• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Previews PS2 Emulation for PS4 in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

And if you're asking why not play it on the ps2, well I listed the reason why it is becoming inconvenient.

And whose fault is that?

And not to sound cold or callous

But why should I feel sympathetic over it?

Ambimunch wrote:
You completely missed the point.

If the point is to complain about video game publisher's not letting you play your old video game collection on newer hardware even in spite of having an alternative (and more viable means) to play them then I really didn't.

Ambimunch wrote:

People say to go play the old games on the old ps2 and how that is convenient, and I said that after a while the consoles pile up and it becomes inconvenient.

And which is why I said if you're running out of space to store your old video games consoles and hate the idea of sorting through them from time to time to play one or two games on them common sense would dictate you sell or get rid up them to remove said inconvenience instead of doing nothing but complaining.

Ambimunch wrote:
Who said I want a digital game collection?

Not me when I mentioned that I was speaking in general not just about you in particular since I know they're are people who don't turn their noses up at digital content.

Ambimunch wrote:

And no, it is not weird to want the ps4 to play ps2 games.

Which I never said either, I said it's naive to expect your old games to always be made accessible on newer tech.

Ambimunch wrote:
Point is, why pay for a game that you own to play it.

And as I asked originally and as you've yet to properly answer why complain about not being able to play your PS2 games on your PS4 when you already have a PS2 and can easily do that with no "legitimate" issue.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

And if you're asking why not play it on the ps2, well I listed the reason why it is becoming inconvenient.

And whose fault is that?

Now we're getting into new territory. Let me ask you something:

Why do current smart phones have so many functions? Instead we should carry a separate phone, iPod, compass, laptop, notebook for notes, phone contact list, and camera with us every time we go somewhere.

To answer that question, it's because of convenience. New and better technology comes out every year, and it makes performing tasks we have done in the past more convenient and more effective. Successful businesses are the ones who capture those two things.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
You completely missed the point.

If the point is to complain about video game publisher's not letting you play your old video game collection on newer hardware even in spite of having an alternative (and more viable means) to play them then I really didn't.

The new alternative is flawed in every aspect. And even if we ignore the fact that we have to pay again, for the sake of the argument, I can list 100 games right now that I guarantee will never be available through their "more viable means". My point, this alternative is broken and unpractical.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

People say to go play the old games on the old ps2 and how that is convenient, and I said that after a while the consoles pile up and it becomes inconvenient.

And which is why I said if you're running out of space to store your old video games consoles and hate the idea of sorting through them from time to time to play one or two games on them common sense would dictate you sell or get rid up them to remove said inconvenience instead of doing nothing but complaining.

See the post above how convenience sells. If everyone thought like you, the xbox one would not be backwards compatible with 360 - because everyone would be expected to keep their old boxes.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Point is, why pay for a game that you own to play it.

And as I asked originally and as you've yet to properly answer why complain about not being able to play your PS2 games on your PS4 when you already have a PS2 and can easily do that with no "legitimate" issue.

The issue is convenience, mentioned it multiple times now. I am not the only one saying this, there are millions of others saying the same thing. A company must consider that, because brand loyalty is fading in general, people switch to the products that satisfy their needs.

And I don't want to be mean, but there is a difference between having an opinion, criticisms, and complaining. In this case, I am criticizing Sony for doing a poor job in listening to their customers and a poor job in rivaling what a competitor has to offer. I suppose there is a bit of complaining from me, but you can also see it as my opinion, and I have every right to express it.

And if you don't understand why I have an opinion on something.. then you must be new to the Internet.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Why do current smart phones have so many functions?

My personal belief is because tech companies want people to be overly reliant on tech that isn't always as good or convenient as it should be. To say nothing of making people increasingly inattentive and irresponsible thanks to said reliance on said tech.

Ambimunch wrote:

The new alternative is flawed in every aspect. And even if we ignore the fact that we have to pay again, for the sake of the argument, I can list 100 games right now that I guarantee will never be available through their "more viable means".

By more "viable means" I was referring to popping the discs whatever they may be into your PS2.

Ambimunch wrote:

because everyone would be expected to keep their old boxes.

