• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto: Kakashi's Story Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
This review nicely summed up my feelings on the book. I'm all for a Kakashi character study, but this felt like a cliched action flick from start to finish. I also couldn't help but notice how much vomiting the story featured. Collectively, Kakashi and Guy tossed their cookies no less than seven times! Fortunately, the remaining epilogue novels were penned by different authors, so I'll probably still check 'em out.

Quote:
Tenten, who only appears briefly toward the end of the novel, is referred to with a male pronoun on the one occasion that calls for it.

I also noticed that Shino was referred to as "she." As you pointed out, the translator and/or editor probably isn't familiar with the source material, but this seems like an easy enough thing to Google.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I actually gave up reading the brief preview in the latest Weekly Shonen Jump issue because frankly, it was just so poorly written.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
So, basically, there are unauthorized fanfics rhat explore Kakashi better (Kakashi/Iruka romance optional), and no fanfic writer worth his/her salt would make simple translation or technique name mistakes. Disappointing. Hope the Gaara or Shikamaru novel is a little better.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So, basically, there are unauthorized fanfics rhat explore Kakashi better (Kakashi/Iruka romance optional), and no fanfic writer worth his/her salt would make simple translation or technique name mistakes. Disappointing. Hope the Gaara or Shikamaru novel is a little better.

So, basically, there are authorized fanfic's FTFY.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
See, they should have let me translate it! lol
But seriously, I read the Japanese version, and it wasn't that bad. The ninja fights didn't work very well in the novel, but overall, it was an interesting read. I wish there were illustrations to show the character designs, though.
I still find the whole tragic story behind his love interest kind of funny.
spoiler["My husband got drunk and fell into a pier."
"What happened to your son?"
"He was attacked by a swarm of killer bees."
]
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
And this is why it's so hard for me to put money down on manga or Japanese novels these days: the translators just don't give a crap. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1