• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vanishing Point

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
My memory might be a little foggy, but I seem to remember that most reviewers found DOAX2 to have less content, downright distracting uncanny breast physics, and generally more sexualization than reviewers were comfortable with.

I specifically remember articles saying the camera feature was creepy and voyeuristic, and that the stripper pole feature really shouldn't have been prefaced with comments from characters like "This is so embarrassing" before they went ahead and did it anyways.

I don't think reviewers as a whole mind cheesecake, but they seem to take it better when a game is straightforward about it rather than coy.

As a female gamer who's a little tired of seeing TONS of sexualized women, it's not that I don't want cheesecake. I just wish it were a) more the exception than the rule, and b) up front about being all about the T&A.

Being sly about it, or worse, trying to use in-universe reasons to explain it away (*cough* Quiet *cough*), just paints developers in a sleazy, skeevy light.
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the author harass Koei Tecmo good here. Calling them sexist, hostile towards women, and basically slandering them all around.

You don't have to see far to get a glimpse of them Warriors of Social Justice and this isn't even a game site.
maoyen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Sodom will be back, as he's the only character left from the Alpha generation. I predict he'll be dlc down the road, and they'll give him a new gameplay style, like they did with R. Mika and Karin.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't be surprised if Capcom just retconned Sodom to be part Japanese like they love doing. Then he'd just be regular cultural stereotype like any other SF character instead of a weeaboo.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The Big the Cat stages in Sonic Adventure were tedious as sin, and brought the game to a screeching halt. It's interesting to see that someone mentioned that it was probably meant to be a promotion stunt for a fishing game; whether that's true or not, it did make a bit of sense, as that segment just felt so amazingly out of place in a Sonic game. Thankfully it was short enough so that I could get through it all in one day (I think -- it's been an eternity since I played it), but it was still an unwelcome addition to the game for me.

As was the whole "Chao raising thing", but at least I didn't HAVE to do that to complete the game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, Microsoft isn't in the release for the new DOAX3 game, even though the previous 2 were released in XBoxes. If they were going to release it in the West, ya would think it'd be released in the XB1 too. So maybe they really don't intend to release it in the West in the first place, just something to stay in East Asia where an Xbox version wouldn't make sense.

(Does anybody know how the previous releases sold?)

Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:

I'd spare little time criticizing Kasumi and Tina's bikini slips when Akiba's Trip exists.

Hey now, you shouldn't compare Akiba's Trip unfavourably. After all, it was a triumph for equality that treated men and women the same. More games should strive to be like it.

And no, that's not sarcasm. Add some shirtless hunks who can lose their trunks to DoA and it'd all be good.

IIRC, that was an edit addition to Akiba's Trip. I guess they could edit add it too for DOA.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

As was the whole "Chao raising thing", but at least I didn't HAVE to do that to complete the game.

Dude.

Chao raising was literally the best part of the Adventure games and 95% of why I play them. I have dumped hundreds of hours into them and I still haven't stopped. I bought Sonic Adventure 2 four (Twice on Gamecube, then once on PS3 and PC) times just to raise Chao, I don't care about the rest of the game at all.
Deus257

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
As someone who bought the first 2 DOAX games, I don't really care if they release it here or not, I was disappointed with the first 2 I'm sure i'll be disappointed with the 3rd one. I mean sure the game was fun at first and I'm a sucker for fan service but the games got boring very quickly gameplay wise, the fact that people are literally arguing over this is hilarious in itself, hell you can still buy it on play asia (though I stopped buying from them after my debit card got compromised twice and it took 2 weeks to get an order I got with rush delivery, Ami Ami is better in my opinion). I mean if it were a serious artsy game that pushed boundaries or a 6th DOA (which I wouldn't mind have you) I'd understand the hubbub but this is a game about hot chicks in skimpy bikini's, boob physic's, Volleyball and breakable straps, hell people complained about the first 2 and they still got released. If anything this is just gonna end up as joke on some comedy sites, they'll probably call it #boobygate or something, though i'm pretty sure the feminists already have a claim to that with that "Free the Nipple," thing, don't mind that movement, though I think it will be difficult to get networks to show uncensored topless women on regular cable....

wow I am Ranting LOL

on a side not, Yay Strania, I missed that game Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
For those interested, here's the Full lineup of English voice actors in Xenoblade Chronicles X:

Voice Cast (English)

Elma – Caitlin Glass
Lin – Cassandra Lee Morris
Tatsu – Chris Cason
Irina – Carrie Keranen
Gwin – Michael Sinterniklaas
Lao – Matt Mercer
Doug – Patrick Seitz
L – Ray Chase
Ga Buidhe – Cindy Robinson
Maurice – Kirk Thorton
Goetia – Rachel Robinson
Dahgan – Patrick Seitz
Celica – Mela Lee
Rock – Nicolas Roye
Yelv – Kaiji Tang
Boze – Chris Jai Alex
H.B. – D.C. Douglas
Frye – Doug Erholtz
Phog – Josh Grelle
Alexa – Cherami Leigh
Hope – Alexis Tipton

Kira Buckland
Robbie Daymond
Ben Diskin
Erin Fitzgerald
Kate Higgins
Adam Howden
Yuri Lowenthal
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
Bryce Papenbrook
Tara Platt
Carina Reeves
Keith Silverstein
Cristina Valenzuela
Dan Woren

Additional Voices

Brian Beacock
Robert Clotworthy
Lauren Landa
Erica Mendez
Michael Chapman
Scot Ritchey
Chris Smith
Julie Ann Taylor
Kyle Hebert
Rich Amtower
T. Axelrod
Melody Moran
Russell Nash
John Ricciardi
Stephanie Sheh
Doug Stone
Kindra Timmerwilke
Christine Marie Cabanos
Wendee Lee
Amanda Miller
Ben Pronsky
Michelle Ruff
Spike Spencer
Joe J. Thomas

