• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noragami Soundtrack 2 Cancelled Due to Islamic Sound Samples

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I think that is hard to believe since in all the decades I have been following anime, I have not heard about one incident where a japanese anime has been censored due to another religion followers being offended

Then you haven't been following anime very hard.

In this context I meant "another religion different to islam" i.e. Christian, Jew, Buddhism, Hindu, etc.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
A CD is cancelled to avoid offending the Muslims. Meanwhile, the same Muslims that are most likely to be offended are still sneaking into other countries and murdering innocent people. Political correctness has gone too far.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand. Just because Christianity teaches to "turn the other cheek", that means media depicting things offensive to Christians should be overlooked? Christianity isn't one constant thing, many people of many diverse denominations celebrate the religion in different ways. I've seen a lot of self-described "terrible" Christians speak for all Christians too many times, or people of other religions doing the same. It's almost as if people have a very worn down soft spot for certain cultures.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
I don't understand. Just because Christianity teaches to "turn the other cheek", that means media depicting things offensive to Christians should be overlooked? Christianity isn't one constant thing, many people of many diverse denominations celebrate the religion in different ways. I've seen a lot of self-described "terrible" Christians speak for all Christians too many times, or people of other religions doing the same. It's almost as if people have a very worn down soft spot for certain cultures.

Whether it should be overlooked or not is irrelevant. It is now part of the culture and tradition. Whether it is political satire, biting commentary, or commercial excess.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I think that is hard to believe since in all the decades I have been following anime, I have not heard about one incident where a japanese anime has been censored due to another religion followers being offended

Then you haven't been following anime very hard.

Or Playstation games either.
(As a song on PS3's Little Big Planet's soundtrack had to be recalled for innocently containing Islamic text.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

So you're just making an assumption based on nothing that you should interpret what he said as something other than exactly what he said?

Yeah because context doesn't matter when it looks like you're seemingly advocating fairness on a particular issue when it really looks like you're disparaging a group of people with some malicious intent in mind.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

They just aren't / shouldn't be more entitled to having people cave than believers in any other religion.

To me this is just another instance of Japan doing something for some reason that they initially don't see the harm in doing until someone has to point out the wrong in it. Not Muslims getting outraged at some Japanese people doing something potentially upsetting and a special exception being made to correct it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
A key difference is that there are different levels of sacredness between the religions. There are a lot of sacred things in Islam, whereas the amount in Christianity is a lot lower (but they're there). Compare Christianity to Buddhism, for instance, where everyone seems free to use Buddhist imagery in any context they like and no one cares. That, and Christianity is kind of omnipresent, so people know instinctively what not to use to avoid stepping on some Christians' toes.

It’s amazing that you actually said or implied strongly that Islam is more sacred than other religions. It is not that Islam has more sacred stuff, but that after decades or longer of being lampooned, criticized, commercialized, and satirized, that no one believes that the followers of Christianity hold anything sacred.
The bottom line is that the free world has been treating religion with utter disrespect and some disdain as if was as natural as breathing. Yet we are expected to give a bye to Islam. That is the very definition of favoritism.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This music was not meant to ridicule Islam.

Think you misunderstood what I said. I was not talking about the music, but rather why the Japanese changed it.
Yohanlie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
* Sorry, moslem here, and i'm trying to give my subjective opinion.
* Sorry for bad english.

First about sacred things for Every Religion.

IMHO

Every Religion, originally, they keeping the sanctity of their teachings.
Then as the times changing. Some modern people keep the teaching without pay attention to the sacredness.

What else can we do. The times have changed.

However, there are region where still keeping the sacredness,
still close to mysticism, and still trying maintaining the purity.
(regardless of their religion)

Will not accepting if someone playing with the sacred.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now i will discuss it from Islam views.

Please undertand.

Islam have unique way to keep their sacredness. I don't know if other religion have a same culture.

Conclusion :
1. Islam have rules about how we treat ourself, others, and treat our teachings.

*One of our teaching is, the Allah name is sacred. We can't call Allah name in inappropriate condition. Like in toilet or in dirty place.

* Ridicullus i think for who doesn't understand it. But try imagine, if you call the name of your dearest people in prostitution place. How if someone doing it in front of you?

* The action it self won't make GOD sanctity fades. It's still bright. However, it's our expression to respect our creator. Please respect our devoutly for our Creator.

