• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Regarding all these locked posts

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I know this is is a dumb question but the people that end up having all these posts locked lately, are they even reading the rules at all? I mean, they will honestly have these dumbs (no offense) topics almost as if they want them to be locked. I'll understand if this rant I'm doing know will get locked.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually wish the mods would delete more of these threads since they also keep pushing down the legitimate threads off to the next page.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering that Tony K. and Nagi usually say "see rule #3" i.e. meaning discussions beyond one-liners and fanboy/girl squealing, I'd say no, they don't read "teh rules." Of course, I have to admit that I didn't read them either when I first got on here. But I certainly read them after I was gently scolded and saw others who were absolutely reamed.

Quote:
I actually wish the mods would delete more of these threads since they also keep pushing down the legitimate threads off to the next page.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think that if there was just the original post and other similar post breaking the rules, then yes. But, if the original post was poor but other posters did their best to follow the rules and stay on-topic then it should stay, especially if the original poster goes back and corrects their post.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
It's just because the rules of this particular site are so capricious, nonsensical, and out of touch with the rest of the Internet that they often catch people off guard. It would be unrealistic to expect otherwise.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's just because the rules of this particular site are so capricious, nonsensical, and out of touch with the rest of the Internet that they often catch people off guard. It would be unrealistic to expect otherwise.

Yeah because the rest of the internet and the standards they hold themselves to are such beacons of level-headedness or-

well actually in a less sarcastic tone I just would rather like somewhere like here, where it's a bit more strict. If I want to act like a tool I can just go to 4Chan or plenty of other boards.

+ I wud not lyk 2 reed dis al da tyme 50CENT
creativename

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
In truth, I only skimmed the rules. I've been around the net enough to know the various levels of behavior they expect, so I didn't really need to read it all before I could tell what they want here.

If I was the type of person who made threads however, I would very carefully read the rules first.

I actually probably will read the rules sooner or later anyway.

Quote:

Sometimes the locked threads can be interesting to read, and they provide shining examples of what not to do. Other forums have solved the problem by creating an area where they move all the locked threads to. It could work, though it doesn't seem to fit in with this type of forum very well.

Quote:

From what I can tell, not really. I've seen a lot of really strict forums. However my favorite forums are always the ones with the least moderation, as I usually can feel more relaxed about posting. But strict forums have their virtues.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
creativename wrote:
From what I can tell, not really. I've seen a lot of really strict forums. However my favorite forums are always the ones with the least moderation, as I usually can feel more relaxed about posting. But strict forums have their virtues.

Personally I like that this forum does force you to actually think about what your posting before mindlessly posting crap. Although every so often we get some wise guy (or gal) who thinks it's fun to spam or try to race to a thousand post.....why I couldn't tell ya. I've belong to several different forums and the one's that do have stronger rules last longer. As for the rules I didn't read them when I first register but I did lurk after my first few post until I got a feel for this forum.

Delta
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
well actually in a less sarcastic tone I just would rather like somewhere like here, where it's a bit more strict. If I want to act like a tool I can just go to 4Chan or plenty of other boards.

+ I wud not lyk 2 reed dis al da tyme 50CENT

There's most certainly a middle ground between moderation for cursing, abusive discussion, and complete illiteracy and moderating every little detail that's slightly out of place. I don't think a completely hands off approach results in a healthy board, but I do think that over-moderations stifles the free discussion of ideas. On a scale of 1-100 in which 50 is the perfect balance of fascism and free will, this board is closer to a 30-ish than it is to a 50. 4Chan would be like an 85 (/b being a 98). Anywhere between 40 and 60 most people would find fairly comfortable.

I've only seen tighter controls than this on corperate boards, where they choose to thought police comments that they interpret as being anti-their product.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing you're referring to this thread where the idiot states,

BerserkerXII wrote:
Hmph. Guess I should have expected those administraters to lock my last topic.

I guess the obvious answer is: no, they don't read the rules.

I don't think this forum is in any way "over-moderated". It's a professional site and thus they're justified in wanting professional (if not a level of decency appropriate for the inevitable presence of teen anime fans) content on its forums. If you want less moderation and more of the kind of crap that gets locked everyday these days, go over to a certain fansub's forums where even the moderators participate in flame wars.

/I use anime forum for... anime!
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

How can they? The interface is so confusing.

All the sticky threads are cluttered together so most people including myself just ignore them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Azathrael wrote:

All the sticky threads are cluttered together so most people including myself just ignore them.
How can they?

1) From the forum index page (the first page you reach when clicking "Forums" from the main site), go to the forum that says "Announcements and Teh Rules

2) In that forum, click the announcement that says "Teh Rules" (there are zero stickies in that forum, unlike this section)

3) Read the contents.

Not that confusing unless people are blind, ignorant, or just plain lazy, which I guess describes most of the people that make those kinds of threads. People who choose to ignore instead of taking 30 seconds of their time to read thread titles = ignorant.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:

And ignorance is an excuse, right? But that doesn't change the fact that you didn't read the rules.

I suggest you read it before you get banned. (insert rolls eyes)

/Zalis beat me!
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
People just want to do whatever they want on the internet. I know I wouldn't use it half as much if there was some massive code of conduct regarding what I had to be doing at all times. Most people see the internet either as their own personal property and thus they can do and say whatever they want at all times, or they see it as nobodies property and thus no one can tell them what to do without being a Nazi.

I read the rules on the first forum I ever joined and have never done more than skim any rule threads after that. Mainly because I typically mind my grammar at all times (I actually capitalize and use punctuation in MSN) and I don't do things that are retardedly outlandish that would disturb the board or make mods angry. The only things I get busted for tend to be swearing, going off-topic (I've actually taken down one or two topics on this site by accident Embarassed ) and fighting mods on either of those two things. When I do get busted I usually try and be cool about it and it rarely happens anyway so it isn't a big deal.

And personally, I prefer having around this site's level of moderation. The near zero-tolerence of off-topicness is really the only thing that I don't care for but its a fair trade-off to have most of the trolls and n00bs shut down quickly and flame wars put out just as effectively. Sites with very little moderation are best for people who don't care what others say on the internet and don't try and accomplish anything on the site. Sites with massive moderation are only good when you're really trying to get something done or if you don't have much of anything to say and just want to read what people are talking about. This site has a nice balance that leans a bit towards the serious side.
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually, my last thread was locked as well, and I was not given a clear explanation of why. That thread was actually pretty intelligent and universal, and it was about whether or not people actually read posts. Here's TK's thread-locking post.

Tony K. wrote:
I just skimmed this thread... Not sure what everyone said, but the way things look, I think it'd be safe to lock this before it gets out of hand.

Now note here that no rules were cited, no particular examples were made, and it was pretty sarcastic, and I think that TK was on a thread locking spree in those five minutes. The rest of the thread had a good amount of intelligent posting, and it would have been better if he just had chastized the couple of the posters that were off-topic.

Now, I think that the mods should fire off warnings for things that are not in clear violation of the rules. It seems pretty silly that many of the offending posts that are locked/offending are just simply locked/deleted without a real explanation which then we don't learn anything, with or without reading the rules.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I was left a bit miffed on that one myself TcDohl. My post wasn't an essay or anything, but you'd have a hard time arguing it was 'unproductive' or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5