• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
I've long been suspicious of Kiku's story about that night. For one, he was wearing different clothes in Kiku's telling than in Konatsu's memory from episode 1. Blood spatter was different too. Also, Kiku took off his cloak before beginning his story, just like a rakugo performance. So I've been waiting for this revelation for a long time. Now to find out what precipitated the whole thing. Only Yakumo can answer that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Oh damn! Sure didn't see that coming! They couldn't have waited ten minutes?

Even before the end, I was on the edge of my seat the whole episode. Wiping a few tears myself.

Poor Yakumo though. He just kept getting hit with one thing after another that people had been doing behind his back. I'm surprised he didn't end up with another heart attack.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
I think that I actually gasped before getting a big smile when realising that Yotaro was doing the telling of Sukeroku's last rakugo. And it came after the hilarious moment where the lady forced Yakumo out to the performance rather than run away, that is not even an especially original, but coming from the head geisha against Yakumo. And earlier in the episode we had Konatsu kind of cut the tough talk and say stronger what her adoptive father meant to her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 9

Totally noticed the red eyes in the OP, and it really was relevant to the episode. Not sure if it was touched on more, but was it intentional what happened? He talked about wanting to die while performing, handed off the fan, sounding like he was passing off responsibility, told people he wanted to be alone and for them to go away, and did a performance on death, the visuals used had him flinging the candle into the audience. It was like the implication that he planned to kill himself, as well as Rakugo by killing it in destroying the theatre. It seems kind of clear some of his opinions on the art, perhaps in his idea of wanting to end poetically, and he seemed to think of the Shinigami as "the" god of performance, like he did not like his end lacking it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I think red-eyed Sukeroku is Yakumo's suicidal Shinigami self. So while obviously it had to be Yakumo who threw the candle since he was alone (arson charges ahoy!), in his hallucinatory state it was Shinigami Sukeroku who moved his hand.

It's also interesting that during that scene his eyes are not always red. It's only when he's urging him to let go that they're red. When he's just casually chatting with him and not judging his current state, they're brown.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
So it looks like spoiler[Yakumo is probably going to kick the bucket] next week. I better get the tissues ready.

The moments between Yakumo and Konatsu this week were so nice. Congrats to Konatsu and Yota too. I'm glad we see Konatsu opening up more to both men.

This series needs to be licensed.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 9:

This show is a rollercoaster of emotions. The latest episode almost made me cry but I'm so glad to see Konatsu and Yakumo make amends. In the meantime, the way they adapt Yakumo's character has been very appealing as one of the most interesting characters of this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, that is Konatsu's favourite Rakugo, the one she liked performing when she was a kid. It kind of speaks volumes for what that moment must mean to Yakumo, Konatsu at his side, her husband performing the rakugo along with her son. Konatsu thanking him for raising her was one of the sweetest parts of the series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

A day in the (after)life of our season 1 cast. I think it was especially nice in a meaningful way that our main character went through the ages, being young bon until he is the dignified 8th generation, that there was a sort of beauty in his aging. Something gained from reaching a full life.

It was sad, what with a character like Miyokichi removed from her villain like role, a woman who could not express how much she cared about her own daughter. That it all came to an end. It even becomes kind of clear that Sukeroku and Miyokichi had no intention to mooch off of their dear friend.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

I actually clapped at the end of this, something so kind of silly to do alone at home, but Suuuuper good. A few things to talk about for this epilogue. Koyuki was awesome, she felt like a perfect blend between her father and mother that she felt incredivly fun with her on screen. Shin was great, I loved how his performance seemed to have a combination of things from his "grandfather" and his father, and his own spoiled child thing seemed right in line with what we saw of him as a kid with charm. Quotation marks for grandfather because something big was kind of let out, not that anything was confirmed, but done with a wink, I think that there were even more complicated things, and something Konatsu says she was happy to finally get out of. Older Konatsu and Yotarou were also awesome, although rather than him even being Sukeroku anymore he actually took the name of 9th generation Yakumo. Laughing That had me laughing.

Paragraph ended, but have to also mention Matsuda, the sweetest guy ever, I don't think I even realised he was kind of a stand in for the audience in ways, but also his reflection on the whole story was kind of beautiful. But also the last rakugo of the show, as Yakumo 9th was winding up for the story I was the only thing I could say was "Shinigami" because that had to be it, the story that started the whole show. With so little time it maybe only leave you a little sad not to see Konatsu do another performance, but she in general had her part in mention of being part of the changes to the art.

I really loved this show, it gets a Masterpiece (10/10) from me, the show was art, and at its conclusion it surpasses its strength that it left out on its first season. This is a show able to really pull of bringing out passion of an art form that many people may have never even considered. I had no will expectation but the show kind of gripped me by its double length first episode, threw me in the seat of a theatre and told me that there was a story to tell, and I was entirely complicit. Sad as it is for something good to come to an end, an entire story is also great, as kind of said at the end, something great won’t end as long as people are passionate about it, and I don’t think the great things that this show represented are really gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6