love the rakugo performances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
episode twelve

It was really nice to see a complete, unadorned Rakugo performance again. Easily the highlight of the episode for me.

I'm looking forward to returning to the story's present, but sadly there's so little time left for there to really be much follow-up or compare/contrast between the characters of the past and the characters of the present. The show would really need a second season for that.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
It was really nice to see a complete, unadorned Rakugo performance again. Easily the highlight of the episode for me.

Well of course. But then only to be shown that sspoiler[uch a performance will never be seen again.]

All Miyokichi's fault and understandable at the same time. Poor thing lost the love of her life to rakugo and just didn't want that to happen with the man she married. Of course it was foolish of her to fail to realize it didn't have to be that way particularly since she was trained as a performance artist herself.

WW-II era building codes in Japan weren't very impressive.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

The building could have been quite a bit older than that, especially considering that the town the were in seemed to be quite a distance away from Tokyo or other Japanese city.
shizukanashinah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
If they were only going to adapt the Kiku & Sukeroku arc then the first episode's value is pretty limited.

Maybe it's a sign. Smile
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

They're true villain of the series, really. I wasn't really expecting this show to be an elaborate petition for better architectural standards in Japan, but I think they made it work.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Solid finale and show overall. I really liked the overall characterization and in general, the extensive storytelling from start to finish about Kiku. I feel like he's developed quite a bit despite that I didn't like him much from the beginning.

The rakugo performances were great too with the style, lyrics, body languages, and character portrayal. Good show and glad to see that it got another season, well deserved. I hope we won't have to wait long for it! Rating it as Excellent.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that we never got to see Konatsu or Yotaro's reaction to the story Kiku has been telling them all season. I'm so happy about the new season, because I think it means we'll get to see that eventually. There are still some unanswered questions about the past though, like when did Sukeroku record all those albums (had someone been recording his Tokyo performances all along and then released them posthumously?)? Why was he wearing different clothes in Kiku's telling than in Konatsu's memory from episode 1?

One thing I don't think we'll get an answer to is why the police waited until after they cremated the bodies to ask Kiku about that night. Or maybe we will. I hope we don't have long to wait for season 2, but I also want them to take their time to make it as exquisite as season 1 has been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6