Most people typically do that anyway though due to many of them not being ready to upgrade to the newer systems for a verity of different reasons (or in the One's case) avoiding it because of an absurd price point, built in kinect, and a lot of bad press.

Ambimunch wrote:

The issue is convenience, mentioned it multiple times now. I am not the only one saying this, there are millions of others saying the same thing.

Might want to cite those numbers before casually throwing them out there as if those "alleged" millions speak for the majority who I'm pretty sure don't care one way or the other about this news.

Ambimunch wrote:

A company must consider that, because brand loyalty is fading in general, people switch to the products that satisfy their needs.

I'm pretty sure anyone buying a One now isn't buying it specifically because of it's ability to run Xbox 360 game off the discs. So Sony has nothing to worry about in this regard.

Ambimunch wrote:
In this case, I am criticizing Sony for doing a poor job in listening to their customers

Who're in a minority, outraged at Sony's decision to not include an unnecessary and non mandatory feature.

Ambimunch wrote:
and a poor job in rivaling what a competitor has to offer.

Eventhough they're currently outselling their competitor at a strong pace and on top of the fact that few people are buying their competitors system for that reason.

Ambimunch wrote:

I suppose there is a bit of complaining from me, but you can also see it as my opinion, and I have every right to express it.

Oh certainly but I also have the right to question and disagree with certain aspects of the given opinion.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
No backwards compatibility; Sony sucks. I've hated Sony since 2012 when I purchased a Sony tablet to play PSone games on it and it turned out that they only had like three crappy games to download. I could've gotten a much better tablet instead. Since then so much has happened with Sony and somehow they still refuse to get their act together.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
No backwards compatibility; Sony sucks. I've hated Sony since 2012 when I purchased a Sony tablet to play PSone games on it and it turned out that they only had like three crappy games to download. I could've gotten a much better tablet instead. Since then so much has happened with Sony and somehow they still refuse to get their act together.

Seriously?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Might want to cite those numbers before casually throwing them out there as if those "alleged" millions speak for the majority who I'm pretty sure don't care one way or the other about this news.

I'm pretty sure anyone buying a One now isn't buying it specifically because of it's ability to run Xbox 360 game off the discs. So Sony has nothing to worry about in this regard.

Who're in a minority, outraged at Sony's decision to not include an unnecessary and non mandatory feature.

Eventhough they're currently outselling their competitor at a strong pace and on top of the fact that few people are buying their competitors system for that reason.

I can't cite those numbers because Sony is avoiding making a survey to actually see the demand for PS2 backwards compatibility, but every game website I visit, and I visit at least 12 of them, has the majority of the comment section complaining about to PS2 or PS3 backwards support.

I am pretty sure there are enough people who don't care about the PS4/ONE, and get the ONE because it offers more features, like the 360 support.

I am not outraged, that is your misguided opinion that you are forcing on me, I am complaining about Sony not trying to best their competitor. Can you cite the numbers proving I am the minority?

Outselling a competitor means nothing, one wrong move and they will lose that lead. Getting arrogant because you are outselling another company leads to failure - they must always strive to keep the lead, and the PS4 is missing quite a few features:

You can't store movies and pictures on it, you can't play any previous generation games, the main menu interface is a mess, most games are last gen ports, and so on. They have lots of work to do, and getting cocky now because they are outselling the ONE will be their demise if they don't step it up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

I can't cite those numbers because Sony is avoiding making a survey to actually see the demand for PS2 backwards compatibility,

Because those people as I mentioned those people are in a minority that is of not much concern to them.

Ambimunch wrote:

but every game website I visit, and I visit at least 12 of them, has the majority of the comment section complaining about to PS2 or PS3 backwards support.

And?

I could go to anyone of those sites and see people complaining about an infinite number of video game related things most of which is without merit much like the complaints or rather criticism of Sony because they won't let you play your PS2 games by popping the discs into the system eventhough you could just play them on your PS2.

Ambimunch wrote:

I am pretty sure there are enough people who don't care about the PS4/ONE,

You mean other than the casual crowd that don't play video games,the PC Master Race shills, and the people who I mentioned don't immediately upgrade their systems due to a number of factors one of which is feeling the upgrade isn't currently necessary?

