• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Regarding all these locked posts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I like the policy of deleting shorter posts, just because they make people actually have to stop and think and actually say something that might be of interest to other people. It leads to much more interesting topics than just going stating an opinion and then going away. That's what polls are for.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:
and a Ranking system might make me want to do that also, but im not sure since i haven't been on a forum that ranks you

Why would rank even matter? This is what I'm talking about; people should post here because they want to have fun and mingle with other anime fans, not so they can rank themselves and build up some kind of self-praising pedestal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I like the policy of deleting shorter posts, just because they make people actually have to stop and think and actually say something that might be of interest to other people. It leads to much more interesting topics than just going stating an opinion and then going away. That's what polls are for.

Sometimes a word or two is all one needs to convey a point.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
Well, if I may toss in my 2 cents...

I've been an Admin on a decent-sized forum (current stats: Threads: 204,473, Posts: 2,058,179, Members: 112,356, Active Members: 6,648) for a bit over eight years now. We started with maybe six people in a chatroom in the summer of 1998, & grew it from there. So while I'm a relative n00b here, I'm not to forum culture in general.

I don't want to bag on the Staff for everything I would do differently here, because it's not my board, but I do want to address one thing: posts being deleted (or members being flamed) for the post being too short. I find that to be a completely unnecessary practice on the part of the Mods, & I read the flaming by members as nothing more than snarky elitism.

Chastising a person because their post isn't sufficiently long enough to be deemed a worthwhile response is something I've never seen on any other forum. Sure, moderating is required to keep things running smoothly, but this is a case of useless micro-management.

Sometimes, "+1" expresses everything you want to say perfectly. Sometimes, nothing more is needed, & any more is worthless filler.

Sometimes, you don't really want some people writing long posts. Perhaps one fairly coherent sentence is their limit. I know for me, if you can't spell worth a damn, I don't really want to read much more than one sentence from you, anyway.

Also, from a volunteer Staffer's viewpoint, it's a lot of added work for no benefit. You're not really stopping anything detrimental. Getting rid of spambot threads, now there's a worthwhile task.

In the long run, though, I don't dislike it here enough to leave, so I will jump through the hoops placed before me in order to participate. If it gets under my skin too much, I'll wander off to somewhere else. (Took me long enough to find this place, btw. I've used the Encyclopedia for quite awhile, but never bothered even looking for a forum here until I noticed a mention of it in a Greg Ayres blog.)

In closing, I would've just posted "Deleting short posts SUCKS" but I was afraid it would be deleted. Wink

It appears the mods didn't like my rather multi-purpose response of "QFT" that was just deleted, so here you go mods:

I happen to agree that it is not worth the mod's time to go around deleting all the short comments all the time. You mods have better things to do, and the short comments really don't harm anything here most of the time. It's just "useless micromanagement" with little to no benefits in my mind. It takes all of 3 seconds to read, comprehend, and reflect on a one-liner, and quite often they do serve a purpose, even if they are not particularly insightful. If someone wishes to simply agree with something that has already been written and believes what was written was written better than they could have done, I believe a simple QFT doesn't hurt anything (as long as it's not a godawfully long post like that Monster thread from a while ago Anime hyper ). Some of the one-liners are just spam, but they're not all the same in terms of relevence to the conversation at hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
It''s not like they ALWAYS delete one liner posts. If its a simple answer to a simple question and one line post will do, that's fine. But "QFT" and "I agree" posts are just spam and have no place here, so that kind of stuff tends to get deleted and rightfully so.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Why would rank even matter? This is what I'm talking about; people should post here because they want to have fun and mingle with other anime fans, not so they can rank themselves and build up some kind of self-praising pedestal.

Personally, I like the rank system. Not limited to the other reasons I mentioned before, but also because it often times makes forums fun to post on. I find it fun having some little rank thing under your avatar. I know, may be childish, but I won't deny for a second that it's an aspect of internet forums that I enjoy. Also, it doesn't always create elitism. It's a pretty common aspect on forums, and I can name more than one forum where it has had basically no effect at all on this "elitism" thing (Anime on DVD for one, don't see much elitism there, though, I don't post that often...).

