• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noragami Soundtrack 2 Cancelled Due to Islamic Sound Samples

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Saying Muslims shouldn't be receiving special treatment over other religions or cultures doesn't really come off as saying you want equal treatment

How exactly is that? Seriously, go take a moment to reread what you just wrote. Saying no religion should be receiving special treatment means exactly that all religions should receive equal treatment. The two are logically equivalent statements.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Lupica wrote:
however, I can imagine a few select ways to use religious themes from Christianity which would rightfully hurt and upset believers. And I would expect the Muslim fans in this thread to be the first to defend anyone hurt by that kind of thing too as they clearly understand how it feels, so unless that's already happened in some previous thread I missed and the Christians received no support, I don't think it's fair to undermine the feelings of the people hurt by this now-banned song based on conjecture. If you're hurt by the inclusion of Christian imagery in entertainment, please make some noise and educate people about it so we can push for change and respect in a positive way.

No. As simple as that, no matter how offensive a film, song, book or comic about my religion, my culture or my country might be, the best thing we can do IMO is just ignore and forget. Because as someone else said, either you have freedom of speech or you do not. As someone else said in another thread "give an inch and they will take a mile".
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
How exactly is that? Seriously, go take a moment to reread what you just wrote. Saying no religion should be receiving special treatment means exactly that all religions should receive equal treatment. The two are logically equivalent statements.

Playing devil's advocate: I think what they mean is that "equal treatment" is not always appropriate. For example, "all humans should be treated equally" seems like a fair notion, but is it really fair if you take away support for disabled people because you think that they should not have any special treatment, take away their parking bays?

I have mixed feelings about this news. My initial reaction was that the whole thing is stupid and given that there was no ill intent, it's seems ridiculous to me that any Muslim would get angry over this. Raised eyebrows? Maybe. But full on angry? No.

But reading through all the comments, especially the ones from users claiming to be Muslim, I appreciate that I don't know how they would feel about this. And the comparisons to Christianity is completely meaningless, as someone else pointed out, the Bible itself advises not to get your panties in a bunch when others try to bring you down.

It's natural and in many cases ok for people to behave differently in similar situations. For many Western households, noone would bat an eye at people walking around the house in shoes, but in Japan and many Asian cultures, trampling through the house in shoes you wore outside... it's as if you threw mud in their face.

So I understand why they've decided to pull the track, what's done is done, and there's not really much else they could have done given the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Is this really about having offended people or is it about them being afraid something might happen in retaliation?

I have a hard time believing it is entirely the former given how anime has treated other religions.

It's the latter. With terrible things happening in parts of the world involving Islam, Japanese are not going to piss certain group of people who will do anything to make their point.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
CycloneSP wrote:
so when if someone finds something offensive to islam, we gotta pull it immediately. But if something is offensive to christianity, we can just mock it all we want, right?

Double standards much?

A key difference is that there are different levels of sacredness between the religions. There are a lot of sacred things in Islam, whereas the amount in Christianity is a lot lower (but they're there). Compare Christianity to Buddhism, for instance, where everyone seems free to use Buddhist imagery in any context they like and no one cares. That, and Christianity is kind of omnipresent, so people know instinctively what not to use to avoid stepping on some Christians' toes.

CeruleanDragon wrote:
To anyone that is more familiar with Islam, is it offensive because it is an actual prayer? Is it not supposed to be spoken outside of the actual call to prayer? I guess I'm just not understanding completely. Sorry. ^^;

Yes, with this type of prayer, it's considered blasphemous to use it in a context outside of prayer (or study).

Islam has pretty specific rules about what is or isn't sacred and what is and isn't okay with sacred things compared to most other religions, and the Koran is one of the holiest books there is, if not THE holiest. It has been studied so intensely that modern cryptography (codebreaking) originated from Koran study.

mangamuscle wrote:
Sacred Blood wrote:
it still baffles me as to how little research some artists do for their work.

You must be new around here, as someone else said, Japanese manage to misinterpret english on a regular basis (we call it "engrish") and that is a language they are teach at school, so I bet there is no one with comprehension of arabic or farsi lives within several a hundred kilometer radius from OST author of Noragami. Also, this is not limited to islam, as any christian who saw Fate/Stay Night; nor limited to Japan, as we have seen in several hollywood blockbusters (like the last Indiana Jones flick).

BTW, this kind of incident is nothing new, centuries ago there were some european artists that drew images of the holy virgin with using arabic words.

Two other things to consider: Most people in Japan have also never met a Muslim before, and Shinto mythology and folklore are constantly appropriated into Japanese media. It may not have occurred to anyone working on the show that what is fair game for their own religion might not be okay for someone else's.

Sachiko2010 wrote:
I hope everyone who is applauding this situation, or who finds it fine and not an issue at all, understands that they are essentially endorsing the suppression of free artistic expression based on blasphemy grounds. You may want to educate yourselves on the scope and use of blasphemy laws in those countries where they exist. Invariably they are used to suppress free expression of ideas and creativity and frequently result in jail time or worse. You may also want to talk to those writers and artists who have unwittingly found themselves subjected to censure due to blasphemy (maybe talk to Salman Rushdie to start with, but there are many others).