Ambimunch wrote:
and get the ONE because it offers more features, like the 360 support.

Yeah and like I said before you should actually cite facts and numbers before throwing out assumptions to poorly reinforce your argument. People don't buy video game systems because of arbitrary features like Netflix, Hulu, facebook and the ability to play last gen video games they buy them to play current gen software solo or with other people like they've been doing since the days of the Super Nintendo.

Ambimunch wrote:
I am not outraged

Ambimunch wrote:
Stupid, leaving out so many fans of other titles.
Nahh you can swear, this is fvcking stupid on Sony's part.

Gee that looks and sounds like outrage to me. Petty and excessive outrage, but outrage nonetheless.

Ambimunch wrote:
I am complaining about Sony not trying to best their competitor.

Which they can only do by including a (variation) of a rather meaningless and unimportant feature few people care about and in spite of the reiterated fact that they've sold over 30 million PS4's to the One's estimated 15 million?

Ambimunch wrote:

Can you cite the numbers proving I am the minority?
The above statement concerning the PS4's numbers in spite of lacking the ability to play PS2 and PS3 games compared to the One's numbers in spite of the system having backwards compatibility.

Ambimunch wrote:

Outselling a competitor means nothing,

Gee I don't remember anyone saying this back when the PS2 was outselling the gamecube and xbox. Nor when the Wii was outselling the PS3 and 360. Also outselling your competitor does mean something as it shows more people are preferable to your brand or your product and therefore are more willing to put money into your coffers. Don't know where you got that bit of logic from.

Ambimunch wrote:

one wrong move and they will lose that lead.

The Wii made a number of wrong moves from being a system whose games looked like PS2 era games, Mandatory wiimote for most of it's games, and scaring away a lot of major publishers.

Never ceded it's lead at all. Let's not even talk about the 3DS and it's issues.

Ambimunch wrote:

Getting arrogant because you are outselling another company leads to failure

Not in the video game industry at least not in the way you erroneously seem to believe.

Ambimunch wrote:
You can't store movies

Not important especially with DVD and Bluray still kicking around and Netflix being an actual thing.

Ambimunch wrote:
and pictures on it,

Not even the one's the system automatically takes when it saves games or whenever you acquire a trophy?

Ambimunch wrote:
you can't play any previous generation games

Not important unless you're one of those people who abhors the idea of playing last gen games on last gen tech already in your possession......ooops.

Ambimunch wrote:

the main menu interface is a mess,

Ironic since most of complaints I've seen about the UI is it's simplicity.

Ambimunch wrote:

most games are last gen ports, and so on.

Guess you really must of hated all the last gen ports that were on the Xbox 360,Wii, & The PS3.

Ambimunch wrote:

They have lots of work to do,

Appeasing difficult to please people like you it seems.

Ambimunch wrote:

and getting cocky now because they are outselling the ONE will be their demise if they don't step it up.

No it won't.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

I can't cite those numbers because Sony is avoiding making a survey to actually see the demand for PS2 backwards compatibility,

Because those people as I mentioned those people are in a minority that is of not much concern to them.

Give me a link where it shows statistically that people who own a PS4 and wouldn't mind/ would like ps2 backwards support are the minority.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
and get the ONE because it offers more features, like the 360 support.

Yeah and like I said before you should actually cite facts and numbers before throwing out assumptions to poorly reinforce your argument. People don't buy video game systems because of arbitrary features like Netflix, Hulu, facebook and the ability to play last gen video games they buy them to play current gen software solo or with other people like they've been doing since the days of the Super Nintendo.

Can you cite me a link where it says people do not look at system features and gimmicks when making a purchasing decision?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
I am not outraged

Ambimunch wrote:
Stupid, leaving out so many fans of other titles.
Nahh you can swear, this is fvcking stupid on Sony's part.

Gee that looks and sounds like outrage to me. Petty and excessive outrage, but outrage nonetheless.

