• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Start Your Day with a Real Schoolgirl Wake-Up Call

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:

I'd totally do something like this in highschool. Easy money for shiny toys. These girls know what's up, I guarantee it.

Would your parent(s) allow it knowing what it really caters to?
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
Highschool girls in Japan are very consumerist and are often well aware of the sensuality placed on their "innocence". This is by far the least dangerous way that girls can capitalize on what is a very sad but significant portion of Japanese society.

I'd totally do something like this in highschool. Easy money for shiny toys. These girls know what's up, I guarantee it.

I think that Western kids are pretty materialistic, too. I wouldn't encourage a girl or a boy, regardless of nationality, to sell herself or himself, in any way: A person's body and soul are not commodities.

The issue is not whether or not the kids "know what's up" but that this company is serving an abhorrent product to an abhorrent customer base.

Even if you think, on the part of the kids, it's innocent or fine, it sure isn't innocent or fine on the part of the customers: They are turned on by high school kids; Not sexy young men and women (Eww, way too old) , kids.

Underage kids are called "underage" for a reason: In the eyes of the law and society, they are not old enough to have the experience and maturity necessary to make decisions which are considered adult; Unfortunately, I feel this business falls into a legal dark grey area because, unless the company specifically states the kids are meant to turn customers on, it will be argued that the service is not sexual in nature.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
Seriously they can't just wake up to a "Normal" alarm clock, They might as well cut out the middle man and start a High school girl phone sex line. Shocked
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
So I'm to pay presumably a fair amount of money simply to be woken up by a phone call from a high school girl? As if there weren't enough weird or useless ways to blow your money here ya go. What about those of us who hit snooze 2-3 times? How many free snooze calls in 5 minutes do I get? Cause if I gotta pay for every "snooze call" I get I'd be broke by week 2. Besides, nothing gets you up quicker then the sounds of your cat puking up a hairball.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Would your parent(s) allow it knowing what it really caters to?

Of course not. My parents didn't allow me to drink until I was 21, either, but what they didn't know didn't hurt them. I don't think any parents would want their kids to do this.

CandisWhite wrote:

I think that Western kids are pretty materialistic, too. I wouldn't encourage a girl or a boy, regardless of nationality, to sell herself or himself, in any way: A person's body and soul are not commodities.

A person's body is really nothing but a commodity, actually. We all sell time for money in one way or another. As for selling souls, are you kidding me? No one is selling their soul making a creepy wakeup call. Don't be so melodramatic.

We're talking about 16-18 year olds here. 16 is the age of consent in many states. Your brain isn't fully developed, sure, but you are hardly an innocent child at 16 years old. At age 18, many of us are taking out thousands of dollars worth of loans and making irreversible decisions that will influence the rest of our lives.

These kids know exactly who the target audience is and are making adult decisions to profit off of that demographic. I'm sure it's not something that they want to put on their resume, but I left off my Pizza Hut experience as well.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
I wonder if people who enjoy being woken up by a voice from an anime high schoolgirl of an alarm clock display really is all that common? I have a feeling that not many would enjoy that thought...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
I find the whole concept rather icky. The whole fetishization of schoolgirls in Japan is pretty gross and the issue of the girls' consent seems rather dubious. Although the call itself is presumably "innocent", it's no secret that the guy who thought of this idea and the guys who will be hiring the service aren't really :/

Psycho 101 wrote:
Besides, nothing gets you up quicker then the sounds of your cat puking up a hairball.

I can absolutely sleep through the phone ringing, but I have been woken from deep slumber numerous times by the sound of my cat throwing up on my bed. Best way to kick away sleep is having to get up and throw your bedsheets in the laundry machine at three in the morning -__-U
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder if people who enjoy being woken up by a voice from an anime high schoolgirl of an alarm clock display really is all that common? I have a feeling that not many would enjoy that thought...

Personally, I would try it for the novelty. I don't really use alarm clocks much really, my internal clock wakes me up regularly, but this seems amusing enough to be worth it once or twice. Laughing
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Shoot, if this works, some high school girls are going to get paid for doing the easiest job ever. The only concerning detail is they don't mention how the calls will be made or received. Hopefully there is a third-party that monitors every call, and makes sure that the girls' identities and phone numbers remain secret to prevent true creeps from becoming obsessive. And of course, giving all rights to the girls for terminating any 'customer' they so choose at any time they wish. If a proper system is in place for this business, I honestly don't think it's that creepy or dangerous. Some guys will have fetishes for that stuff...it's inevitable, but some people simply wake up better when they talk to someone (if they don't have any friends awake when they wake up).

To tell you the truth, I could probably use this. I'm not into the whole fetish thing, but having a person wake me up always works better than alarm clocks (where I just go back to sleep if I'm tired).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
I would find this less creepy if they just used an automated reply (like Siri). A possible consequence of this is that the customer info means you get slammed with spam mail.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
Hmm, while I wouldn't want a teen to be calling me...I do believe I need a wake up call service. I feel that, more often than not, I've been turning off my alarm clock lately. Sometimes I don't even remember doing so. Laughing
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
I don't see a of a lot of difference between this and a hotel wake-up call where you may have someone between 18-100 doing the same thing. I would think this is a hell of a lot more harmless than sticking a kid working at a combini and forcing them to work off the clock, then walk home through a devious neighborhood.

I do agree about one point, and that is Japan really loves to over sexual kids, and yet can't figure out what to do about chikan on the freaking trains. A few weeks ago, I was at a JR station just outside of Takao on the Chuo Line where there was a manga billboard of a running school girl and what looked like testicles chasing after her. The two schoolgirls beside me seemed to barely notice it, but it still felt like an odd couple of minutes waiting for the train, but I digress

Quote:
Underage kids are called "underage" for a reason: In the eyes of the law and society, they are not old enough to have the experience and maturity necessary to make decisions which are considered adult; Unfortunately, I feel this business falls into a legal dark grey area because, unless the company specifically states the kids are meant to turn customers on, it will be argued that the service is not sexual in nature.

Make note, one is "underage" in Japan until age 20.

I'm starting to ramble old.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have Norio Wakamoto wake me up. That way I know I'm going to get right to whatever I need to do that day to keep him from absorbing me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd rather have Norio Wakamoto wake me up. That way I know I'm going to get right to whatever I need to do that day to keep him from absorbing me.

I would pay for this service. Especially if he says something in Engrish with a very strong RRRRRR
Izu0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Dangerous and creeepy. They just wants money
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3