Deus257 wrote:

As someone who bought the first 2 DOAX games, I don't really care if they release it here or not, I was disappointed with the first 2 I'm sure i'll be disappointed with the 3rd one. I mean sure the game was fun at first and I'm a sucker for fan service but the games got boring very quickly gameplay wise, the fact that people are literally arguing over this is hilarious in itself,

How much people who are complaining do ya think actually played the previous games?
Deus257

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Deus257 wrote:

As someone who bought the first 2 DOAX games, I don't really care if they release it here or not, I was disappointed with the first 2 I'm sure i'll be disappointed with the 3rd one. I mean sure the game was fun at first and I'm a sucker for fan service but the games got boring very quickly gameplay wise, the fact that people are literally arguing over this is hilarious in itself,

How much people who are complaining do ya think actually played the previous games?

I dunno, I'm guessing some did, sure the games were dull but some people did like them, my friend did at first but he got bored when he realized he couldn't get the girls to date or makeout with each other, but i'm guessing the others complaining probably never played the first 2. If they did, then they wouldn't be complaining about it not getting released here if they knew how boring the games were in general, then again they probably would complain and buy it in protest just to spite the other group if they think they're the reason its not getting released, and then return it or sell it a gamestop once they realize how boring it is, that's just how things are now a days I suppose.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Come on. It's the actual principle of keeping a game from being localized that's the issue. Can't say I'm surprised by some of the responses here ranging from "meh, it's just fanservicey game." Out of risk of sounding like a conspiracy nut, you should realize that this is a slippery slope which gives it even more passes to censor video games in the future. It's 2015. You'd think devs evolved to have thicker skins against these populist Shonen Jump Weekly who wouldn't even buy their products nor will ever be satisfied no matter how much appeasement they do. These Social Justice Warriors thrive on complaining. The sensible way to treat this is to assume they don't exist.

And the notion that the Extreme games "don't sell" is wrong when overseas US outnumbered sales in Japan for the first game.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/482/dead-or-alive-xtreme-beach-volleyball/
So yeah, there's more horndog Westerners that KT is disappointing by not bringing it legit to American shores. Oh, and Senran Kagura made the overseas trip and is setting up a nice niche here despite bullying from the usual idiots. That just shows they don't care about a demographic who won't even give them money in the first place.

With this whole fiasco happening. The game is ironically getting more notoriety and sites like Play-Asia are laughing themselves all the way to the bank. This outcome being one of KT's plans is still up in the air.

I am against censorship in anyway form. No matter how sleazy a game is, it is still essentially an artistic expression and being pressured into not releasing it out of risk of hurting "fee-fees" is just pathetic and sad.
tl;dr Just release it. Screw what your nonmarket thinks.

Quote:
Many misguided souls point to some dastardly cabal of feminists and bloggers and Kotaku journalists who scheme to rob the world of fun, as though they're the villains from Doozy Bots. Yet as far as I can tell, no one in the press specifically called for Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 to be martyred for the sake of game-industry sexism, and most of the negativity around Dead or Alive 5 is constrained to side comments in game reviews.

Of course it's so easy to dismiss this as "paranoia" when it's about a game you don't personally care for. Typical attitude that's become all the more common in video game journalism.

Last edited by Paiprince on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

And no, that's not sarcasm. Add some shirtless hunks who can lose their trunks to DoA and it'd all be good.

Well in order for that the happen DOA's gameplay has to actually incorporate stripping elements into itself like Akiba's Trip....and since that' not likely to happen.....
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
This whole DOAX3 fiasco has gotta be a clever marketing ploy on PlayAsia's part. The DOA series always done fine sales-wise in the U.S. and the games have never really had any censorship issues despite all the complaints over the years, so why such an uproar now? Especially since the first two DOAX games came out here and this is the third game now, you'd think the whole series would've been banned in the West already. I really have to give it to whoever is running PlayAsia's twitter, their community manager isn't backing down at all from the crazy tweets. In any case,I bet both the game and PlayAsia gets a little sales boost from this whole thing.

Deus257 wrote:
I mean if it were a serious artsy game that pushed boundaries or a 6th DOA (which I wouldn't mind have you) I'd understand the hubbub but this is a game about hot chicks in skimpy bikini's, boob physic's, Volleyball and breakable straps, hell people complained about the first 2 and they still got released.

I have no interest in DOAX3 but I completely agree. While I don't like the changes Nintendo is making for the upcoming Xenoblade, they're doing it because they're trying to increase XCX's mainstream appeal. But making DOAX3 appeal to the mainstream audience is pointless. DOAX is about hot chicks, boobs and bikini's. It's the whole point of the game.
Aquaregia99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The same can't be said for Gust, a childlike inventor and avatar of the company that developed the Atelier and Ar Tonelico series. Not long after Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, KOEI Tecmo bought Gust (the company). This ruled out Gust (the character) appearing in future Neptunia offerings. Maybe they'll make a sly joke about her.

Actually Gust did make a come back; just not in a neptunia game. She is a Servan in Nights of Azure (Yoru no nai Kuni). She came as a first print bonus.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If nothing else, I'd like to hear more from KOEI Tecmo's community manager, who didn't really want to talk about issues of sexism.

He said his piece, and it was quite informative on the reasoning on why the game was canceled. It was due to feminist whining. Simple as that.

Games journalists would just twist his words around to fit their current sensationalist narrative of (the non-existent) sexism in video games. This is the price of drumming up hysteria to get clicks. Now it's only video games; perhaps anime and manga could be the essjaydubbleyuu's next target of censorship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9