Poor journalism right there. My response that you cited was to a person who was questing his persimmon to complain, and I responded that he can complain because this is indeed a pathetic decision on Sony's part. Cite things that maintain the context. And yeah, sarcasm is also a thing lol. And I stand by what I said, it's fvcking stupid, and I already mentioned why lol. This is not outrage, do you want me to link you to the definition of outrage from a dictionary?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
I am complaining about Sony not trying to best their competitor.

Which they can only do by including a (variation) of a rather meaningless and unimportant feature few people care about and in spite of the reiterated fact that they've sold over 30 million PS4's to the One's estimated 15 million?

You're bias again.... Prove that this feature is unimportant.... Prove that few people care about it. So far I only see your opinion that you don't want it. Guess what, you're not the only person in the world.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Can you cite the numbers proving I am the minority?
The above statement concerning the PS4's numbers in spite of lacking the ability to play PS2 and PS3 games compared to the One's numbers in spite of the system having backwards compatibility.

Wrong. People bought the system, like me, and now I am saying that me and others want ps2 support. Sales have nothing to do with this, I need concrete proof from all owners that the majority of us don't want this feature as you say.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

one wrong move and they will lose that lead.

The Wii made a number of wrong moves from being a system whose games looked like PS2 era games, Mandatory wiimote for most of it's games, and scaring away a lot of major publishers.

Never ceded it's lead at all. Let's not even talk about the 3DS and it's issues.

If you want to start bringing other brands into this, I can start citing you with hundreds of other brands that messed up despite having a lead and falling behind. As for your example, it is irrelevant to this discussion because the Wii was unique. It was a stand alone product than the ps3/360, completely different, weaker, and didn't have 80% of games those two had. It was marketed differently too. The ps3/360 were at each others throats from the beginning, they're pretty much identical, as the ps4/ONE is. They don't care about the Wii U because it is not of the same class, the people who want a particular powerful game console are debating between the PS4/ONE - because they are of the same class.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Getting arrogant because you are outselling another company leads to failure

Not in the video game industry at least not in the way you erroneously seem to believe.

Last gen Capcom and Square Enix? Two powerful companies that were extremely successful in prior gens and got full of themselves last gen to a point of near bankruptcy, now apologizing that they didn't listen to fans... I think it is very applicable to the video game industry. Or how the ONE was originally a crap box and then they suddenly switched their tune when everyone said they wouldn't buy it? Microsoft got arrogant with the ONE because the 360 outsold the ps3 ...and how did that work out for them? Can you answer that? Well now that Sony is ahead, they can easily get full of themselves and stop listening to fans (on various subject matters) and mess up just like Microsoft did.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
You can't store movies

Not important especially with DVD and Bluray still kicking around and Netflix being an actual thing.

You think it's not important, but have you read the comments on every PSN patch? People want this feature, I repeat, you are not the only human on this world. For example, I don't use netflix and never will, and would much prefer them have that storing ability. Why am I saying this? To prove not everyone thinks like you.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
you can't play any previous generation games

Not important unless you're one of those people who abhors the idea of playing last gen games on last gen tech already in your possession......ooops.

Ran out of things to say? Sometimes you look more intelligent when you don't say anything. ooops

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

They have lots of work to do,

Appeasing difficult to please people like you it seems.

The PS3 when it launched was very simple, nothing compared to the system it was at the end of the life cycle. And the PS4 will keep getting updated to improve it. Most people like updates to make things better, we're not all brainless sheep that are happy with what we are fed, the consumer is very educated these days, and they will point out flaws in products, especially in the electronics field.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

and getting cocky now because they are outselling the ONE will be their demise if they don't step it up.

No it won't.

It will if going by your logic. You want the PS4 to remain the same box that it launched, full of bugs and missed potentials. And that is why Sony keeps adding new features through patches. If they followed your logic and did not do anything since they had the lead then they would flop. You don't know the first thing about business. Or if you do, then your arguments are silly responses that lack any merit, stay on topic and have a mature discussion, don't try to change the subject or pick apart single words when you run out of things to say please.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Give me a link where it shows statistically that people who own a PS4 and wouldn't mind/ would like ps2 backwards support are the minority.

