• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Network's Holiday 2015 Gift Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This male model is serious about Megaman:

While this male model is Megaman-ambivalent:

CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Those Sailor Moon clothes are gorgeous! I'm petite and I remember the horror days when oversized t-shirts were most of what was offered for nerdy clothes ( God bless the return, and staying power, of the baby tee). It's fantastic that actual clothes with actual shape are becoming more and more available for people who enjoy both looking good and celebrating being a fan.

Slight edit: That would be clothes for anyone older than 10. I had a beautiful Sailor Moon nightshirt back in the day; Kids have had nice 'for fans' clothes for decades.
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Fair warning for anyone interested in the Madoka acrylic art or the Holy Quintet: we only have one of each left in stock, and once we've sold out, we won't be getting any more in stock.

If you're really wanting them, please don't wait to place your order!
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Pfffffff, that humidifier, that got a good laugh out of me. Laughing

What will they think next?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
On the Apple TV vs. Roku, this doesn't quite hold up:
Quote:
the freshly-released new version of the Apple TV, with [...] basically every streaming service you could want

Not really. Apple TV lacks both Funimation and Amazon Instant Video (and Viki, for what it's worth), although now that the platform is open to third-party apps, these services might appear in due time. That said, Apple TV is the only way to watch purchases from iTunes, which offers quite a lot of download-to-own anime.

Roku has more streaming services, and probably always will, but cannot play your iTunes purchases.
BVerfG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I don't have anyone I would give an Anime related gift to, but these guides are genuinely entertaining^^

"you may be entitled to their first born"

Lal. And the Free rambling about beefcake^^ Kudos, you amused me.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
All these fancy collector editions and limited editions suggestions and all I asked for on my wish list in terms of actual anime series were the basic Blu-rays of Cowboy Bebop and Gatchaman Crowds. Embarassed
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Surprised the collected works of Hayao Miyazaki wasn't on the list.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
doesn't have subtitles on it (or a dub), has to be imported and can't really be had for less than $300.

I don't see much point on recommending an expensive BD import of Evangelion then. Evangelion is arguably the most important anime of all time, but I rather wait 2-3 years for a N.A. BD release.

Article wrote:
I have to admit, I never saw Beyond the Boundary past the first episode, but let's say like I did watch the show and I really loved it – this would be the one thing I wanted.

Unless you are a hardcore KyoAni fan or you just care about pretty visuals and nothing else, Beyond the Boundary is not a good recommendation. It has a crappy story that goes nowhere for the first 2/3 of the show, and the characters are anime cliches. I am even surprised Sentai gave a CE to a series this lousy.

And I also do not get how can a recommendation be taken seriously when the person recommending the show has not even watched all of it. Unless this list is being put together for smart ass, dedicated fans (like me) who have already watched all the recommended anime and are here just to scrutinize this article.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I personally own the Knights of Sidonia LE, and it's pretty great. If you liked the show, or if you like scifi stuff, i can't recommend it enough.

I've been pretty tempted to pick up those Turn-A Gundam sets for a while; i've only ever seen the original Mobile Suit Gundam movies (which i liked), but i'm pretty cautious about buying shows i haven't seen before.

Would you guys say that Turn A Gundam is acceptable for *casual* Gundam fans? I may have to check some episodes out before i make a decision....
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Sidonia I want all of those Sentai special editions, and I want them pretty badly. Well, I'll probably just get the standard edition of Akame, and I can go either way for No Game, but I need that Beyond the Boundary special edition. Getting low on cash right now though, so I'll have to wait. No interest in Free, but that beefcake rant was amusing (though it kind of made me gag a bit). And I'd check out Expelled, but $49 is still a bit expensive for a movie.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Would you guys say that Turn A Gundam is acceptable for *casual* Gundam fans? I may have to check some episodes out before i make a decision....

Don't think of it as a gundam show and look into it has if it didn't have the name and was just another mecha show. It's just really different from every other gundam. Depending on what you want from mech show it can be good or not so good. The pacing is pretty weird and there are long stretch were nothing really happens. It's not downright bad, but I think there are better gundam and non gundam alternative.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And I also do not get how can a recommendation be taken seriously when the person recommending the show has not even watched all of it. Unless this list is being put together for smart ass, dedicated fans (like me) who have already watched all the recommended anime and are here just to scrutinize this article.

Pretty sure the description for that specifically says that the recommendation is intended to be "if you know someone who likes this show, this is a great gift". I'm not recommending the show, I'm recommending that particular special edition for fans of that show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pretty sure the description for that specifically says that the recommendation is intended to be "if you know someone who likes this show, this is a great gift". I'm not recommending the show, I'm recommending that particular special edition for fans of that show.

You could have only stated in the article that this is a gift recommendation for already established fans of the show and not add the unnecessary and cutesy phrase: "let's say like I did watch the show and I really loved it".
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
You could have only stated in the article that this is a gift recommendation for already established fans of the show and not add the unnecessary and cutesy phrase: "let's say like I did watch the show and I really loved it".

I think its a perfectly valid line, since it's a fantastic special edition for a lousy show. It makes me want to buy it, and I really disliked Kyoukai no Kanata.

I'm more or less comfortable with Japanese, but even if I weren't I would love the Eva Blu-ray box. The packaging is unique, and really gorgeous, weighty and with great extras. The price listed is probably form Amazon JP, which will ship it to you, but I paid about $100 AU to get the Japan-only Eva Store edition through a proxy buyer, which came with a script reproduction of the first episode. Considering the insane world of Japanese special edition prices, it's actually pretty reasonable, especially considering it comes with End of Evangelion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5