• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Online Streaming Doing in Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I find it really ironic that countries that want to push, push, push digital streaming are the ones who live in bigass homes with plenty of room space to keep physical media. Especially the US which has the most inconsistent internet connection across the world. If y'all want to advocate for all digital, then you better push for excellent internet coast to coast

That's easier said than done, unfortunately. You'll have to convince each ISP, one by one, to free up the lines they built to allow their competitors to use them, which is no easy task (and may not even be possible without legislation from higher up--and that's going to be lobbied to smithereens).
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
I find it really ironic that countries that want to push, push, push digital streaming are the ones who live in bigass homes with plenty of room space to keep physical media. Especially the US which has the most inconsistent internet connection across the world. If y'all want to advocate for all digital, then you better push for excellent internet coast to coast

That's easier said than done, unfortunately. You'll have to convince each ISP, one by one, to free up the lines they built to allow their competitors to use them, which is no easy task (and may not even be possible without legislation from higher up--and that's going to be lobbied to smithereens).

Yeah, the ISP's in the US are basically free to do whatever they want (thanks, Time Warner.) because they just can. The Federal government could potentially force them to play along with each other, but the political clout these corporations hold is massive.

Seeing as this is the current business climate in the US, I still stand by my position of defending the relevancy of physical media formats.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
An English language article about online streaming and the "3-million subscriber limit" in Japan:

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002602314
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2