• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Team Ninja Confirms Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Won't Get Western Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you know many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry? We do not want to talk those things here. But certainly we have gone through in last year or two to come to our decision. Thank you.
In short "We don't care what you think, so f***- off." which is good-on-'em for being up front about it, however having said that it's not without a bit of bother in Japan as well too, so good luck with that atitude there too.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
They should just release a DLC with half naked muscular men in it. Take the boob physics and put in it some budgie smugglers then see the response from consumers.

Rather than banning sexualisation I just think it needs to be an even playing field. Then there is no need for censorship and such.
Hominidrive

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Wasn't going to play the game anyways, but the Gator tears are delicious. Laughing You can even find some in the previous posts tbh
E_X

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Lots of people saying "oh, it's because of sales" yet on this very site there's a column berating the game as sexist and ribald and it's not even coming out here. I think the truth is in the middle honestly. The profit from bringing it here is not worth the amount of harrassment they would get.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
They should just release a DLC with half naked muscular men in it. Take the boob physics and put in it some budgie smugglers then see the response from consumers.

Rather than banning sexualisation I just think it needs to be an even playing field. Then there is no need for censorship and such.

If that ever happened so many men would be in an uproar. Just like what happened when Free! was announced. I await for the day.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
wootsman wrote:

If you hate arguments for just for being arguments, here's a helpful tip; don't get invoked in arguments. Comments like this never contribute to anything, not to mention your other criticism can be applied to both sides of that dumb internet fight.

Helpful hint for you kid. I'm close to 70 years old, never said I don't hate arguments, and don't make comments to invalidate people for having a diverging opinion as you have, In YOUR opinion, my comment does not contribute.

E_X wrote:
Lots of people saying "oh, it's because of sales" yet on this very site there's a column berating the game as sexist and ribald and it's not even coming out here. I think the truth is in the middle honestly. The profit from bringing it here is not worth the amount of harrassment they would get.

Women in bikinis as being sexist is a bit disingenuous. Why not have men complain about sexism because we have men in tight pants playing football. However, with the current client of everyone in America being so thinned skinned and offended by everything now, I can understand a Japanese company not wanting to bother with the headache either.

Having just come back to the states from Japan and hearing all this BS over micro-aggression and butt hurt over everything, I wouldn't want to deal with westerner either, not for what little return DoA would return in profit. Razz
E_X

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
12skippy21 wrote:

If that ever happened so many men would be in an uproar. Just like what happened when Free! was announced. I await for the day.

Men in uproar over pretty boys in swimwear? That's so ridiculous. As ridiculous as women (and men) in an uproar over pretty girls in swimwear at least.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
I could easily see this getting a European release down the line, as their infosphere isn't nearly as caustic and relentless as here in the North America from what I have gathered over the years.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
E_X wrote:

Men in uproar over pretty boys in swimwear? That's so ridiculous.

It happened and it was a beautiful few weeks of rage. You're welcome to read the butthurt comments in the announcement threads ANN and MAL

And a nice bonus, people freaking out about its scores in the preview thread. It starts about on that page, but it continues for a good portion of that thread. It even continued into the year after when S2 premiered. It was a good time.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Meh, this whole thing just sounds like a big marketing gimmick. Say they won't release it because [controversial statement] to get way more import purchases that it ever would have dreamed of receiving, only to later down the line say it had so much support they're release it after all, only to get more double dip sales because their target consumer feels like they "won" something.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:

I remember it being a case of peopel disliking the double satndar, taht a similar show, but with females would automatically get paragraphcs of fanservice complains and a big markdown in the score.

AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

I love your post man. it's pretty much what us third worlders think when we see all this happening. I mean, coming home after working full time as a software developer and part time as a geriatric nurse I just want to pop up a beer, watch some sexy ladies while playing a simple entertaining game. thankfully team ninja was nice enough to put english subs in this one.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I always felt like I had sane reactions to stuff that I didn't like it.

Free! "eh, I won't watch it"

Ecchi shows "Eh, I won't watch it unless it's hilarious"

Just not my tastes. This game is the same. Not my taste, but I don't believe in ANY censorship and I have seen hundreds of people on twitter alone stating their support AGAINST it's release....and against it's importation.

My favorite thing is that the people I know that are most mad about this, are women. My friend that has cosplayed ad Kasumi and Ayane multiple times. She is gonna do Marie Rose soon. She was never offended by the game's outfits or physics, and actually thought the physics were funny. The other female friends that I have that even know this franchise exist also like it more than they hate it.

As for the sales things...that's just a lie. Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 had over 50% of it's total says in North America alone. Japan was only 25%. The first game was 61% in the West. Saying it's about sales is nothing but a complete lie to avoid the real reason.

All censorship is evil, and this is basically the highest form of censorship by not releasing it at all in it's best selling market.

Last edited by Kougeru on Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Meh, this whole thing just sounds like a big marketing gimmick. Say they won't release it because [controversial statement] to get way more import purchases that it ever would have dreamed of receiving, only to later down the line say it had so much support they're release it after all, only to get more double dip sales because their target consumer feels like they "won" something.
This. This is what I've been saying since the beginning. Play-Asia cried "ESS JAY DUBYUH" and got umpteen zillion followers, DOAX3 is getting more talked about than it ever would have otherwise, and now a lot of peeps will be rallying around a thoroughly average game in the name of "anti-PC" or w/e.

It feels like a giant "the MAN is keeping down your booby games, ROW ROW fight the power!" scam, and it's delicious how many people are taking what I feel is pretty obvious bait.

I mean, let's be real: anybody who spends their time critiquing sexism in gaming probably wouldn't have ever said anything about this game. Ever see a mass amount of people getting mad about, say, Senran Kagura? Dungeon Travelers 2? Criminal Girls? Didn't think so, despite those games having infinitely more explicit content.

They would have ignored it and focused on bigger issues in bigger games. But now, this tiny game is getting turned into a mammoth deal, and this storm in a teacup will keep on a-brewin' until the Internet finds something else to be mad at in five minutes.

tl;dr video games are dumb, corporations love rabble-rousing, gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.

Now go play a real fighting game, like Virtua Fighter.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:

I remember it being a case of peopel disliking the double satndar, taht a similar show, but with females would automatically get paragraphcs of fanservice complains and a big markdown in the score.

Obviously not true since Monster Musume was praised fairly high during the preview guide. Saekano also received decent scores as well among other series. If the people who had made those claims had actually paid attention to what they were saying in the preview guide you'd see that their issue has always been how the fanservice is presented, not the fanservice itself. That and plenty of fanservice shows aimed at women get torn apart too. Happened to Meganebu, Bakumatsu Rock, Dramatical Murder and a few others faced the chopping block for sucking too.

This is off topic though, so this is my only reply to you about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5