2. Islam has splitted into several group.

*some group is radical. #1

*some group have tolerance #2

*some group can't decide themself. They doesn't understand their position. #3

* Why the teaching different between no 1 ~ 3? This is happened because politics. The black side in Islam history. I won't talk about it deeply. If you doing research, mostly religion have splitted into group. And almost all of it because politics.

3. the one doing protest doesn't really understand Islam.

* First, they only saying : haram - halal , sinfull, to the one made Push Button. But they never give any explanation about the sacredness in a GOOD WAY. This is make non-islam miss-understand (not logically but emphatically).

the point is, they only saying it by what they hear, or by what they know. literally.

* About Adzan as music. As i saying before, the preception between Islamic scholars is different. Depends on their side, radical one, or tolerance.

The one prohibited all music in Islam is the radikal one. (we know them as ISIS, or another group terorrist)

But the another side, welcoming the music, as long it's have good effect to society. (not music that teach about sex, hate, or another bad things)

However,

About Adzan into music. Do you know that my country (indonesia), or maybe another one. Have our religi music band. Where the scriptures or something like adzan is mixing in the music?

And no one angry about it.
And everyone become crazy when Noragami insert it in their music.

double standard.

But i will return it to how we keep our God sacredness name.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My last Opinion as tolerance moslem.

I don't hate the push button music.
Well, i still be carefull when listen it, to not playing it in the toilet or another inappropriate place.

In one side,
I'm Happy if others can hearing how cool and beautifull our Adzan from Noragami. And hoping the one interested will searching in you tube what is Adzan.

But... what happened now isn't something like that.

In other side,
I'm afraid if this continue, people will disrespect Adzan. I, can hear push button while respecting the Adzan and enjoy the beautifull music.
But how about others?
How if someday, the Adzan remixed again, and played in some club? (actualy this already happened somewhere)

By the way, i trying ask my moslem teacher who study about Islam Law. He saying:

"The music is created by not-islam-people. So he doesn't bound to Islam Law. And as long he doesn't have intend to mock Islam. It's OKAY"

After that, i support push button in noragami.

I hope, you Did not consider Islam as Bad and radical religion.
Because behavior of some people who doesn't understand it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
Actually, modern cryptology nowadays uses the techniques of number theory. Could you give a relevant example of frequency analysis in cryptology?

I'm not sure what you mean. Today's number theory techniques were derived and evolved from the frequency analysis that remained the dominant means of deciphering until the 20th century and is still in wide use among amateur cryptanalysts without access to codebreaking computers. Even variant methods like the Kasiski technique were derived from frequency analysis.

TarsTarkas wrote:
It’s amazing that you actually said or implied strongly that Islam is more sacred than other religions. It is not that Islam has more sacred stuff, but that after decades or longer of being lampooned, criticized, commercialized, and satirized, that no one believes that the followers of Christianity hold anything sacred.
The bottom line is that the free world has been treating religion with utter disrespect and some disdain as if was as natural as breathing. Yet we are expected to give a bye to Islam. That is the very definition of favoritism.

Think you misunderstood what I said. I was not talking about the music, but rather why the Japanese changed it.

No, I didn't say Islam is more sacred than other religions, just that it has more things that are sacred and restricted to how they can be used than other religions. (However, I do live in a heavily Catholic city, so my perceptions may be shaped by me meeting and knowing a lot of people who take offense at certain Christian things being depicted or used in certain ways. I've learned to be careful whom to talk to about the universe's age, for instance, whether it's 13.4 billion years or just 6,000.)

It still comes down to intent and respect. If a number of people feel offended by something that was not intended to be offensive in that way, and the creator feels bad about it, the creator has every right to change it so it's no longer offensive in that way. I see it as an apology for being insensitive.

#848617 wrote:
I don't hate the push button music.
Well, i still be carefull when listen it, to not playing it in the toilet or another inappropriate place.

In one side,
I'm Happy if others can hearing how cool and beautifull our Adzan from Noragami. And hoping the one interested will searching in you tube what is Adzan.

But... what happened now isn't something like that.

In other side,
I'm afraid if this continue, people will disrespect Adzan. I, can hear push button while respecting the Adzan and enjoy the beautifull music.
But how about others?
How if someday, the Adzan remixed again, and played in some club? (actualy this already happened somewhere)

By the way, i trying ask my moslem teacher who study about Islam Law. He saying:

"The music is created by not-islam-people. So he doesn't bound to Islam Law. And as long he doesn't have intend to mock Islam. It's OKAY"

After that, i support push button in noragami.

I hope, you Did not consider Islam as Bad and radical religion.
Because behavior of some people who doesn't understand it.

