• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Guide to the Animator Expo Shorts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
BrotatoSoup wrote:
Which Animation is that gif at the end from? It looks phenomenal!?!? Like I'm searching everywhere for it.

it's from Iconic Field if I'm remembering correctly
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
The 23rd? Damn, I better get started. I've only seen a few when this whole thing first started.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
My favorite was I can Friday by Day very colorful I hope to see more of it in the Future. Very Happy
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
Damn. I watched a few of these but I need to catch up. I love these anthology series, and I too hope they get a dvd/blu ray release at least in Japan. Though its a shame he said to skip Power Plant 33, as that was my favorite vid. The cgi Eva one was pretty cool too. The cockroach girl one was good too, though I wasn't a big fan of its animation at the beginning of the video. And Me Me Me was awesome. The music was trippy, and I liked the small Eva references. Reminded me of Evangelion/FLCL/Abenobashi era Gainax (as opposed to Gurren Lagaan/PSG/Imaishi Gainax)
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad I saw this article before they were taken down. I finished watching the first two seasons and I think my favorites were Carnage and 20min Walk. Most of them had pretty awesome animation, though.

Should this only have one entry on ANN's encyclopedia? Or should all three seasons have their own?
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
I dunno I felt I disagreed with the reviewer on more than a few of which ones to see. I say watch them all. They all have something different to offer, if you don't like what you see stop watching.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
TrustTheFungus wrote:
Should this only have one entry on ANN's encyclopedia? Or should all three seasons have their own?
If it were up to me, I'd have an anthology entry titled "Japan Animator Expo" and then have separate entries for each individual short related to that main entry. See, e.g., Genius Party and Memories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I take all those "recommendations" as just personal opinions as I found I disagreed with most of them. However having said that I do agree with "On a Gloomy Night." It would bring chills down the spine of just about every Member of Diet. Perhaps it's just as well that China isn't a part of the TPP. Wink

For something that was suppose to be highlighting new talent, it seemed to be dominated by the old school showing off what they could do if they had carte blanc.

I quite liked Hill Climb Girl if only for the race team dream sequence. The detail was spot on right down to the sponsorship and equipment. A blatant copy right and trademark violation, but the head office didn't even bat an eyebrow over it. A bit dated though as Bradley Wiggens no longer races for Sky, or anyone else for that matter allegedly. Wink

Memoirs of Amorous Gentlemen: the design style reminded me of Kanae Hazuki's design for "Say, I Love You". As I was watching it I kept thinking it was Mai and Yamato, a 180 role reversal.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this article. Though I put the writer's opinions about the shorts into high consideration while visiting the site, I still ended up watching all of them. I personally advise others to do the same as all shorts have something interesting to offer (and they're really not that long). However, if you're a busy person and they will close them in a matter of time, then the recommendations are good for prioritising.

Joining the other posts, I also really like The Diary of Ochibi and I can Friday by Day!. I was very impressed; they were very creative in concept and execution.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I knew about this for a while but I never go around to seeing every short. I saw some sporadically and re-watched (most of) them thanks to this article but having seen season 1 and 2, I have to say I liked them all in some way or another. As to my favorites:

Yamadeloid: Some of my least favorite shorts are the ones that are more mecha focused or too CGI heavy, but I really got a laugh from how big of a middle finger this short pulled by the end, and I really did laugh at seeing the whole thing be this weird music video. Very Amusing.

The dairy of Ochibi: Any time I see stop motion I always see it as one of the greatest feats of human patience. I didn't think it was THE cutest short of them all but damn did they work a lot harder than a lot of the others that solely tried to be cute.

I can by friday/Sex violence & mach speed: I think I like by Friday more than SV&MS, but I like both of their visuals the same. I really want to try something creating something with limited color. I'm not sure if it's the best in this aspect but Friday had some awesome color usage.

Power plant 33/Dragon Dentist: I'm a sucker for world building and while I think I like Dragon Dentist a little more (no mechas!) I did find both of these interesting as concepts for series I'd want to see completed.

Tomorrow from there: Took me a minute to really get attached to the story but I aboslutly loved the colors and visuals.

Carnage: Nice story, even if it's a bit too dark for my tastes with a nice style to match.

20 minute walk: Had the most fluid and interesting animation that I could see

To mention a few others I'm cool with me me me but I don't think I'm in love or enamored with it as much as the rest of the internet is, and Obake chan, while having a nice cute visual style really only made me want to buy that T-shirt mentioned in the article just to weird people out. I did take the most screenshots from that short of that's anything to say.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I know the odds of the Animator Expo coming to the US is low (maybe Madman Entertainment in Australia will take the chance) but, I feel that there should be more anthologies in the industry.

I think you are thinking of Siren Visual. Madman are by-and-large a FUNimation type outfit. Siren were the ones that released Genius Party, which was quite similar to this in many regards. Sadly not in print anymore.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The ones I particularly liked were "Hill Climb Girl"... "Me! Me! Me!," "20min Walk," "Yamadeloid," "Kanón," "The Diary of Ochibi," and "I Can Friday by Day!," ..."Obake-chan"
I agree, and add "Dragon Dentist". "20 min. Walk" is a wonderful piece of hand animation, which seems is being lost but so good to see. I loved the story, made me think the woman was insecure about being seen as a pest in the boyfriend's life and then waking to thinking the roles were reversed only to be relieved that wasn't the case. "The Diary of Ochibi" is a great piece of stop action animation, shows what can be done these days. Joy of Simplicity. Then there was "I Can Friday by Day!" which made me think of the "war of words" some frenemies wage. These reminded me of the International Festival of Animation with Jean Marsh and much from Spike and Mike's Festivals (when Mike was alive, God rest him). OK, it is 11 pm PST, if you are reading, you have 8 hours to watch these or wait for the DVD. Thank you ANN and Mr. Cirugeda for this, I had no idea prior that these were viewable! Only hope more of these collections are done.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Had to quick watch these before they got taken down. Saw Yamadeloid when it was first uploaded, but I put off watching the others because I never considered the possibility of them being removed. Now that I'm all caught up, need to get started on the third season.

My favorites were as follows: Carnage (very Tarantino like), 20 Min Walk (great sense of action), Tomorrow From There (simple and captivating), Yamadeloid (fabulous and upbeat, great song), Kanon (frantic and funny, good story), Sex & Violence (like something straight out of the underground comix scene), Obake-chan (too cute, liked how they put Kom, Susser Tod in the credits), Diary of Ochibi (I was afraid nepotism would result in a piece that was lack-luster, but man this is amazing, all those cups!) and Iconic Field (felt like a mash up of the Heavy Metal movie and late 80s era anime).

Also, big props to Megumi Hayashibara and Koichi Yamadera for doing all the vocal work on these shorts. Didn't even realize it was only two people at first.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Lightning Superman Gridman was great. I had a bunch of those toys when I was a kid (the original series was brought over and remade like power rangers for the US) and seeing them animated was a lot of fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2