Consider also that if artists were to apply this principle to the representation or use of other religious music, iconography, text, where we would be? Are depictions of crucifixes, the Star of David, Buddha acceptable? How about sampling other types of spiritual music? What about representing a church service or catholic mass, or Buddhist or Shinto ceremony within a particular scene of a movie or television show? Or incorporating a portion of a Hindu spiritual verse in a poem? Are those acceptable?

Two things here.

The first is intent of the creator. The prayer verses were being used to accompany a song without any deeper meaning. The composer just liked how the prayer sounded. It is not a criticism about Islam or anything else, and the composer did not mean to disrespect anyone through the song. It's not what he wanted.

The second is that there are different levels of what is acceptable between religions, and that is based on what the followers of those religions believe. If most Jews say it's okay to show a Star of David, then by all means use it. (The Star of David IS holy, but it's a symbol of pride and thus meant for public use.) In this case, there are large quantities of Muslims who consider use of this prayer for non-prayer purposes as not okay.

Hence, it's not an issue of fear, but an issue of respect. If we are to promote religious tolerance, we must also be understanding and respectful of people of other religions. (I don't mean that we should never mock and criticize religion, but rather, to avoid accidentally offending people when that was never the purpose. I am not okay with Comedy Central editing down the South Park episode "201," for example, because it IS a criticism on religion. It all comes down to intent.)

TarsTarkas wrote:
Japan can do whatever they want when it comes to Islam. I don't blame them for their fear. For that is what it is.

It is practically the national pastime ridiculing religion in the United States. If it is perfectly acceptable to joke and insult every other religion in the world (which is done with no problem), then granting Islam an exception to that gives it a special status. We all know why Islam is granted that deference, that no other religion is granted.

This music was not meant to ridicule Islam.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The second is that there are different levels of what is acceptable between religions

The thing is, if the iman or the ayatollah proclaimed that no muslim should hear or own "Push Buttons" that would be business as usual. If said CD was confiscated on sight on airport customs of said countres that would be reprehensible but still, not many people would be affected. The thing is that this is an attempt to erase from the face of the world a piece of music. I hate it when the USA attempts to make extraterritorial use of their laws, it is the same if some religion tries to do the same and tries to regulate what I may or may not hear. Yeah, I know that this is already out there and people can download it in some places, but you will never be able to legally buy it and this has a chilling effect

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ambimunch

This is absolutely ridiculous, people these days are intentionally looking for reasons to be offended by! Heck, be happy a popular show used sounds that resemble your culture, why get all anal about it? Thousands of movies reference your religion in actual offensive ways, go fight with them, and stop looking for reasons to start shit.

Watch people, this could end up being the reason we never get a third season:

-Money paid to print dvd/blu ray/OST
-Money spent shipping them to stores
-Money lost canceling pre orders
-Money lost shipping the sets back
-Money lost re-doing the OST
-Money lost re-printing new dvd/blu rays/OST
-Money spent re-shipping new versions to stores
-Money lost from customers who just went and spent it elsewhere and will never buy this.

In other words volume one will BOMB in sales, and for a short show that is 12 episodes that is like 20% of Net Sales from the entire season lost. Not to mention less people buy anime in Japan because it is expensive and not to mention this isn't One Piece or Attack on Titan that are VERY popular -- this could lead to the show under-selling and us never getting a season three. Congratz to those people who started this, your selfishness ruined it for everyone else.
brucepuppy

Poor Iwasaki, he had no idea he picked up the wrong "cool BGM matter" that in fact is related to the crankiest religion in the world.

If you live in a Muslim country and you're not one of its follower, you'll probably get fed up for hearing adzan 5 times a day and hardly find it beautiful. It's somewhat annoying instead, especially when it wakes you up during the loud dawn call.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I have reread what I wrote and like I said before Mature Kun's comment didn't look like it was saying anything about fair and equal treatment concerning how religions are perceived in the public and the media. It more or less looked they were taking issue with muslims having the audaciousness of being outraged at something they'd would easily be excused for being upset about.

Lili-Hime wrote:

Umm nope. In a free society all religions, philosophies and worldviews are open to criticism and satire,

If the criticism and satire of such things are designed in such a way to deliberately be offensive and nothing else then they deserve to be rightfully rebuked or challenged.

Lili-Hime wrote:

The ironic thing is you seem to be asserting that using the music here is Islamophic.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion. Since the use of the prayer call wouldn't be considered Islamophobic it would simply be considered potentially offensive depending on the individual.

Lili-Hime wrote:
Therefore walking on eggshells because you're afraid of what a violent sect of Islam would do

They could only do this out of fear of what Islamic extremists might do if they discovered what they did? Not simply doing it because they don't potentially want to upset the countless numbers of muslims who aren't violent extremists?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It has been studied so intensely that modern cryptography (codebreaking) originated from Koran study.

