• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Instead of bitching about the 2nd season again, I will say that I heavily enjoyed this first season. Quite a bit was cut out, but assuming the anime was going an original route from the beginning, that's perfectly fine.

Which begs the question of why they bothered bringing Tsukiyama back if he was just gonna be crapped on later, but oh well.

Anyway, the visuals and the OST were competent enough, and it was an absolute joy seeing certain scenes in motion. That last episode in particular was something special. If I had to nitpick about that one, it would be about how they changed spoiler[Kaneki's sadistic choice from a mother and child (bringing Hinami and her mom to mind) to a pair of lovers.] The message and effect it has on Kaneki is still present and felt, but I liked that extra bit of suffering it gave him.

Dub's really great too. Favorite parts of it were Touka, Mado, and Yamori.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry but the negative should be this leads to watching season 2.

I am sorry but's been a while since a season 2 nearly destroyed my interest in a show I REALLY LOVED, the only thing I can compare root A to is code geass r2

And that is really sad because unlike code geass this actually does have a really strong narrative in it that the adaptation was not able to kill completely unlike r2.

The thing I can't understand is how they went from such an amazing execution of the adaptation as season 1 to the really quite terrible execution in root a
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Story A-??

I wonder how much would you give to the manga, being 100 times better executed, well structured with the character motivations, developments and interactions, and the plot devices in general (not to say about all the fantastic and well-thought infodumps about the settings they gave us in several instances the anime completely ommited. This anime was a terrible adaptation with a terribly rushed execution of everything lol

Deserves a C+ at best.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Story A-??

I wonder how much would you give to the manga, being 100 times better executed, well structured with the character motivations, developments and interactions, and the plot devices in general (not to say about all the fantastic and well-thought infodumps about the settings they gave us in several instances the anime completely ommited. This anime was a terrible adaptation with a terribly rushed execution of everything lol

Deserves a C+ at best.

The review is for the first season of the anime, not a comparison of manga vs. anime. The idea is to give people an idea of how it holds up on its own. Plus, a pretty consistent trend I've noticed is that people who haven't read the manga are pretty satisfied, at least with the first season, and many enjoyed the second.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be a little frank and say Shuu was the only thing that kept the show remotely entertaining for me. Just felt like more mediocre grimdark YA fiction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Story A-??

Deserves a C+ at best.

The review is for the first season of the anime, not a comparison of manga vs. anime. The idea is to give people an idea of how it holds up on its own. Plus, a pretty consistent trend I've noticed is that people who haven't read the manga are pretty satisfied, at least with the first season, and many enjoyed the second.

Eh, even if I hadn't read the manga, I'd still probably be calling the 2nd season crap. So many plot points set up and then just nonchalantly dropped. Lots of character actions that don't make sense; mainly from Kaneki, but others like Tsukiyama aren't exempt as well.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I say this every time there is a Tokyo Ghoul article. The reason the show is truly special is because it is a Shonen Action Tragedy. The way the story unfolds is very similar to something like One Piece or Naruto. But every step of the story, where you expect there to be triumph or victory only brings sorrow and tragedy. Kaneki powers up and defeats the villain, Yay! Except he had to adopt a completely new and sadistic personality, and his quest for power isolated him from the very people he wanted to protect. And I also say this a bunch, but I believe the second season to be BETTER than the first season, because it is a stronger thematic story. The perfect way to view the second season is that it is the thematic culmination of the manga, and should be viewed as something to accompany the manga and enhance the experience of reading it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
And I also say this a bunch, but I believe the second season to be BETTER than the first season, because it is a stronger thematic story.

While I do consider the first season superior because the story is better structured, and it has a special energy, I was more invested in the the second season because I did not expect to experience such an emotional ride in a show about monsters and action. The scene in the last episode of season 2 spoiler[with the acoustic version of the first season's opening playing in the background] was very powerful in terms of emotions.