And give me a link that states the overwhelming majority of current PS4 owners strongly disapprove of Sony not adding in the ability to let PS2 disc owners use their already purchased discs on the PS4 to play their PS2 games. Enough to make Sony should regret not adding in the feature altogether.

Ambimunch wrote:

Can you cite me a link where it says people do not look at system features and gimmicks when making a purchasing decision?

To take a page out of your book look at your smartphone did you buy (or upgrade it) because you needed a way to interact with your friends or family or did you buy it because you couldn't get enough of Candy Crush Soda or watching Daredevil on Netflix for the 100th time. Basically are you going to buy a device for it's primary (integral) functions or some secondary (unimportant) features.

Ambimunch wrote:

Poor journalism right there.

No more poor than you labeling me a journalist for using your own quotes to remind you mentioning you feeling a certain type of way in spite of you claiming not to be doing so (and stating it in the same exact tone after the fact).

Ambimunch wrote:
Cite things that maintain the context.

I will when you own up to doing something that you went and did oh wait I already did, ball's in your court then.

Ambimunch wrote:
And yeah, sarcasm is also a thing lol.

So are bad analogy's and willful ignorance.

Ambimunch wrote:

And I stand by what I said, it's fvcking stupid, and I already mentioned why lol.

Yes I believe in turn I mentioned why it was excessive,petty, and comes off making you look entitled,whiny, and lazy on top of that.

Ambimunch wrote:

This is not outrage, do you want me to link you to the definition of outrage from a dictionary?

Humor me and if you're not too busy tell me the definition of "poor journalism" while you're at it.

Ambimunch wrote:

You're bias again....

Yeah because the PS4 has not sold 30 Million units as of this writing whereas no one knows the exact estimates of the One. This assertion clearly reeks of bias and not a simple stating of facts.

Ambimunch wrote:
So far I only see your opinion that you don't want it.

That's pretty much the same way I see your ridiculous and silly notion that Sony not including this feature is a major step backwards that's going to hurt them in the long run which is pure conjecture on your part to say nothing of being hypocritical.

Ambimunch wrote:

Wrong. People bought the system, like me,

Yes and?

Ambimunch wrote:

and now I am saying that me and others want ps2 support.

Is that so?

Ambimunch wrote:

Sales have nothing to do with this,

Gee I sure hope you never get a position in a competition based business market with that mentality. They'd not only fire you they'd laugh at you up until the elevator doors close in your face.

Ambimunch wrote:

I need concrete proof from all owners that the majority of us don't want this feature as you say.

Much like we're going to need proof from you that these same people see this feature as a necessity that the system absolutely needs to continue outselling the One and WiiU.

Ambimunch wrote:
As for your example, it is irrelevant to this discussion

You mean it's irrelevant to you because it doesn't fit in with your weird and bizarre rationalizations.

Ambimunch wrote:
because the Wii was unique.

Yeah uniquely subpar in comparison to it's competitors.

Ambimunch wrote:
The ps3/360 were at each others throats from the beginning,

Disbarring the fact the Wii and 360 were stomping the PS3 into a nice fine paste from the outset largely due to both systems being cheaper and in the 360's case having a somewhat larger library.

Ambimunch wrote:
They don't care about the Wii U because it is not of the same class,

Actually no cares about the WiiU because like the Wii it's a last gen system with a target audience Nintendo can't seem to properly define unlike the Wii.

Ambimunch wrote:

the people who want a particular powerful game console are debating between the PS4/ONE - because they are of the same class.

Minus the fact that the people slept on the One due to a lot of bad press that dogged the system up until it's launch.

Ambimunch wrote:

Last gen Capcom and Square Enix?

Two video game publishers that make and publish video games instead of making video game consoles......irrelevancy much?

Ambimunch wrote:

now apologizing that they didn't listen to fans...

Not so much not listening to fans (which companies should never do too much of anyway) so much as making risky and disastrous business decisions. Whether it's throwing a lot of time and money into an MMORPG and releasing in an shoddy state or letting a studio headed by some of your best developers make 3 distinctly japanese games that no one including Japanese audiences buy.

