• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Previews PS2 Emulation for PS4 in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
noigeL wrote:

They were okay with it in the PS2 era and in the initial PS3 era? They worked with Sony to fix problems that were occurring with certain PS2 software on the PS3 before Sony itself decided to rip that backwards compatibility out of subsequent PS3 models.

There's a difference though between Sony working with publisher's to make their games physically playable on next gen tech since the publisher's are able to still make a profit on the sales of the games still being manufactured and sold.

Than Sony along with many publisher's deciding to offer digital versions of their back catalog of games for free with little or no profit.

They already made a profit, back when I and many others paid them money for the game. Those who missed out on the titles back in the day can buy them now and the companies still make a profit, while those of us who already bought the game don't need to buy it again to play it on our current gen console. Everyone wins.

Look, I understand gamers can be awfully entitled and expect to get everything handed to them on a silver platter for next to nothing, but I don't believe asking Sony for backwards compatibility, something they used to offer, is out of line in the least.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:

Look, I understand gamers can be awfully entitled and expect to get everything handed to them on a silver platter for next to nothing, but I don't believe asking Sony for backwards compatibility, something they used to offer, is out of line in the least.

I don't think it is either, it's the expectation though that publisher themselves are going to basically go along with it with no issue. This all starts and ends with them and as it's stands they have little to no reason to play ball especially with money being involved.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

If someone has already purchased the game, and they still have the disks, then Sony should do them a solid and give the game to them for free on the PS 4. Yes, they'd lose some money, but they'd gain a lot of goodwill, which while intangible, is still useful.

I'd don't think they'd have a problem with that compared to the Atlus's, Sega's, EA's, Capcom's, & the Square Enix's of the world that might feel some type of way about their games being offered for free or next to nothing.

Some of them are already onboard the free XB1 backwards compatibility list:

• Burnout Paradise --- Electronic Arts
    Condemned: Criminal Origins --- Sega
    Crazy Taxi --- Sega
    Dungeon Siege III --- Square Enix
    Golden Axe --- Sega
    Just Cause 2 --- Square Enix
    Mirror's Edge --- Electronic Arts
    NBA Jam: On Fire Edition --- Electronic Arts
    NiGHTS into Dreams... --- Sega
    Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co. --- Sega
    Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe --- Sega
    Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World --- Sega
    Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage --- Sega
    Skate 3 --- Electronic Arts
    Sonic the Hedgehog --- Sega
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 --- Sega
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 --- Sega
    Sonic CD --- Sega
    Supreme Commander 2 --- Square Enix

No reason they'd be against being free on the PS4 too.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
noigeL wrote:

I don't think it is either, it's the expectation though that publisher themselves are going to basically go along with it with no issue. This all starts and ends with them and as it's stands they have little to no reason to play ball especially with money being involved.

They seem to be going along with it for the XB1 so I'm not convinced there's a problem with it on their end. All signs point to Sony.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I'd don't think they'd have a problem with that compared to the Atlus's, Sega's, EA's, Capcom's, & the Square Enix's of the world that might feel some type of way about their games being offered for free or next to nothing.

Sony can negotiate with them, if that's what it takes. And if they refuse, Sony can point to those companies that refuse as the reason, and *still* gain some good PR out of it. "We tried to give you want you wanted, but these companies refused to get onboard." I think *some* of them would probably go for it, though, which might draw others just to avoid the PR hit.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Sony can negotiate with them, if that's what it takes. And if they refuse, Sony can point to those companies that refuse as the reason, and *still* gain some good PR out of it. "We tried to give you want you wanted, but these companies refused to get onboard." I think *some* of them would probably go for it, though, which might draw others just to avoid the PR hit.

It'd be crazy to see them pull that off though considering some of the feelings Sony seemingly hurt with the PS3.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
While they (presumably) would have to renegotiate with various companies to do it the way MS is (repackage individual games for download), Sony could just release a base emulator (either as a free update or paid download) for the system that runs straight from the disc.
Since there's no change for the software being played, they could (presumably) do it without needing to speak with any publishers.

As for compatibility issues mentioned in the thread, keep in mind that the Vita and PSTV both play PSP & PSOne games, but neither guarantee 100% compatibility. So there's plenty of precedent in that department.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

While they (presumably) would have to renegotiate with various companies to do it the way MS is (repackage individual games for download), Sony could just release a base emulator (either as a free update or paid download) for the system that runs straight from the disc.
Since there's no change for the software being played, they could (presumably) do it without needing to speak with any publishers.