That's an interesting perspective. I was never really sure where various Muslims would draw the line where things are okay or not okay to do. I've known some Muslims who don't really care about most of Muslim law and always wondered if they're Muslims in name only, much like the Christians in name only who read the Bible (if they do even that) but don't follow any of its rules. It didn't mean they're bad people, they're very courteous and polite, just that they don't take their religion that seriously.

I also didn't know that rule that, because it was created by a non-Islamic person, "Push Buttons" is not bound by Islamic law. That's something I should remember for the future.

It makes me wonder where the people who complained about "Push Buttons" draw that line and how many people there are within that group. There are branches of Christianity that are very loose and tolerant, like Progressive Christianity, but they're fringe minorities, and even in the heavily-Christian United States, most people have never heard of these branches.
Yohanlie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

That's an interesting perspective. I was never really sure where various Muslims would draw the line where things are okay or not okay to do. I've known some Muslims who don't really care about most of Muslim law and always wondered if they're Muslims in name only, much like the Christians in name only who read the Bible (if they do even that) but don't follow any of its rules. It didn't mean they're bad people, they're very courteous and polite, just that they don't take their religion that seriously.

I also didn't know that rule that, because it was created by a non-Islamic person, "Push Buttons" is not bound by Islamic law. That's something I should remember for the future.

It makes me wonder where the people who complained about "Push Buttons" draw that line and how many people there are within that group. There are branches of Christianity that are very loose and tolerant, like Progressive Christianity, but they're fringe minorities, and even in the heavily-Christian United States, most people have never heard of these branches.

I hope this not become Out of Topic.
I just wanna tell you about this.. i enjoying to read your comment

In my country, Indonesia.
And i think General Moslem who not trying to learn deeper about their
history of establishment after our Prophet Dead.

First, several years after the Prophet dead. There are seizure the one who keeping Islam teaching. And the one pretending it.

This lead to divide moslem into two big group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The radical one. Does not have tolerance. They interpreting Qoran and Islam teach literary without find reason behind it. (The lesson to find reason behind law, scriptures, or islam law - named hakikat)

They can't understand the meaning behind sentence in Qoran.

And they the one you see giving teror as terorist now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other one have priority to recpect others. We don't offend others Religion. Our prophet hate that!
We protect other religion in our country, protect they right to praying. Ect.

We blend with science. We always trying to find true meaning behind Qoran sentence, or established rules by Islam. We believe our Prophet is not someone who can't understand society.

The first Islam who coming to Indonesia is this side.

A lot of Indonesia Traditions blended with islam like wayang, ruwatan, ect. Because islam is the culture that will blend with the original one and make new unique culture without erase the original one, or the islam itself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

vice versa, the #1

They will erase everything.

With the word : haram here, haram that.

Even... as you know.
Our sacred monument in arab, the house of our Prophed is destroyed and they will build some public facility on it. by #1

They saying it's haram to keep it. Will make Moslem worship it. Not Allah.

It's Stupid.

We won't worship it.

That is Monumen!!
That our Prophed has live in the past.

It's so heart breaking when bulldozer destroying it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the #3 is don't know about battle beetwen #2 and #1

They only know that they are moslem.

Easy to manipulated by each side.

And do you know, in indonesia.

When election beetween 2 presiden.

Prabowo SUbianto is supported by #1

And Jokowi is supported by #2

#1 radical
#2 tolerance

Fight between both category still continue.

Not only in indonesia.

In a Whole WORLD.

#2 is the one with Syria, Palestine, Iran, Rusia, ect.

#1 is the one with arab and their friends. (and arab have romantic relationship with US, just searching the news how ISIS is funded by several country from west.)

this is the last of my point of view about how Islam is very divided.
Please don't generally us with the #1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
k...i know all the major beliefs have a major part of music in them and accept them...for instance have heard alot of hindumusic in anime..not that but their handjoining like in full metal alchemist..the praiyer sign....i am amazed how much these japanese people are fascinated by them i must say. but all of them must know...there is no place of music in islam....and to get the adhan,,,as pointed out by an observant member here in his music...well he was asking for it no mattter how babyinnocent he is saying he is,you have to takeout what you messed up in there ,no need for any excuses....hey we have to follow some rules inlife as on sites or in any profession no matter how much y0u are..cough..... carefree an d superficially having an open mind Smile
Yohanlie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
there is no place of music in islam

Im sorry if miss-understand your comment.

But

If you mean islam prohibted music.

Please read my explanation.

