• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica 'Concept Movie' Hints at New Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...Is the tutu a reference, since they said it was a hint? Maybe to Swan Lake, ... All I can say for me is if they don't do a sequel to Rebellion I'll lead the table flipping, Faye style!
Remember that Homura's outfit at the end of Rebellion was that of the black swan in Swan Lake, so that's already been established as a theme - wouldn't surprise me at all if ballet homages continued.
I'm very excited for this... we've been waiting two years since that cliffhanger...!
Cool! I didn't catch that, I just thought the pose looked like Swan Lake. Didn't mean to sound "snarky" but this picture isn't much of a hint and I could imagine some anxious fans trying to figure out the whole plot from it, like I'm tempted to. Just have to be patient...And for Lili-Hime, the yuri fan in me sort of hopes so, but I really do want to see Homura choose deep friendship-love rather than desire.
Manwards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
I thought Rebellion was a truly excellent follow-up. You could call it a cynical attempt to be dark, but then, you could really say that about spoiler[Mami's death too. The series was set up to be optimistic, and that optimism is crushed by Mami's sudden and irrevocable death. I don't really see how Homura's love for Madoka being corrupted is any worse than that, especially as corruption of innocent feelings is quite literally Madoka's entire premise.]

That said, I don't think Rebellion should be the end. I'd be happy for at least one more film to wrap things up more concretely. Oh, and for the record, End of Evangelion is literally one of my favourite films ever, anime or otherwise, alongside the films of David Lynch and Evil Dead II, so I'm definitely in the intended audience for callous subversions of what an audience wants! Anime hyper
partially

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
All in all I don't think Madoka Magica needs anymore sequels. And most likely anything past here would ruin it.

Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
The whole point of the 3rd movie was spoiler[Homura wanted Madoka to be free and safe/happy, not a slave to the fate her wish gave her]. It made perfect sense with Homura's character. I thought the ending sucked, yes, but the overall plot of the movie worked fine...it just needed to continue further. Especially since the last few minutes weren't fully explained.

I'd like one final movie, at the least.

edit: I don't really see how this hints at a new project. Just seems more like a tribute.

Unfortunately because of circumstances they had to take an idea that made sense character wise in concept and take the most shock value oriented and over the top approach to it with her sneering and being all creepy and evil which makes absolutely no sense given her apparent noble minded goal.

If anything this franchise needs a lot of work in how it handles it's lore (it's not very good at it so much as it is good at introducing ideas of philosophical conflict), rules of what is and isn't possible for the cast to do within the universe (it made it look like Madoka getting from the point of ordinary girl to magical girl universal overseer figure was a hard one with consequences and a relinquishing of control over her life that took a whole series journey of development just to achieve that much and then for whatever reason apparently Homura is able to go from being trapped in an imaginary world and unaware of it to assuming total control over the universe greater than Madoka's in the span of about 40 minutes and fixing everything that was limiting what Madoka could achieve in her stint with even more control and gives absolutely no reason as to why or how that should be the case) and to just stick to a damn idea and not rely so much on undermining genre concepts and ideas including it's own just to have twists and shock and unnerve the audience. It was IMO at it's best when it wasn't trying to do that with the TV series and just sticking to character drama both of the personal and relationship kind.

I don't know about other people but I'd have a really hard time staying attached to a franchise that seems more concerned with undermining and surprising people with what they think they know about the cast by constantly trying to turn things on their head. If anything it kind of just makes things just look like they have no idea where they're really going with them and that they are lacking in consistency more than anything.

I don't think it was shock value. In fact it was the most logical conclusion, and I saw it coming from a mile away. One has to remember that Madoka Magica is actually about Homura, or at least about the result of her actions. Madoka is a fairly incidental character used to explore what those actions were, and how they turn out. Homura was the most key figure in both the TV series and more so the movie. She is the lynch-pin of all events that happened. Take her out of the story, and there is no real story. So I have never understood those that argue she shouldn't have been such a focus in the movie when she is a "side-character".

And the key thing to remember is that spoiler[Homura has re-lived events hundreds, even thousands of times. Homura had essentially devoted years of her life (one has to remember how many times she was Groundhog) to a situation she never won, in fact it is very possible she was trapped in the repetition for longer than she had been alive up to that point. She would have seen friends die many many many times. Even the most strong-willed person would simply not be sane at that point. In fact it was my main problem with the original TV series, it took a fairly cheap route out and somewhat ignored what would become of Homura. What was Madoka at the end of the TV series to Homura? (She was no longer a friend and was more an object of idolisation, love?). And suddenly the object of her devotion up and essentially left her, after all her hard work and struggle. In comparison her sacrifice and struggle was orders of magnitude greater than Madoka's. And yet Madoka then made a decision with no consultation to make everyone "happy". Do you think that Homura would really be happy about not being able to meet anymore in those circumstances? Essentially by that point she didn't care about the world, other people, only Madoka. And then Madoka decided to leave. In that way Rebellion made absolute sense, and was not at all shock-value for me.]

