• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Network's Holiday 2015 Gift Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I came to this blu ray dvd holiday gift guide thinking there would be a list of black friday or just holiday deals I might of missed out on. So I found it misleading in a way. The eva tv blu ray import noone should buy outside of japan. Its not supporting the companies that might bring it over here and localize it and you will most likly buy it from a 3rd party store in japan that just do imports. I think it should be 3.33 thats coming out soon or 1.11 and 2.22.

On rightstuf the Chunibyo ce box is only 51 dollars. Its a way better deal than the Beyond the Boundary more bang for your buck and the shows are very similar. If you like the one youll most likly like the other
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice call on Expelled from Paradise. It looks like the most stereotypical 90s anime ever -- semi-naked hot chick with cool mech on the cover -- but turns into something smarter and sweeter.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
If you like the one youll most likly like the other

Not necessarily. One show is a well realized romantic comedy (Chuunibyou), and the other one is a narrative mess that does not know what it wants to do and be (Beyond the Boundary). Chuunibyou is one of my favorite animes, and I generally like what Kyoto Animation does. But Beyond the Boundary is so lousy that not even its fantastic visuals could redeem it much in my eyes.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
GaryNhk wrote:
If you like the one youll most likly like the other

Not necessarily. One show is a well realized romantic comedy (Chuunibyou), and the other one is a narrative mess that does not know what it wants to do and be (Beyond the Boundary). Chuunibyou is one of my favorite animes, and I generally like what Kyoto Animation does. But Beyond the Boundary is so lousy that not even its fantastic visuals could redeem it much in my eyes.

Kyoto Animation doesn't like to go out the comfort zone. They only like to do slice of life comedies. So I think Beyond the Boundary was a nice baby step on trying a bit more mature story. Its still in highschool but theres alot of blood and nice monster designs. They also try to step outside their comfort zone with Hyouka and it didn't do well for them.

I would like to see this company do a more mature or unique stories other than the lucky star, k on and free that sells for them
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
The eva tv blu ray import noone should buy outside of japan. Its not supporting the companies that might bring it over here and localize it and you will most likly buy it from a 3rd party store in japan that just do imports. I think it should be 3.33 thats coming out soon or 1.11 and 2.22.

This doesn't make any sense. I appreciate the efforts of distributors to provide a means to purchase anime I've seen and I know I like and want to purchase on home media, but the efforts I really appreciate are those of the ones who, you know, made the show. Anime is already available to me; while I appreciate the thought of localised releases, I care much more about owning a great, original release of the show than the repackaged (usually watered-down, but not necessarily) alternate-region version. If the eventual Funimation release has some good physical English-language extras, I'll probably just buy that as well. Everyone wins.

As for retailers: yes, stores not run by the licensor or production committee (like the Trigger Store or the NISAmerica Store)... well, exist. What's your point?
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
GaryNhk wrote:
The eva tv blu ray import noone should buy outside of japan. Its not supporting the companies that might bring it over here and localize it and you will most likly buy it from a 3rd party store in japan that just do imports. I think it should be 3.33 thats coming out soon or 1.11 and 2.22.

This doesn't make any sense. I appreciate the efforts of distributors to provide a means to purchase anime I've seen and I know I like and want to purchase on home media, but the efforts I really appreciate are those of the ones who, you know, made the show. Anime is already available to me; while I appreciate the thought of localised releases, I care much more about owning a great, original release of the show than the repackaged (usually watered-down, but not necessarily) alternate-region version. If the eventual Funimation release has some good physical English-language extras, I'll probably just buy that as well. Everyone wins.

As for retailers: yes, stores not run by the licensor or production committee (like the Trigger Store or the NISAmerica Store)... well, exist. What's your point?

A very small amount of people import anime. If American or any licensor outside of japan didn't buy the rights to localize it. They companies that make the show would make alot less. You support your fav show or japanese company more by buying the american release so that licensor will buy more right to their shows ect. The rare number of people importing the show doesn't come close to the people who buy in japan. So in a poll you don't matter.

Japan try their best to stop imports theres only a few rare cases like aniplex that sell release that has subtitles and a english booklet to understand the extras you get with a set. The eva blu ray set isn't like that at all and any fan that buys that its just a paper weight if you don't understand japanese.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
So I think Beyond the Boundary was a nice baby step on trying a bit more mature story. Its still in highschool but theres alot of blood and nice monster designs. They also try to step outside their comfort zone with Hyouka and it didn't do well for them.

I would like to see this company do a more mature or unique stories other than the lucky star, k on and free that sells for them

Hyouka actually did well; it averaged nearly 10k copies per volume. They have not animated more of it probably because there is not enough source material.

And I actually want KyoAni to do more works outside their comfort zone. I do not care much for Beyond the Boundary, but I do recognize that KyoAni tried to do something different with it.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
GaryNhk wrote:
So I think Beyond the Boundary was a nice baby step on trying a bit more mature story. Its still in highschool but theres alot of blood and nice monster designs. They also try to step outside their comfort zone with Hyouka and it didn't do well for them.

Hyouka actually did well; it averaged nearly 10k copies per volume. They have not animated more of it probably because there is not enough source material.

And I actually want KyoAni to do more works outside their comfort zone. I do not care much for Beyond the Boundary, but I do recognize that KyoAni tried to do something different with it.

The way you feel about Beyond the Boundary being poorly done is is the same way I felt about Hyouka. It was very pretty to watch so much detail in backgrounds and chars but the lack of story that goes on for 22 eps was hard to get through. They call it a Mystery show but the problems they solve simple why would they care ones like who drop this pen in the hallway and why did they....