Speaking of season 2, I assume Funimation will release it by mid 2016.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I think I would have enjoyed this, if it were going for an original ending. However first season clearly wasn't. And I put more of the blame of the second season on the production studio (studio pierrot's ace card was clearly landed on AkaYona) vs Ishida-sensei. Who was on a time crunch for coming up with storyboards, end cards & a weekly manga.
the green death

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I really thought the last episode of season me was just about as perfect an episode of anime as I've seen in some 30 years of watching. It had ideology and it took the story in a thematically appropriate direction. I'm only half way through season two and it's ok but honestly I sort of felt the themes had properly played out in the final episode of season one, even if the story hadn't and I'm not quite convinced of a deep need for more story at this point.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Liberal scripting messes up the tone sometimes. For example, while I'd buy Mado making a “wascally wabbit” reference, his confrontation with Touka – a tense, climactic moment that has longstanding consequences for the rest of the show – wasn't the best time for the gag.
I don't think the problem is with how they did it. I think you've just misinterpreted the intention of the scene and what they were going for.

It's not a gag. You're not supposed to laugh go 'Ha Ha he made a Bugs Bunny joke Anime hyper'. It's obvious that Mado was overconfident and didn't quite understand the gravity of the situation evidenced by the fact that he spent almost the entirety of that fight mocking Touka with the mindset that he was always 10 steps ahead. It more than makes sense for him to crack a joke during that situation. In fact it actually supports the scene by helping drive in just how insensitive he was to Touka's pain.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Story A-??

Deserves a C+ at best.

The manga is not perfect, has several problems.
If you spent several years in the anime adaptations you should know that not all placed. The important thing is to follow the plot of the manga. TG anime (first season) omitted several scenes of the manga but nothing major, and kept intact the plot of the manga.
For example Parasyte the personalities of the characters of the manga vs anime are very different; They placed 4 chapters of manga one anime, when each chapter of the manga had more than 40 pages; They omitted several things manga; they changed several things as happened in the manga; but they followed the plot of the manga. Parasyte has almost the same kind of adaptation that TG first season; but no claim, because almost no one read the manga and the studio did have good fame.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
So many plot points set up and then just nonchalantly dropped.

In the first manga same thing happens,
but this can be arranged with original third season (in the case of anime).

Lots of character actions that don't make sense; mainly from Kaneki, but others like Tsukiyama aren't exempt as well.

In both seasons TG and manga there are many implicit information, especially in ROOT A. Kaneki joined at Aogiri to be stronger and protect Anteiku, he says in chapter 7 on the part of the bridge. Kashimiro fight vs Kaneki, because it smell of Rize Kashimiro his daughter.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Shuu, for example, never grows into more than a camp gay stereotype for the sake of tired comedy.

In the manga it is also true, only after Arc Aogiri Kaneki and Shuu becomes friends, but in the second season anime is different from the manga. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-11/tokyo-ghoul-2nd-anime-season-video-teases-new-story-by-creator/.79825

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
While some viewers can appreciate a balance, Tokyo Ghoul is better when it's trying to make the audience feel, not laugh.

That should tell Ishida.
Ishida likes to put in Tokyo Ghoul comedy when not working, and they are bad jokes that destroy the ambiance.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
In terms of technical merits, this is clearly a limited production. Some of the middle episodes feature animation that seems to consist entirely of in-betweens.

A bad animation, where?

Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
The manga is not perfect, has several problems.
If you spent several years in the anime adaptations you should know that not all placed. The important thing is to follow the plot of the manga. TG anime (first season) omitted several scenes of the manga but nothing major, and kept intact the plot of the manga.
For example Parasyte the personalities of the characters of the manga vs anime are very different; They placed 4 chapters of manga one anime, when each chapter of the manga had more than 40 pages; They omitted several things manga; they changed several things as happened in the manga; but they followed the plot of the manga. Parasyte has almost the same kind of adaptation that TG first season; but no claim, because almost no one read the manga and the studio did have good fame.

Except that the anime was clearly rushing which was noticeable even if you weren't a mangareader. Parasyte only omitted a few pages here and there but the TG anime actually skipped more than 10 chapters. Most of those skipped chapters included important plot points that were relevant in the second season.

