• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Team Ninja Confirms Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Won't Get Western Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Why hasn't anyone pointed out that DOAX 1-2 sold poorly in japan because it was only available only the Xbox? Yes 2/3 of the sales for DOAX 1-2 where in the west because the XBOX brand has bigger install base here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Why hasn't anyone pointed out that DOAX 1-2 sold poorly in japan because it was only available only the Xbox? Yes 2/3 of the sales for DOAX 1-2 where in the west because the XBOX brand has bigger install base here.

How many of ya guys bought any of the first 2?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol
I actually bought a copy used from E.B. Games back in 2003 for only 20.00 usd and I still have it to this day. I never got a chance to buy the second game because my Local Walmart and Game-stop never had it in stock. Hell I didn't even own a 360 until late 2007, so it wouldn't have done me any good to buy it.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote

That's precisely why I included DOAX2 and DOA Paradise (which was basically a PSP port of DOAX2) with my statistics. If I was only referring to DOAX2 then the sales would be much more lopsided towards NA/EU markets.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
OK, folks:
I'd like everyone to please take a deep breath and think twice before clicking on the "submit" icon.

Thank you.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I always felt like I had sane reactions to stuff that I didn't like it.

Free! "eh, I won't watch it"

Ecchi shows "Eh, I won't watch it unless it's hilarious"

Just not my tastes. This game is the same. Not my taste, but I don't believe in ANY censorship and I have seen hundreds of people on twitter alone stating their support AGAINST it's release....and against it's importation.

My favorite thing is that the people I know that are most mad about this, are women. My friend that has cosplayed ad Kasumi and Ayane multiple times. She is gonna do Marie Rose soon. She was never offended by the game's outfits or physics, and actually thought the physics were funny. The other female friends that I have that even know this franchise exist also like it more than they hate it.

As for the sales things...that's just a lie. Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 had over 50% of it's total says in North America alone. Japan was only 25%. The first game was 61% in the West. Saying it's about sales is nothing but a complete lie to avoid the real reason.

All censorship is evil, and this is basically the highest form of censorship by not releasing it at all in it's best selling market.

Unless you back up and cite your sources, this all comes across as a very transparent attempt to just whine incessantly about the eevil femnazees takin away your tiddie games
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
@enurtsol I always buy Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. You know? The one´s that bother to be real “games”.

I further listed to IGN´s latest AU podcast yesterday which covered our lovely topic. They mentioned that Play Asia already jumped on the hype train as they will have all potential customers covered due to their anti-Shonen Jump Weekly stance. Sigh...
They also mentioned something more important. That the developers literarily never said that the game isn´t coming to the west (as of yesterday). IGN AU´s crew has a point with that but how many outlets bothered to point that out? ANN certainly didn´t.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
This whole thing has been an interesting thing to watch unfold on twitter. Most of what I've seen is purely reaction to PlayAsia's tweet. That tweet has gotten people to question if they will continue to buy from PA, others have said they will buy from PA, and then some game journalists stating they'll be blacklisting PA.

Interesting times, and some very extreme reactions. I've been entertained.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote

@Ali07 I don´t have twitter (the horror!) but i agree and am also kind of happy that Tecmo decided to be so original with their advertisement campaign.
90´s Eidos (look up Fear Effect 2) or Acclaim couldn´t have done it better and they advertised on gravestones!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
E_X wrote:
Lots of people saying "oh, it's because of sales" yet on this very site there's a column berating the game as sexist and ribald and it's not even coming out here. I think the truth is in the middle honestly. The profit from bringing it here is not worth the amount of harrassment they would get.

I still stand by my idea that Koei-Tecmo is afraid of the potential bad press the game will get. And I don't mean gaming journalism, I mean mainstream journalism. Anime and video games already have a bad reputation in major newspapers, news programs, and news sites (except for things aimed at family and children). DOAX3 may be the catalyst needed for said bad press. Koei-Tecmo knows it's vulnerable to a media scandal, more now than ever before.

And you can't underestimate the power of bad press. They are still the information gatekeepers of the world, and even with the Internet, they are still very good at shaping mainstream impressions. Look at what's been happening to Volkswagen and their scandal relating to diesel emissions cheating and how much money they're losing. It's affected not just their diesel cars, but the entire Volkswagen output. I think Koei-Tecmo fears it'll be put behind the hot seat the way Volkswagen or FIFA have been.

Then again, you also have figures who thrive on controversy, like Donald Trump. Maybe this statement is a way to dodge blame (if peopleget mad over this game's content, it'll be harder to blame because they're making games for their own country's audience and them alone).

Guile wrote:
Western and eastern game designs more than just sexulization though, you can see the difference in gameplay and pacing as well. There's a few early impressions of Xenoblade Chronicles X that complain that the game world isn't as free as Skyrim or Fallout, and how there's enemies that can easily kill you if you try to fight them at the beginning because the game doesn't have a level scaling system like Skyrim and similar games do. In Fallout 4 you get power armor, laser guns, Dogmeat and fight Deathclaws within the first hour of the game. Western gaming seems to be a lot more into instant gratification these days, so I agree the audience is shifting in that regard.

No, I think it's always been that way. It's just that during earlier times, you didn't have open-world games with sandbox approaches. You'd begin on an easy stage and get progressively harder stages.