Ambimunch wrote:
Microsoft got arrogant with the ONE because the 360 outsold the ps3

No they simply figured much like Sony with the PS3 that if they put a bunch of tech into their newer system (with caveats) that no one would turn their noses up at it.....a mentality not unlike whenever Microsoft releases an update OS for Windows

Ambimunch wrote:
...and how did that work out for them?
If the sales estimates of the system are true that would place in a somewhat better position than the PS3 was three years after it launched compared to the one's two.

Ambimunch wrote:

Well now that Sony is ahead, they can easily get full of themselves and stop listening to fans (on various subject matters) and mess up just like Microsoft did.

Which as I mentioned is pure conjecture on your part.

Ambimunch wrote:

You think it's not important, but have you read the comments on every PSN patch?

Did you read the part where I mentioned you can still watch dvds and blu-rays and use Netflix like most PSN and XBL users already do?

Ambimunch wrote:

People want this feature, I repeat, you are not the only human on this world.

Much like much of your reasoning and opinions aren't facts?

Ambimunch wrote:
For example, I don't use netflix and never will, and would much prefer them have that storing ability. Why am I saying this? To prove not everyone thinks like you.

Funny because your proving as well that you're in a minority at the same time. Much like the "Physical Forever, Digital Never Crowd".

Ambimunch wrote:

Ran out of things to say? Sometimes you look more intelligent when you don't say anything. ooops

Says the guy too lazy to pull his Playstation 2 out of whatever storing spot it's in to play his cherished PS2 games "because it's too inconvenient for me".

Ambimunch wrote:

The PS3 when it launched was very simple,

So simple many developers complained about how difficult the system was to develop games for?

Ambimunch wrote:
the consumer is very educated these days,

Educated to know the difference between the Wii U and Wii without having to be told exactly what the difference is between both systems?

Ambimunch wrote:
You want the PS4 to remain the same box that it launched, full of bugs and missed potentials.

Funny because I could've sworn I went on record with mentioning how unnecessary the ability to play PS2 games off discs was and how ironic it is for certain people to be up and arms about the feature's exclusion from the system. Someone's obviously putting words in other's mouths to attempt to give his conjecture weight.

Ambimunch wrote:
You don't know the first thing about business

Says the guy who believes that company's outselling their competitors isn't a big deal for reasons that make no sense.

Ambimunch wrote:

Or if you do, then your arguments are silly responses that lack any merit, stay on topic and have a mature discussion, don't try to change the subject or pick apart single words when you run out of things to say please.

I haven't run of things to say but I wonder if you've run out of things to arbitrarily complain about while using rather ironic and superfluous analogies and rationalizations in the process.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
To take a page out of your book look at your smartphone did you buy (or upgrade it) because you needed a way to interact with your friends or family or did you buy it because you couldn't get enough of Candy Crush Soda or watching Daredevil on Netflix for the 100th time. Basically are you going to buy a device for it's primary (integral) functions or some secondary (unimportant) features.

There are many phones out there, and all of them can call. Just like there are enough consoles out there, and all can play games. It's the extras play a big role in deciding which one to buy. I switched to an iPhone from a blackberry because it had more features aside from being a phone, so yeah, I get the device with the best gimmicks. So the page "out of my book" has merit in my case. Your point again? Oh wait, you don't know what you're arguing here. But that's okay, I am amused by your incompetence, carry on

BadNewsBlues wrote:

No more poor than you labeling me a journalist for using your own quotes to remind you mentioning you feeling a certain type of way in spite of you claiming not to be doing so (and stating it in the same exact tone after the fact).

I don't know what you felt from reading my comment, and frankly I don't care at all. I typed it with a smile on my face, so whatever your impression was is frankly your problem.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

I will when you own up to doing something that you went and did oh wait I already did, ball's in your court then.

What did I do here, enlighten me? Have an opinion? Deal with it

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Yes I believe in turn I mentioned why it was excessive,petty, and comes off making you look entitled,whiny, and lazy on top of that.

See that empty field of shits I don't give? I don't care what you see me as buddy

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Gee I sure hope you never get a position in a competition based business market with that mentality. They'd not only fire you they'd laugh at you up until the elevator doors close in your face.