No, Sony would still have to re-speak with the publishers. Microsoft runs into the same issue with their XB1 backwards compatibility:

• After the technological breakthrough that got backwards compatibility working, the next step was to figure out how to license all this content, originally released on Xbox 360, for Xbox One. As you can imagine, publishers have cut very specific deals on some of that content. For example Madden - you can imagine how many licenses go into a game with the players, the NFL, sponsors and so on.

Publishers are super engaged and responsive to that stuff, the response was overwhelming from fans. It's just that some of the content takes longer than others to organise

"Very specific deals" can mean if it's for the X360, it means specifically only for the X360, whether it's from the publishers or developers or licensors or players or actors/actresses, etc. So they have to get all their permissions again to play it on the XB1. Sony would need to do the same, just need their permissions.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So they have to get all their permissions again to play it on the XB1. Sony would need to do the same, just need their permissions.

One wonders why though why we still don't have games like Maximo Army Of Zin in the PS2 Classics section though but Europe has had it for awhile.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

So they have to get all their permissions again to play it on the XB1. Sony would need to do the same, just need their permissions.

One wonders why though why we still don't have games like Maximo Army Of Zin in the PS2 Classics section though but Europe has had it for awhile.

Yeah, that could mean too that they specifically allowed it only in Europe maybe.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

No, Sony would still have to re-speak with the publishers. Microsoft runs into the same issue with their XB1 backwards compatibility:

• After the technological breakthrough that got backwards compatibility working, the next step was to figure out how to license all this content, originally released on Xbox 360, for Xbox One.

"Very specific deals" can mean if it's for the X360, it means specifically only for the X360, whether it's from the publishers or developers or licensors or players or actors/actresses, etc. So they have to get all their permissions again to play it on the XB1. Sony would need to do the same, just need their permissions.

Sorry, but I believe you're missing the key point; the games are being re-released for XB1 (as mentioned in your quote). That is why they need to re-license the games. That's completely different then running the original software in an emulator.

What matters is what is being released and/or changed. The way MS is doing it, they are releasing (essentially) new software just using the discs as activation keys.

Think of it this way, a pc game can be used on any version of windows stops working on Win 10, so if you want to re-release a version specifically compatible with Win 10 (even without any other changes), it would still be considered a new game, but if a driver update makes the old game work again, you can still use your original copy.
The device playing the game is changing, not the game itself or it's distribution method.

For an even better example, the PS2 & PS3 can both run PS1 game discs without any trouble. I'm sure you'll agree that Sony didn't re-license every single game twice for both consoles.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

• After the technological breakthrough that got backwards compatibility working, the next step was to figure out how to license all this content, originally released on Xbox 360, for Xbox One.

Sorry, but I believe you're missing the key point; the games are being re-released for XB1 (as mentioned in your quote). That is why they need to re-license the games. That's completely different then running the original software in an emulator.

What matters is what is being released and/or changed. The way MS is doing it, they are releasing (essentially) new software just using the discs as activation keys.

XB1 is still running some sort of emulator: "Xbox One Backwards Compatible with Xbox 360, Will Play Natively with Full Functionality"

And here's another where the licensing issue has popped up:

• Additionally, the Xbox One unique features will work with the older games, as well. That means players will be able to take advantage of game broadcasting via the Twitch app, record gameplay through the GameDVR, and take screenshots.

While we were certainly delighted we could play our old Borderlands game on the Xbox One, it quickly came to light that the game’s backwards compatibility is limited. You can’t utilise all the Xbox One features when you play Borderlands it seems, with screenshots and gameplay capture inaccessible.

“This is expected. Unfortunately, recording/screenshots are turned off for Borderlands,” explained a Microsoft representative.

When pressed for more details, Microsoft said that this was down to a “licensing” issue.

So yeah, publishers still have control. Expect Sony to run into similar issues with its PS2 emulation - if a publisher doesn't want its game recorded, then Sony has to comply.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Again, MS is doing it differently. They're essentially turning the 360 games into X1 downloads. Of course they're being emulated, or it'd be a lot more work (ie all the 360/PS3 to X1/PS4 ports), but they are not simply playing off of a disc. That is why additional features work and that is why MS needs to work with publishers.

A basic emulator, that just plays PS2 games off of the disc and doesn't offer any PS4 features (like trophies or streaming) would not need the approval of publishers. Just like Nintendo doesn't need approval for their Wii U play Wii games or the Wii play GC games.

It's all about how it's being handled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4