Note that every game produced by Blizzard is set up in this way: You progress rapidly and noticeably gain power very early on. However, your progress slows down as you continue to play.

So perhaps you're given a lot of stuff at the beginning to feel like you're powerful as a hook to keep playing.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

How many of ya guys bought any of the first 2?

I wanted to but I never owned an Xbox or a 360. If they were on the PS2 and PS3 I would have bought the first two. I'm going to buy the 3rd though. I'm not surprised if the sales weren't too hot since it's a Japanese game exclusively on an American console. I'm not sure why companies do that.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Note that every game produced by Blizzard is set up in this way: You progress rapidly and noticeably gain power very early on. However, your progress slows down as you continue to play.

Blizzard games definitely do seem that way. All of their current output seems like more user-friendly/casual versions of other games. Heroes is a more casual moba game compared to LoL or DOTA, Hearthstone is a more casual card game compared to Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh. I haven't played Overwatch or looked into it much but people were calling it similar to Team Fortress 2 which is a pretty accessible shooter as well.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I still stand by my idea that Koei-Tecmo is afraid of the potential bad press the game will get. And I don't mean gaming journalism, I mean mainstream journalism. Anime and video games already have a bad reputation in major newspapers, news programs, and news sites (except for things aimed at family and children). DOAX3 may be the catalyst needed for said bad press. Koei-Tecmo knows it's vulnerable to a media scandal, more now than ever before.
The original DOAX got some bad impressions, but nothing too much. But that was when "ban this filth!" only really came from the traditional moral guardians on the right - and they're downright reasonable compared to some of the current crop of hyperleftist censorists.
Quote:
Then again, you also have figures who thrive on controversy, like Donald Trump. Maybe this statement is a way to dodge blame (if peopleget mad over this game's content, it'll be harder to blame because they're making games for their own country's audience and them alone).
Trump's style is actively taking advantage of antiestablishment feelings and had a great chance to test the waters just with his announcement speech; Team Ninja, on the other hand, only has landmines to step on and is already seeing negative reactions just from its announcement.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I'm not surprised if the sales weren't too hot since it's a Japanese game exclusively on an American console. I'm not sure why companies do that.

Presumably because no one figured there'd be anything wrong with putting a japanese exclusive game on a console they had no way of knowing was going to sell so poorly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The original DOAX got some bad impressions, but nothing too much. But that was when "ban this filth!" only really came from the traditional moral guardians on the right - and they're downright reasonable compared to some of the current crop of hyperleftist censorists.

Yep, the sociopolitical climate has changed, though I don't really see much of a difference between the passion, for lack of a better word, between the right and the left. But that's probably because I've only lived in a politically far-left area but not a politically far-right.

That being said, video games are the only medium I've seen where there is a lot of pushback against the backlash (or perceived backlash). Everywhere else, if something is released that looks degrading to women, it will get that backlash, and it won't really encounter much opposition.

Here is the bottom half of the playfield for Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons, a pinball machine released in 2015 (the image itself is pretty large and this is the smallest I could get it without losing detail on the artwork; there is comparatively little artwork on the top half):

When pictures of this machine were released on the Facebook and Twitter accounts of Stern Pinball, the manufacturer, Stern was completely flooded with complaints of sexism, objectification, fetishization, voyeurism, and general degradation of the female characters. They are all shapely and well-endowed, and the table's artwork is packed with double entendres. There were also a few people defending Stern, arguing that the men are also shown in a negative light as complete pervs or to not buy the machine (which is not a black-and-white option as, of course, pinball machines are meant to be put out in public and in view of everyone passing by). Stern's response on social media was to delete all of the comments complaining about the artwork while leaving the defenders' comments untouched, which fueled the fire further. Flame wars broke out on Pinside Forums like nothing anyone had ever seen.

In the end, Whoa Nellie! became the decade's worst-selling pinball machine so far, with a little over 200 units manufactured and still available for sale, and they will neither make any more or make mention of it ever again. The guy who ran Stern's social media was fired and replaced. Operators who put out the machines in public are embarrassed to bring it out, business owners where the machines would be located refuse to have Whoa Nellie! on their premises, and male private owners became afraid of their wives' potential wrath.

In other words, the pinball community rejected this machine because they feared it would hurt their image, collectively speaking. Pinball already has a reputation of being "the dirty secret to hide from the wife" or "a way to unwind at the bar"; having a machine like Whoa Nellie! that reinforces that thought is the last thing they want. Not coincidentially, the IFPA, the governing international body for tournaments, started official womens-only events, seemingly an apology on behalf of Stern.

I'm actually kind of surprised that grown-up video gamers, who already have the stereotype of either "basement-dwelling neckbeards who'll never get a girlfriend" or "horny entitled dudebro stoners" are making no effort to dispel these stereotypes, but instead, are embracing them. It is the only medium I've seen whose fans are depicted negatively in mainstream culture that aren't trying to fix their image. Science fiction fans and superhero fans have already done so, and tabletop gaming fans and pinball fans (as I described above) are in the process of doing so, sports fans have done all that they can, but video game fans seem to be regressing back.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Aaaand we're done here. Lot of people getting pissed off at the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Highly unprofessional of the guy running their FB to give out reasons that were never sanctioned by Koei-Tecmo themselves. Looks like in this specific situation the only one with an agenda to push was this FB poster, esp. seeing as there has been no outcry or protest about this game so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5