So far you keep throwing the words "competition" and "business" around quite frequently, yet you don't know how either works do you? Let's see what you wrote next

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not so much not listening to fans (which companies should never do too much of anyway)

Waw, aren't you the brightest crayon in the box

BadNewsBlues wrote:

You mean it's irrelevant to you because it doesn't fit in with your weird and bizarre rationalizations.

No it means your examples are asinine. The argument is simple:

1)Me and others would like backwards compatibility because the ONE can do it.

Now a wild kid has appeared, that's you, who has a grudge against me for having an opinion.

So I present more arguments:

1.5) It is healthy to be competitive in this market and help each other progress through competition.

2) Backwards compatibility is a feature that nobody really objects (except you). Normally people are all for getting new features and keeping old masterpieces alive, to preserve games (except you). IGN's news story that had the most traffic in 2015 was the 360 backwards compatibility, so there, more proof that people care.

3) Companies should listen to fans, and collect input. But according to you that is not a good approach to business. Because you know, hearing the desires of your consumer makes no sense... according to you.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Two video game publishers that make and publish video games instead of making video game consoles......irrelevancy much?

Not really, you specifically said companies that do well in the video game industry never fail and can do what they want, so I pointed out the times when companies thought so and got burned. It's not as irrelevant as you comparing the PS3 to the Wii. That's like comparing an SUV to a Smart Car, two completely different classes of product. Much like the PS3 and the Wii (different specs, games, target audience and so on)

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Not so much not listening to fans (which companies should never do too much of anyway)

spoiler[http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b569/Ambimunch/the%20fuq_zpsociyxejf.jpg]

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Did you read the part where I mentioned you can still watch dvds and blu-rays and use Netflix like most PSN and XBL users already do?

Did you read the part where I said not everyone uses those features and that taking away features a previous console had makes no sense. Also, no wifi = no movies from your precious netflix. You could store videos on the PS3, now you can't on the PS4, and you're sitting here saying "ohh that's fine, in fact it's smart, removing basic features"...

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Much like much of your reasoning and opinions aren't facts?

They aren't!!! That's the point, I have my opinion, an opinion is an opinion, and you have a problem with me because of it. There is nothing you can do to change it!

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Funny because your proving as well that you're in a minority at the same time. Much like the "Physical Forever, Digital Never Crowd".

Preferences? Ever hear of those? And FYI, most game sales are from physical copies, not digital, the digital are the minority. It's fun seeing you contradict yourself.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Says the guy too lazy to pull his Playstation 2 out of whatever storing spot it's in to play his cherished PS2 games "because it's too inconvenient for me".

Are you an idiot? I said I want PS2 support, that's it. Then you attack me, and I say one of the reasons is because convenience. You asked, I answered. What are you even trying to argue here, my quote and your response are unrelated, did you pass middle-school English?

BadNewsBlues wrote:

So simple many developers complained about how difficult the system was to develop games for?

Sigh, you're slow. Simple referred to features, that were later patched in with new updates, not the system's guts.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Says the guy who believes that company's outselling their competitors isn't a big deal for reasons that make no sense.

Go re read them until they make sense, you have a lifetime to understand what was argued there. Outselling leads to cockiness, which leads to behavior akin to Microsoft's with the ONE (originally). Now that Sony is outselling, according to your reasoning they should get cocky and not do shit or listen to fans. Doing that might end up leading to the same outcome as with the ONE when it launched (people hated it). Moral of the story? Sony should continue to try hard and actively seek ways to improve the PS4 even when they're in the lead.

And yes, having greater NI, generating more Cash Flows, and Increasing Equity are good for financial reporting purposes -- but does not guarantee indefinite success. In primitive terms, just for you, if Sony generated good profit it does not mean that they suddenly have a perpetuity, they need to continue bettering themselves to continue generating profit.

So outselling competitor is good (unless their liabilities and debt are much greater, which could yield less profit than a competitor that sold less), and shareholders are happy. But to continue making them happy, Sony needs to continue improving their business -- so new ideas and improvements to existing products are necessary. And adding more features to the PS4 is in fact improving their primary product.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
]
I haven't run of things to say but I wonder if you've run out of things to arbitrarily complain about while using rather ironic and superfluous analogies and rationalizations in the process.