I know the whole show was about point of view but by the end it felt like a dry slice of life that was missing alot. Oh the real Mystery to me was if his friend was gay. He wouldn't date a girl that he cares about and thats really into him, he's into fashion and cooking and the way he talk and acted were in a gay manor.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
Personally, I'll be bidding on an Evangelion cel on Mandarake and wasting all my personal spending money that way...

Good luck with the Mandarake BWA cels. Both the Asuka and Shinji cels are really nice.
BVerfG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
GaryNhk wrote:

The way you feel about Beyond the Boundary being poorly done is is the same way I felt about Hyouka. It was very pretty to watch so much detail in backgrounds and chars but the lack of story that goes on for 22 eps was hard to get through. They call it a Mystery show but the problems they solve simple why would they care ones like who drop this pen in the hallway and why did they....

I know the whole show was about point of view but by the end it felt like a dry slice of life that was missing alot. Oh the real Mystery to me was if his friend was gay. He wouldn't date a girl that he cares about and thats really into him, he's into fashion and cooking and the way he talk and acted were in a gay manor.

This is way OT. I agree with you on the Hyouka plot being quasi non-existant and it not really being a mystery. I thought it was pretty boring.

But you thought Satoshi might be gay?^^ I can't remember even the slightest hint that would point in that direction. Also they actually explained why he rejected the girl. Did you think that was some deep ploy to veil his homosexuality?^^ (I really don't want to attack you, it's just that I never even considered that)
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
A very small amount of people import anime. If American or any licensor outside of japan didn't buy the rights to localize it. They companies that make the show would make alot less.
Both points true, to a greater or lesser degree.
GaryNhk wrote:
You support your favorite show or japanese company more by buying the american release so that licensor will buy more right to their shows ect.
That's insane. There is no way paying half as much to an intermediary who has to cover production costs and make the company itself profitable adds up to a greater profit for the original creators than simply buying a much more expensive product directly from them. That's fundamentally illogical, unless you're saying your single purchase is the Blu-ray that breaks the camel's back and makes them license another show. I'm also under no obligation to buy something I don't want in the hopes that I make a licensor slightly more profitable and encourage them to support the people I actually want my money to go to. To be honest, I don't really care about supporting licensors, but that's not even relevant to this discussion.
GaryNhk wrote:
The rare number of people importing the show doesn't come close to the people who buy in japan.
Yes, and?
GaryNhk wrote:
So in a poll you don't matter.
I have no idea what this means. I'm not statistically significant in anything I do, certainly not the North American or Australian anime markets.
GaryNhk wrote:
Japan try their best to stop imports theres only a few rare cases like aniplex that sell release that has subtitles and a english booklet to understand the extras you get with a set
Not going out of their way to cater to a foreign market is not the same as actively trying to scare them away. Besides, plenty of releases do that (subtitles, that is). Not the majority, but a fair few. In direct opposition to this is the fact that Japanese companies try and stop reverse importation by making licensors lock the subtitles, delay the releases for significantly cheaper releases, etc. They're only shooting themselves in the foot if $50 to Sentai equals a greater profit than $200 to Kadokawa, right?
GaryNhk wrote:
The eva blu ray set isn't like that at all and any fan that buys that its just a paper weight if you don't understand japanese.
Yes, one would have to factor that in before choosing to buy it for oneself or another.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

A very small amount of people import anime. If American or any licensor outside of japan didn't buy the rights to localize it. They companies that make the show would make alot less. You support your favorite show or japanese company more by buying the american release so that licensor will buy more right to their shows ect. The rare number of people importing the show doesn't come close to the people who buy in japan. So in a poll you don't matter.

Japan try their best to stop imports theres only a few rare cases like aniplex that sell release that has subtitles and a english booklet to understand the extras you get with a set. The eva blu ray set isn't like that at all and any fan that buys that its just a paper weight if you don't understand japanese.

It's the buyer's choice to get a Japanese release or hope for a local release with English subtitles / dubs. In either case purchasing a legitimate release should support those who made the anime.

Each legitimate sale does matter, and so do the people buying the titles - they end up telling others if they thought it was worth getting.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Looking at the BD and DVD list...if someone were to come up to me and tell me these are my choices...the only ones I'd definitely go for are Beyond the Boundary and F/sn UBW (now to find someone willing to spend that much on me).

Maybes would be Turn A Gundam (and it would turn out to be the first Gundam series I'd end up watching), FMA, and Expelled from Paradise. These would all be kind of new to me, and the reason I say kind of is because I have seen some FMA.

Quote:
maybe make sure they're an Evangelion fan first

While I wouldn't call myself a fan of Evangelion (seeing as the only Evangelion thing I've come into contact with is the first 2 volumes of the Angelic Days manga), but I'd be pissed if someone were to have dropped that kind of money on that set.

And, no, not because of the price. I'm sure I'd get exciting unwrapping it...and then that'd all disappear when I see there's no subs or dub. The discs themselves would be nothing be coasters, so I'd hope they'd at least have some good disc art. Laughing
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
The only thing I have in the collectible gift list is the 1/144 scale Gundam Barbatos from Iron Blooded Orphans.

Totally recommend this kit as a gift, it is cheap but highly detailed and easier to build for beginner. Perfect for one who like mecha and Gundam shows.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not actually buying anyone anime gifts this year, but this whole thing was extremely fun to read anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5