• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Familiar of Zero Light Novels' 1st Volume After Creator's Passing Scheduled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Bu...but it won't feel the same without being written by the official writer. For now it's giving me an impression of being an "official fan-fiction"
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
So this gonna continue from the point of the anime or how far was the anime covered, never really checked till which volume did they made the anime. Was kinda always hoping for some OVA´s where they would show some more of them being in the real world or even few years later or smth like that^^. Maybe this could be a good sign that perhaps we will get some OVA in future Smile
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
On one hand, it won't feel like the same story without the original writer.

On the other, these characters deserve a proper conclussion to their story, so overall I'm quite happy that the novels are coming back.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
I know that he left behind some notes and I think an outline for how he wanted the story to end, so while it will not be the same I think it is fair to say that this is not just offical fan fiction
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Bu...but it won't feel the same without being written by the official writer. For now it's giving me an impression of being an "official fan-fiction"

"he dictated the remaining plot of the series, including its ending, from his sickbed and entrusted it to the editors. "

Not an "official fan-fiction". Official fan-fiction would be those Attack on Titan comics being made by other people. If the new author's way with words is pretty different, I can understand it feeling weird but as long as the story is what he meant it to be, then there's no issue at all IMO.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Nice! Can anyone tell me how much diffrence is between the LN, Manga and anime? Does the LN give the full story? I heard somewhere that the anime wasnt fully following the LN/manga. Which one is better to pick up the manga or LN?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Nice! Can anyone tell me how much diffrence is between the LN, Manga and anime? Does the LN give the full story? I heard somewhere that the anime wasnt fully following the LN/manga. Which one is better to pick up the manga or LN?

Light novels are almost always the better choice since it's the original format of the series.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind if they kept the author a secret. Though, is it typical to mention the new author in this type of scenario, or is he simply treated like a ghost writer? No pun intended.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
So this gonna continue from the point of the anime or how far was the anime covered, never really checked till which volume did they made the anime. Was kinda always hoping for some OVA´s where they would show some more of them being in the real world or even few years later or smth like that^^. Maybe this could be a good sign that perhaps we will get some OVA in future Smile

If I remember right, "F" actually went beyond what was covered in the light novels at the time. So I would imagine that the final two volumes will cover what the end of the anime did. My feeling was always that the final season was commissioned because he knew he wouldn't finish the books himself and wanted it to be complete in some medium.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
If I remember right, "F" actually went beyond what was covered in the light novels at the time. So I would imagine that the final two volumes will cover what the end of the anime did. My feeling was always that the final season was commissioned because he knew he wouldn't finish the books himself and wanted it to be complete in some medium.

Yeah, though it changed a lot of events so the story could be finished within one season. While F had a ton of issues, its ending scene was perfect.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
It'll be like the conclusion of the Wheel of Time series. The author was prevented from completing the series by terminal illness, but had enough time to leave sufficient drafts and notes that the final few books could easily be completed by an author picked by his publisher and next of kin.

The situation hear sounds to be about the same.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

You are (naturally) trapped in the western, modern notion of "author", Japan adheres to this idea superficially, we all know that manga editors are at least coauthors.

The important thing here is: "Money must flow, man ~~~"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
So this like The Silmarillion from The Lord of the Rings
Isinfier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
It'll be like the conclusion of the Wheel of Time series. The author was prevented from completing the series by terminal illness, but had enough time to leave sufficient drafts and notes that the final few books could easily be completed by an author picked by his publisher and next of kin.

The situation here sounds to be about the same.

That's what I was thinking of; it's a calculated decision, rather than just handing the series off to the first person to ask for it.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they kept the author a secret. Though, is it typical to mention the new author in this type of scenario, or is he simply treated like a ghost writer? No pun intended.

This could be a ghost writer situation, as apparently the original author already set out the ending of the series before passing.

I hope it does well, and that the fans of the LNs are able to enjoy the ending.

As a massive fan of the anime, it's nice to see the the LNs will be finished off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2