I only had one thing to say, and I'll say it again to piss you off:

I would like to see Sony add PS2 backwards compatibility, and there are other people who would like that too.

That's my opinion, and there are others (even in this forum, go read for once), and I don't care what you think of my opinion or if you agree.

However, as long as you keep saying that my opinion is incorrect (which isn't even possible since opinions are purely subjective) and insulting me for having an opinion, I will keep coming back. If you have an opinion, whatever, I am not taking it away from you. I am simply defending mine, so you might as well accept the fact that my opinion differs from yours and move on, because you wont change it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
First, some folks REALLY need to learn how to respond to comments in a manner that doesn't expand the post forever. Is it really necessary to parse every phrase within every sentence?

Now, as to the topic at hand: I'd like Sony to provide the following:

* If you have a PS 2 disk, you insert it into the PS 4, the console verifies it is an authentic PS 2 game disk of Game X. The PS 4 then downloads and installs the PS 4 version of the game, free of charge. Bam! You're on your way. Happy gaming.

* If you *do not* have a PS 2 disk but would like to play a PS 2 game, you go purchase the game for $5 off of PSN. Then you download and install it. Bam! You're on your way. Happy gaming.

If someone has already purchased the game, and they still have the disks, then Sony should do them a solid and give the game to them for free on the PS 4. Yes, they'd lose some money, but they'd gain a lot of goodwill, which while intangible, is still useful.

I think $15/game is too much for an old PS 2 game. I think $10 is probably too much. $5/game is probably where I'd be willing to pick up multiple PS 2 games. I don't know where Sony's break-even point is, but I'd be shocked if it was anything close to $15/game. Also, I think they're limiting their sales by asking that much for games that old -- nostaligia won't cover that, especially if you're talking purchasing multiple games (which Sony should be aiming at). If it stays at $15/game, I might get one or two PS 2 games, but I doubt I'd go much beyond that, but at $5/game, I'd certainly feel more comfortable buying several games if they piqued my fancy.

As it is, this whole "backwards compatibility" thing (yes, I know it's not true backwards compatibility) is of very limited interest to me, mainly because I'm reluctant to spend that much money on old games; it comes across more as a money-grab fueled by generating nostalgia in gamers, which doesn't endear Sony to me at all.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Now, as to the topic at hand: I'd like Sony to provide the following:

* If you have a PS 2 disk, you insert it into the PS 4, the console verifies it is an authentic PS 2 game disk of Game X. The PS 4 then downloads and installs the PS 4 version of the game, free of charge. Bam! You're on your way. Happy gaming.

Or let them stream the game for free as long as the disc is in the machine. (This includes PS1 and PS3 games.)

I don't see what's so hard about either solution.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

If someone has already purchased the game, and they still have the disks, then Sony should do them a solid and give the game to them for free on the PS 4. Yes, they'd lose some money, but they'd gain a lot of goodwill, which while intangible, is still useful.

I'd don't think they'd have a problem with that compared to the Atlus's, Sega's, EA's, Capcom's, & the Square Enix's of the world that might feel some type of way about their games being offered for free or next to nothing.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I'd don't think they'd have a problem with that compared to the Atlus's, Sega's, EA's, Capcom's, & the Square Enix's of the world that might feel some type of way about their games being offered for free or next to nothing.

They were okay with it in the PS2 era and in the initial PS3 era? They worked with Sony to fix problems that were occurring with certain PS2 software on the PS3 before Sony itself decided to rip that backwards compatibility out of subsequent PS3 models.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:

They were okay with it in the PS2 era and in the initial PS3 era? They worked with Sony to fix problems that were occurring with certain PS2 software on the PS3 before Sony itself decided to rip that backwards compatibility out of subsequent PS3 models.

There's a difference though between Sony working with publisher's to make their games physically playable on next gen tech since the publisher's are able to still make a profit on the sales of the games still being manufactured and sold.

Than Sony along with many publisher's deciding to offer digital versions of their back catalog of games for free with little or no profit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4