• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake's 1st Gameplay Teaser Streamed in English, Japanese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Game's atmosphere looks good (except for the sunglasses WTF BARRETT ITS PITCH DARK), battle system look like crap. Crisis Core battle was not fun. Why rehash it? I hope they'll have a "classic" battle option (and not the terrible one from Dissidia).
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought Sakurai wouldn't reprise Cloud Strife. Oh bummer. I am ambivalent in buying now. Mad

But sweet, I just hope the limit breaks will still be the SAME!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Huh. The battle system actually seems like a plus in my eyes. It feels more modern, which is important if SE is trying to convince newer fans or folks who never played the original to pick it up.

Personally, I was never big on turn-based stuff; Pokemon is about the only exception. ^^;;;
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay rage boners for everyone!!! Whoooo!!!

Okay I have to admit that game designs look very nice. We finally have VA something folks were talking about when the first game came out.
I can't wait to see this game in action. I just hope that it will be on time. That's all I saw.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
SE havrnt realised that they have made some flops for FF franchise Lightning returns shouldn't have happened it wen away from the core essence of a final fantasy game everything is timed gotta do it this quick not letting you enjoy the experience.

the graphic boost on the footage is splendid no doubt but dont change the essence of what makes FF7 truly legendary. this to much like CC of DoC I love those but they great companion to the original series. My hopes for this reboot is fading quickly they have an itch to show the look this is new and that is new. They need to adapt the if it aint broke dont fix it.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Nomura isn't working on XV anymore so he put Versus XIII in FF VII.

Final Fantasy Vesus VII.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I find it hilarious that people here expected a turned based combat system for a game that's supposed to sell more than a million copies. Square can't sell 10 million copies with turn based combat.

The Persona games are super niche and do well in SPITE of their archaic combat.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
I get that Steve Burton is reprising his role as Cloud, but its still awkward to me that this installment is getting voice acting.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Animehermit wrote:
Square can't sell 10 million copies with turn based combat.

....You have a Pokemon avatar, y'know, a game series that has sold hundreds of millions worldwide with X and Y cracking ten million, making them the most recent generation to have done that due to the series also having several other generations that did that exact same thing.

As for SE in general, this is my counter point: Dragon Quest IX, which sold almost six million copies worldwide. You can in fact sell turn-based, it just requires you know what the heck you're doing. Which Square clearly doesn't.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
A turn based game doing well on a mobile platform? Shocked.

in 2015 on a console people expect more. They're right games have evolved since 1989.

I love turned based games as much as anybody, but to expect it from a AAA game made on a home console is nuts.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
If you are referring to the change in combat, gonna have to disagree, the era of ATB is something that is for handhelds or IOS, battles should POP and and look like ongoing fights especially when you have the gaming resources for it.

Agreed.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
KennstarYusuke wrote:
I have such low expectations for this game. Square Enix are still obsessed with trying to make the characters look like real people, when the beauty of the original designs was in their simplicity and their stylisation. Not to mention the fact that the battle system looks absolutely awful. ATB worked fine, but no. Nomura and Co have got to have something that plays itself now.

The right time to have done this remake would have been 10-15 years, in the PS2 era. There, technology would've been just right. Good enough to make the entire game look like those beautiful FMVs from the original, which is the kind of remake I would have wanted, but not so good that Square Enix could attempt to make everything and everyone look like real people. As it stands it's clear this remake is being made for the Advent Children 'fans' who've never actually played the original game because the graphics are 'bad'.

Really dude?? Its called a REMAKE for a reason...The past is the past..get over it. This generation of gamers doesn't like Turned Base combat anymore...Square Enix is not gonna cater to old school gamers like you. Just play the original one then since you are so disappointed! And really? make them look like real people?! Does other people have Cloud's spiky hair style except for when cosplayers use it?! Its called an upgrade!! The graphics are upgraded !!! Just look at when they announced the original to PS4..everyone was disappointed.. >_>
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
I heard they showed new footage but I couldn't watch it right away because I was working, that was all I thought about for half my shift "DAMN I'm a FAN" >flails<
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
*watches trailer* Oh lordy *checks pants* ah crud
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
Looks great! Jesse and Biggs takedown of the Shinra soldiers, Clouds cartwheel jump from the train, the four meeting at the gate to the reactor before they breach it, Cloud and Barrett being ambushed by the guard robot after they plant the bomb, Cloud getting pinned by the soldiers before he makes a jump onto the train, everything looks exactly right for a remake. I'm guessing the gameplay sequences of Cloud making his way through the rubble are after the bomb goes off, and the ones of him and Barrett out near the fountain are after they make it out of the reactor (which would be slightly different because AVALANCE ditches him directly after in the original and they don't meet again until the train car).

Hearing Wedge speak almost made me cry spoiler[knowing what happens to him later on.] Cannot wait to experience this story all over again.

Couldn't care less what kind of battle system it has. If I want ATB/turn based, I have numerous ways to play the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3