Edit:

Although, on the other hand, I really wouldn't be surprised if it really did influence people to post more often, just to get higher in the ranks. I mean, look at the Anime on DVD's forums, Anime Nation's, or any other with ranks. Users with thousands of posts are far more common than on this forum. They even have some posters with over 10,000 posts... Something nobody on this forum has.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
One-liner posts are judged on a case-by-case basis. Depending on the user's history like this guy, if his posts contribute absolutely nothing to any kind of topic, then yes, it's spam, and I will delete the post to make room for those who are willing to take things a little more serious.

As troublesome as it may seem from a user's viewpoint, I am deleting these short posts and locking those vague/badly constructed threads to force you all into actually thinking or maturing a little.

It seems to be working most of the time.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
I often think of posting one-liners that are more than a simple "I agree", or "True", but don't post them because I know they will get deleted. I think even the simple affirmative one-liners should be allowed. This isn't such a big board that pages will be eaten up by people saying simply "Yes" and "Right".

The ironic thing is that I often decide I have to make a mini-essay in order to justify my response. In toher words, I would have liked to just say QFT, but instead feel obliged to articulate my exact thoughts on how I agree with something to plump up my post. In other words, I post filler. So it takes up more space than the one-liner would have. That's the irony.

Usually my one-liners are funny and are intended to get a chuckle out of people, but I don't bother now, after seeing them disappear at the hands of a mod. That's the only rule I really disagree with.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've avoided these forums more since a couple weeks ago when one day i discovered that all of the really good threads were moved a page back and they were abandoned. seriously, administrators....GET THE GOOD THREADS BACK UP TO THE FRONT!!!!! please.... Laughing
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Moved back by what? Threads you didn't like?
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Moved back by what? Threads you didn't like?

I'm sure he/she means locked topics moving the active threads a page down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Cloe wrote:

Personally, I like the rank system. Not limited to the other reasons I mentioned before, but also because it often times makes forums fun to post on. I find it fun having some little rank thing under your avatar. I know, may be childish, but I won't deny for a second that it's an aspect of internet forums that I enjoy. Also, it doesn't always create elitism. It's a pretty common aspect on forums, and I can name more than one forum where it has had basically no effect at all on this "elitism" thing (Anime on DVD for one, don't see much elitism there, though, I don't post that often...).

Edit:

Although, on the other hand, I really wouldn't be surprised if it really did influence people to post more often, just to get higher in the ranks. I mean, look at the Anime on DVD's forums, Anime Nation's, or any other with ranks. Users with thousands of posts are far more common than on this forum. They even have some posters with over 10,000 posts... Something nobody on this forum has.

Well a ranking shouldnt really matter, but it might cause people to want to attampt to be superior to someone just because he has more posts, it was like that on G4 and there was even threads dedicated to trying to show people up because they had more posts. Also if the ranking system allowed people to get prizes and stuff, i guess its either about personal betterment ,the want to show someone else up or a possible prize.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Cloe wrote:

That's totally fair. I'm just concerned that the whole rank thing would become problematic sooner or later, for the reasons Animefreak6969 stated above. For some people it would be fun but for others it could turn into a pissing contest.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
As troublesome as it may seem from a user's viewpoint, I am deleting these short posts and locking those vague/badly constructed threads to force you all into actually thinking or maturing a little.

QFT.

Kidding, kidding! But seriously, that's one of the things I especially like about ANN forums - more mature conversations. Goodness I've seen my share of immature anime-fans on different boards, and never really stayed because that one intelligent conversation gets buried under all the OMG LOL Saske!!!!11! dross. And I love the fact that mods are so active that chances of seeing spoilers or getting abused are very minimal.

Sometimes the mods can be really aggressive, but the way I see it is that it's just part of the learning curve here. If a newbie gets offended by harsh mods and doesn't come back - well, it wasn't their board in the first place. Sometimes what people need is couple of good slaps, and it can work wonders for starting to consider what you can contribute to the conversation before you hit that submit button.

Anyway, I'm staying Smile
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, me too. The only other forum I really enjoyed being a member of was also pretty strict. It keeps the dumbest n00bs out or makes them grow up (like they made me do when I joined and acted newb-ish).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5