• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kingdom Manga Manuscript Lost in Mail

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
What is sj?

Shonen Jump?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
It's not the first time this has happened before and don't get me started with gaming and source codes, remember Bubble Bobble's original source code is lost to time. That manuscript should've been in the most obvious packaging possible to make sure mail carriers knew "oh this package means life or death for the publisher, I need to make sure it's safe and sound like it's a baby".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
On the potentially positive side, it somewhat helped stop scanlations for said chapter. Ironically, I do read Fairy Tail scanlations. Given my copyright minimalist attitude, [/img]
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Hara-san must be totally unlucky for the manuscript to disappear out of thin air at the worst possible time. Unfortunately, stuff, even important documents, getting lost in the mail processing system isn't all that uncommon...
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Predictable plot twist: The manuscript apparently got leaked at some time.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Or at the very very least use a responsible courier service instead of just shoving the manuscript in the corner mailbox.

The Japanese post office is actually very reliable. Far more reliable than the US post office, at any rate. It's very rare for packages to get delayed, lost, or damaged in transit.

What's more interesting here is that he has assistants who don't live locally. Despite the sheer expense of living in Tokyo, the manga industry is really centered there; I guess manga artists who don't live in Tokyo have more trouble finding assistants locally.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
Huh, if it was lost in a shopping mall, chances are someone unrelated has already picked it up. I wonder what the most likely outcome would be: Would it be leaked? Would the person not know what it is and just throw it away? Would the person keep it somewhere and hope to find its rightful owners, not knowing what it is but knowing it must be important to someone?

BassKuroi wrote:
Japan manga industry should update their technology: scan originals in high resolution and ftp it to a server...

An irresponsible and/or negligent person down the line can still lose it even if it's all digital.

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
The Japanese post office is actually very reliable. Far more reliable than the US post office, at any rate. It's very rare for packages to get delayed, lost, or damaged in transit.

Oh yes, I can definitely speak all day about package-related mishaps about the USPS that's happened to me.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
This is why you always put a tracking number on the package, especially when it's that big. A letter to a friend or family member you can just slap the stamp on, but if your livelihood is dependent on the package you always want to know that it made it to its destination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Since it was mailed, that means it was either printed from digital or hand-drawn, either way needs to be mailed again and will still cause a delay. Of course the sensible thing to do for hand-drawn art is make scans of your work so even if the originals are lost for good, you have something to reference rather than starting over from scratch.

Unfortunately, with the tight schedule and deadlines these artists have, who has time to scan? It saves time in the long run if something gets lost in the mail but people in general just suck at backing up things. They just don't have the extra time to do that and think that stuff like this doesn't happen to them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
Mail tracking with insurance?
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
Any info on 3rd Kingdom season?
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:
What is sj?

Shonen Jump?

Really?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2