Dayblack wrote:
In both seasons TG and manga there are many implicit information, especially in ROOT A. Kaneki joined at Aogiri to be stronger and protect Anteiku, he says in chapter 7 on the part of the bridge. Kashimiro fight vs Kaneki, because it smell of Rize Kashimiro his daughter.

Wrong, he's main goal was to infiltrate aogiri and kill the one eyed king. This was in the drafts for Root A but it never made it to the anime. Anyways it still doesn't explain what happened to shachi or why Aogiri wanted him that badly in the first place.
Dayblack wrote:
In the manga it is also true, only after Arc Aogiri Kaneki and Shuu becomes friends, but in the second season anime is different from the manga. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-11/tokyo-ghoul-2nd-anime-season-video-teases-new-story-by-creator/.79825

Funny how Pierrot didn't even properly use any of the draft Ishida prepared for the new story. In the draft and the manga, both Kaneki and Tsukiyama had some pretty interesting interactions with each other.
http://chinchillalace.tumblr.com/post/131062178436/i-dont-know-if-anybody-has-scanned-this-yet-but

Dayblack wrote:

Nice cherrypicking mate. Tsukiyama had a similar development to Suzuya but the director cut all of his relevant screen time and instead left out the sniffing scenes which made him look like a stupid joke in the end. I also don't know why you're taking that panel from :re manga out of context.

Dayblack wrote:
That should tell Ishida.
Ishida likes to put in Tokyo Ghoul comedy when not working, and they are bad jokes that destroy the ambiance.

You're not even trying anymore. That first one was a foreshadowing not a joke and how is the second one even supposed to be funny?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
So many plot points set up and then just nonchalantly dropped.

Dayblack wrote:
In the first manga same thing happens,

Not true. Yes, plenty of plot points aren't completely resolved, but they were at least given some degree of establishment. And that's why there is a sequel manga, to properly conclude them. Even then, the original manga had a much better conclusion and sense of finality than this.

Lots of character actions that don't make sense; mainly from Kaneki, but others like Tsukiyama aren't exempt as well.

Dayblack wrote:

And yet Kaneki accomplishes jack and squat while he's there, and leaves Aogiri halfway through the season. We know he got a kakuja, but the series doesn't really make clear if he attacked rogue ghouls to get it or Aogiri-aligned ghouls. And if it was the latter, it didn't really seem to affect Aogiri negatively in the long run.

As for Shachi, we don't know his relationship with Rize, just that he has the same last name as her, and it's established in the manga that "Rize Kamishiro" might even just be an alias.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Shuu, for example, never grows into more than a camp gay stereotype for the sake of tired comedy.

Dayblack wrote:
In the manga it is also true, only after Arc Aogiri Kaneki and Shuu becomes friends, but in the second season anime is different from the manga.

No, even after Aogiri, while Kaneki does let Tsukiyama accompany him, it's only because his strength and influence in the ghoul world would be useful. Kaneki makes it clear that he doesn't trust him, and that he would kill him the moment he does anything suspicious. Of course, that changes later on. And Tsukiyama does tone down his obsession with Kaneki; at least, they make it so that it's not one of his few character traits, and his interactions with Hinami and Banjou make that clear. Unlike the anime. And that last Tsukiyama panel is clearly taken out of context from the :re manga, nice try.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
While some viewers can appreciate a balance, Tokyo Ghoul is better when it's trying to make the audience feel, not laugh.

Dayblack wrote:
That should tell Ishida.

None of those are clearly jokes, so I don't know what you're talking about. The Clowns clearly aren't supposed to be funny. And that last page is just Ishida's art being expressive. Arguably too expressive. It's a well-known fact that his art vastly improves later on, and not just in terms of how it looks. And yes, Ishida does like putting in humor and lightheartedness, but not when things are looking particularly serious. If it was just grimdark seriousness all the time, that'd be crap.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Considering how violent this series is, does anyone know why episode 17 was edited? There are scenes where someone is stabbed with knives... The knives are sticking out of the character's arms and whatnot, and she's bleeding. You don't see any of it as the areas around the knives are heavily blurred. I believe there was a scene in episode 18 that involved stabbing and knives and that was also heavily edited (shadows would obscure the visual of the knives/stabbing).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2