What islam do you point to?
The radical one or tolerance?

https://islamictext.wordpress.com/music-azhar-fatwa/

Listening to music, attending musical gatherings, and studying music of all genres and instruments is allowed as long as it is not accompanied with immoral and sinful acts, or used as a pretext to incite people towards haram (prohibited) behaviour, and it does not preoccupy a person away from observing the obligatory acts of worship (al-wajibat).
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
#848617 wrote:
The radical one or tolerance?

Tolerance does not mean allowing others to live in peace where you're a minority and lack the power to do anything else, what it does mean is allowing others to live in peace where you hold the power to persecute or destroy them. The abysmal human rights record of Muslim-dominated countries demonstrates that intolerance is clearly not limited to a relative handful of radicalized terrorists. One can, of course, counter with criticisms of Christianity regarding homophobia, reproductive rights, and other issues, but the fact that you're completely free to do so is proof of the difference.

Rebutting those concerns with "not all are like that" or shouting "Christophobia" doesn't get apologists very far even when they're not immediately ridiculed for making the attempt, so over time adherents have no choice but to take those criticisms to heart and eventually start trying to change things within their churches. They may often lag several decades behind secular society, but they're still able to adapt because of this accountability.

With Muslims, however, the problems never have anything to do with them. Female genital mutilation, honor killings, acid attacks, those aren't real Islam. Blasphemy laws and persecution of other religions in Muslim-controlled countries isn't real Islam either. By the time one runs through the whole list, it would appear real Islam only exists where a very small number of Muslims live among a large number of non-Muslims, when there's no alternative to trying to get along.

Let me make this very clear though, I do not think all Muslims should be expected to grovel for forgiveness every time there's a terrorist attack, for the same reasons it would be ridiculous for members of the Affirming Pentecostal Church to have to answer for the behavior of the Westboro Baptist Church. What I'm sick and tired of is this nonsense about how all the bad things are done by terrorists while all the real Muslims never mistreat those who don't share their beliefs or follow their practices, when the obvious observable facts demonstrate otherwise unless there are barely any "true Muslims" at all. There are too many problems that exist far beyond just fringe groups such as ISIS, and they can't be fixed if all people do is throw up smokescreens or throw out accusations of bigotry in order to shut down criticism instead of acknowledging those issues.

The fact that Muslims can practice tolerance when there's no other choice does not invalidate concerns about intolerance when the opportunity for it arises, which is where a significant swath of contemporary Islam visibly falters. Nobody needs to accept personal responsibility to become an agent of change, all it takes is a widespread shift in attitude from "Not all of us are like that!" or "Nobody who's really one of us is like that!" to "Some of us are like that, and they shouldn't be." Just that alone generates the peer pressure which drives changes in attitudes and behavior, whereas denialism and scapegoating only perpetuate the status quo. The inevitable side-effect of always passing the buck to terrorists or some other outlier is that it makes everyone who doesn't belong to those specific groups feel welcome and validated regardless of how extreme they are themselves.
Yohanlie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Moslem that dominate other's country comanded by the person that has no right to become khilafah in that time.

The true descendants of Prophet Muhammad, also struggles in their rein period.

On that time, false hadis (law of islam that be delivered) shown, the Quran sentence meaning be deflected to make their action look right.

Until country named Saudi Arabia erected. That's happened.

Saud is not the one who have the right to holds the mandate of Islam.

Yes you right. As long we, become minority maybe we won't ever show off and trying to keep our tolerance.

But we know, the majority decide the law. The minor must obey.

But it is how we treat the minor respecfully. When they respect the law.
Is the law will harm the minor one ? I think when the reason for it to make society stabilize without harm. It's okay.

I don't know how your thinking about Iran. Because this little country become west enemy, maybe a lot of bad rumor spread from them.

But i have a lot of friend that knowing iran, or have relative in there.

The majority not mistreated the minority.

Others religion have their right to run their praying.
Even the jews, that hated very much by most moslem people.
Iran keep they jews people save.

You can search the news how iran jews demonstrate to usa because of threat of war.

Iran is arab enemy.

In indonesia.

I become minority Moslem.

Last edited by Yohanlie on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yohanlie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
So before we continue our discussion.

What are moslem you referring to?

Wahhabi?

Ahlul Sunnah?

Shia?

Radical Shia?

The example you give to us.

And based on your opinion about Islam.

I think because what you see all this time is Wahabbi / fake ahlul sunnah.

That what happening in this world.

People only know moslem as moslem. Without known there are different group or teaching in it.

Sadly, the one very shown clearly is wahabism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10