• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: English Release of Xenoblade Chronicles X Removes Bust-Customization Option

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jajanken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Do people seriously give a shit? Its still a good game, matter of fact I'm happy there's one less stupid option that takes up loading time data.

[Edit]: removed denigrating comment. Errinundra.
livinew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Pathetic. Why is the West so afraid/offended of boobs?
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
The rest of the world is just not ready for Japan. Ain't nothing new. Certain people won't buy the game now just like with Fatal Frame(Yes, they are serious).
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
Do people seriously give a shit? Its still a good game, matter of fact I'm happy there's one less stupid option that takes up loading time data.

Because it is censorship. It doesn't matter whether it's important or not. Just wait for something you like to be censored and for others to go "who gives a shit?"
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOO ANYTHING BUT THE BOOBS T^T
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I'm a girl, and I'd like to customize my character to look as close to me as possible... Even in the bust area. lol
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:

Yeah, it's not like *gasp* girls play these games and might want to create avatars that represent their own bodies!

It's an insanely immature move on NoA's part. By doing this, they are saying that a natural part of a woman's body is too sexual for their male customers and that their female customers - those for whom this feature should be primarily used by - just don't matter enough to them. It is a T-rated game and they are treating us like children.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
livinew wrote:
Pathetic. Why is the West so afraid/offended of boobs?

We're not. This is 100% Nintendo. Boob sliders are fairly common in other games. Any character custimization feature worth it's salt has some sort of body/bust slider. Final Fantasy XIV has one, for example. Even the little Lalafell girls.In this case, it's nothing about 'the west', just Nintendo of America being Nintendo of America.

Of course people get upset. Personally, it's a bit ridiculous that as an adult I have to have other adults tell me what I can and can't enjoy. A T rated game is one thing, and you can easilly make the argument that it's a parent's job to make the call if they're okay with their kid playing a game with boobs in it, but Fatal Frame is an M rated game so even if one wants to defend it in Xenoblade, Fatal Frame is an entire other argument. Just imagine if it wasn't boobs, but something else. Violence, guns, whatever. Apparently, the girls in Xenoblade and Fatal Frame can run around with a gun or sword and kill people, or get strangled to death by ghosts, but they' got to be doing it out of a bikini, and with smaller breasts. And let's remember we're not even talking about naked breasts, we're talking about clothed ones. All the stuff in Xenoblade makes me worry about how SMT x FE is going to turn out in America. The trailer for that game seems pretty anime-esque with it's girls, but we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

-Stuart Smith
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
Regardless of sexual sensitivity, this is unbridled censorship and removes a feature from the game. Very dumb outdated move by whoever was involved. This is the same mentality that doomed us to 10 years of censored anime dubs by 4kids.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
At first I assumed the Xenoblade character creator was going to be fairly detailed (like being able to control the size of your shoulders, your waist, etc.) basically a la Sims 4. But from the video, it looks like you could only control your overall mass and your bust size?

I mean it's still odd that Nintendo took out that feature, but I'm still wrapping my head around why a bust size slider, of all things, was vitally important to what seems to be an otherwise very basic literal body builder. Laughing

(I know, I know, it's the principle of the matter. Still, from where I'm sitting, it's just an all-around silly feature to both have AND to take away, given how simple the system is.)
Enner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Jajanken wrote:
Do people seriously give a shit? Its still a good game, matter of fact I'm happy there's one less stupid option that takes up loading time data. Is there anyone autistic enough to be mad over this?

Because it is censorship. It doesn't matter whether it's important or not. Just wait for something you like to be censored and for others to go "who gives a shit?"

I hope you consider the possibility that what the other person likes is "a good story" and might implicate you with liking "boob slider." And to know the odds of how that usually plays out.

I find this case of Nintendo Treehouse using it's artistic license to be an amusing oddity. The only sad thing I can think is that I would've liked to reduce the bust of a character. The default is rather... shapely.

Also, maybe it's a conspiracy on Monolith Soft's side. Maybe they didn't want us to have modifiable boobs!

As for the concern with Genei Ibun Roku #FE: I know this year has seen edits to Fatal Frame 5 and Xenoblade X. But keep in mind that these are most likely the same people that let Fire Emblem: Awakening (hey there Nowi) and Bayonetta 2 pass. The boob jiggle and swimsuits of #FE are most likely safe. The loli swimsuits might not be, though. Also, don't forget to bring a towel.

If anything, Nintendo localization operate on a different plain of consistency then one we are used to.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
What the hell...? It's character customization, that's not inherently sexual at all. No idea why they're censoring that, I suppose they aren't considering female players whatsoever and are only looking at it from the pervy otaku perspective, and then judging the feature based on that one viewpoint alone. We do live in a world with game patches, though, so there's always hope that they'll change their minds, even after release.

Like, now we can't even reduce the size. (I'm assuming that flat chests are an option on the scale in the Japanese version.)
Mapmerry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
I guess I was the only person who was going to roll with a male character.

I would actually be more annoyed if they removed some kind of bust slider from my mecha.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
And then there are the philosophy references they removed because "they wanted cooler-sounding names".
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
I was gonna play as a male anyway but this still irks me. Breasts come in different sizes and there's absolutely no reason to shy away from that. I thought Nintendo was past the age of pointless censorship.

If the new Fire Emblem game is treated similar I'm just not going to get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9