As for your bit about conventions being overturned in 40 minutes. spoiler[I really have to watch the movie again. But do remember that Madoka has very little power, she is at best an average magical girl, this was established in the TV series. All her overwhelming power CAME from Homura. Madoka must have spent most of her granted powers in establishing her universal girl status. So it isn't much of a stretch for Homura to beat her, as Homura has the most subversive powers of them all.]

Kougeru wrote:
The whole point of the 3rd movie was spoiler[Homura wanted Madoka to be free and safe/happy, not a slave to the fate her wish gave her]. It made perfect sense with Homura's character. I thought the ending sucked, yes, but the overall plot of the movie worked fine.

The ending sucked because what you say there is not actually what happened in the movie. At least by my reading. Yes that may have been Homura's original motivation, but by the time we get to Rebellion. That is long gone. Her motivation throughout the movie is definitely not those feelings. Razz
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
There have been so many whispers and rumors about them maybe doing another anime without anything conclusive actually said up till now, that I'm going to withhold my excitement here until we get something more concrete.

That said, please let this be true. While I admittedly found Rebellion to be an inferior sequel to my favorite anime of all time and I doubt anything else they do past this point will ever be able to match the show, Rebellion doesn't work as an ending. At all. Oh sure, the idea behind it could perhaps potentially have made for a fitting end if it was executed differently, but the way it presents itself in the movie we actually got? There was no closure there. Literally every single scene was presented in such a way that would only make sense if they were setting the stage for another sequel. Why was Sayaka so enraged at Homura's actions? What did Homura actually do? What does she need Kyubey for? How does this new world work? Is this entire new status quo even going to last? The scene of Madoka almost regaining her power at the end heavily indicates that the answer would be "No", and if so we really should get some clarity on how that will play out.

...So yeah. To me, this needs a sequel. And it needs to actually commit to the stuff that happened at the end of Rebellion and build on it. And it needs to actually end. Oh, leave the potential for more story to be told, sure, but don't do that at the expense of letting the current story have a satisfying conclusion. I'm sure it can be done. Heck, I have a somewhat rough idea for how a sequel could play out myself, and I'm pretty sure that Urobuchi and the others could probably come up with something that beats what I have out of the water. Don't let me down, guys. Don't let "These ribbons look better on you" be the final word of this franchise. Because it is a lame note to end it on.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I really like the direction that Rebellion is taking this (I liked it much more than the original series), and hope this continues down that track. This could be great!
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
About damn time. The entire last 15 minutes of Rebellion screamed sequel bait. It's needed this for a long time.

I don't see how there could be a sequel, given how it ended.

spoiler[Homura killed herself, which also -should- have destroyed her Barrier, released the parts of her friends that she was keeping for herself, and everything goes back to whatever kind of normal would be left after that]

I can completely see a before-story, or a side-story, or an "And I'm Home" type sweet little short story set between the events of episodes, oh, 6 and 12 or thereabouts.
[/spoiler]
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

Unfortunately because of circumstances they had to take an idea that made sense character wise in concept and take the most shock value oriented and over the top approach to it with her sneering and being all creepy and evil which makes absolutely no sense given her apparent noble minded goal.

Well, maybe. I thought that it made perfect sense, given how Homura's personality changed over the course of the story. Heck, her glasses were symbolic of her idealism and noble-mindedness, which she treated as weaknesses keeping her from her Goal.

Girl wants something out of idealism/noblemindedness/(insert reason for desire here), girl gets it, girl finds herself being corrupted into something horrible as a result via internal and external pressures... they could make an interesting story around that Wink
Tachikoma1701

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
My reaction to this "wonderful" news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4

Sorry, fanboys and fangirls, but "Rebellion" was nothing more than collection of plot holes, incoherent ideas and out of character behavior - a cynical cash grab, designed ONLY to make more unwanted and unneeded sequels. This was probably the best exemple of: "because plot said so" in anime; love can now corrupt sould gems, even though it never happened before... plot said so!, Homura without rhyme or reason developed new super-duper powers, which are even better that the powers of Goddess-Madoka, and she magically knows that she have them and she also know how to use them...plot said so!, girls can now summon and control Witches, even though it was impossible before and Witches shouldn't even exist anymore... plot said so!, omniscient goddess, suddenly don't know what's going to happen, even after plot device field is down...plot said so!, Kyubey is abducting and experimenting on people, even though he never done this before....plot said so! I could go on, but why bother - just watch this video, to see how bad "Rebellion" really was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEldbOjnn8s

So, if you like "Rebellion" then you just don't care about good writing or proper storytelling, which is fine by me, but at least be honest about this - don't pretend that "Rebellion" was some kind of masterpiece, just because you like it. Rolling Eyes SHAFT no longer have to care about storytelling, because people seems to like "Rebellion", regardless of bad writing and they are hyped about
fourth movie, just because it's "Madoka"... It's really sad that good TV series was ruined because of human greed - "Madoka 4: milking the franchise", coming soon to theater near you! Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3