First time I've heard this. Can I ask for a source. I was under the impression that Claude Shannon was the godfather of modern cryptography.
Jonesy974

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Completely ridiculous.

A small handful of muslims got butthurt so now they have to go back and get all PC.

They're pulling the OST, who knows if they'll even re-release it with the track removed. (though as a nice slap in the face, the OST is already on the internet forever, so that track will never disappear).

They're also halting the BD, which means they're going to edit the soundtrack of whatever episodes have it. (though as a nice slap n the face, I'm sure there will be at least one fansub group who will splice the original audio for those scenes with the BD video).

If this was any other religion nobody would've paid the slightest bit of attention. But because it's Islam it needs to be addressed instantly otherwise it becomes a global issue. What a shame.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm an atheist with Jewish heritage, and I still participate in the Jewish culture. I hold my culture dear, and yeah, if they used Jewish prayers as a part of anime techno music, it might make me feel... Awkward... Like my heritage of history and suffering is being appropriated without any care for what it means. Now a techno remix of Dreidel Dreidel I am ALL up for! Hahaha

So while I'm a little iffy about artistic expression being censored, the fact is, this does hurt people. It's not "social justice warriors" or something of that equivalent trying to ruin everyone's fun. This is a world in which anime airs all around the world, and information is instant. A certain amount of consideration is needed for things like these.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
First time I've heard this. Can I ask for a source. I was under the impression that Claude Shannon was the godfather of modern cryptography.

Depends on what you mean. The man I'm referring to is Al-Kindi, a mathematician who popularized frequency analysis in the Arab world in the 9th century. His techniques were then brought over to Europe, where they were then used to crack encrypted messages during the Middle Ages.

Prior to Al-Kindi, decoding was done mainly via brute force, and anything more complicated than a simple substitution cipher was deemed unsolvable.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I have reread what I wrote and like I said before Mature Kun's comment didn't look like it was saying anything about fair and equal treatment concerning how religions are perceived in the public and the media. It more or less looked they were taking issue with muslims having the audaciousness of being outraged at something they'd would easily be excused for being upset about.

So you're just making an assumption based on nothing that you should interpret what he said as something other than exactly what he said? Because what you were trying to say it doesn't come off as is logically equivalent to precisely what he actually said. You do know that saying about assumptions right?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
If the criticism and satire of such things are designed in such a way to deliberately be offensive and nothing else then they deserve to be rightfully rebuked or challenged.

You are of course free to rebuke and challenge any criticism or satire. That is how free speech works. I haven't seen a single poster here suggest that any of the responses from offended muslims should be censored. They just aren't / shouldn't be more entitled to having people cave than believers in any other religion.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Hyperdrve wrote:

If it were done to Christians then they would've been told to suck it up.

Actually, we are told to suck it up. By Jesus himself, no less.

Beautifully put sir/madam! So often I find folks spouting "Nobody worries about Christians getting upset", which basically tells me that they apparently forgot (never knew?) that their own religion teaches its followers not to get upset.

Maybe I'm older than a lot of folks here, but I distinctly remember at least two major occasions where folks received out-and-out death threats for making art that purposefully invoked Christian imagery. Sinead O'Connor ripping up the Pope's picture on Saturday Night Live back in 1992 (when people still watched live TV), and photographer Andres Serrano exhibiting his series on the crass commercialization of Christian iconography, best represented by his piece, Piss Christ.

In O'Connor's case, she was effectively blacklisted in the industry for several years, besides the folks threatening violence. IIRC, she wasn't even allowed in Italy for quite some time, and she got a lot of hate in her homeland, Ireland, as well. In Serrano's case, people actually were violent, tried to remove/mutilate prints of his photos on exhibit, and some folks (incl politicians) tried to override/remove the National Endowment of the Arts' "no-censorship" policy when it came to making grant decisions.

But that's "capital-A" Art. For more common fare, nearly every major Hollywood movie these days gets a "Christian theatrical cut", where they dial down/take out the sexual(ity), drug, "undesirable" religious/political/social references, etc. It's done to make the film more marketable/palatable to audiences that don't want that content, but still want pop culture. I used to run a 16/35mm movie group in college - we had to be careful not to get those versions when we rented films.

Freedom of religion is kind of a uniquely American construct. You can't even call it "Western" - France, Germany, Spain & the UK have no such laws, and in some cases are pretty repressive. But however secular and irreverent our pop culture, the fact remains that people in the States are no more "cool" with sacrilege than any other nation or culture (or spectrum of cultures, which is a more accurate description of the various Islamic peoples).

The Japanese composer & production committee here were basically told that they were inadvertently stabbing people in the ear with their BGM. They did the right thing according to *human decency* principles and stopped. It's not about being "politically correct", "catering to Muslims", "succumbing to fear", or any of that other holier-than-thou malarkey some commenters here were spouting.

---------

If you really like the sample (and it is pretty cool-sounding) - hey, you just discovered a new musical interest in arabic vocalization. Conveniently somebody earlier in the thread put a name to it, so we can all google away - Anasheed.[/url][/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10