• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake's 1st Gameplay Teaser Streamed in English, Japanese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
The fact that Cloud looks neither badass nor emo but more like an addict who just crawled out from under a truck and doesn't quite know where he is gives me the hope they're going to treat the (back)story with care.

Barrets needs to lose those sunglasses, though. He doesn't need to be made cooler by his attire. He's pretty cool already.

As for the gameplay, I wouldn't mind not having to enter turn-based mode battling through mindless goons. But the weapons and such... Would be sad not having to come up with a plan.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
RIP in piece ATB turn base... I will miss ewe ever so dearly. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
I miss the days when Final Fantasy was an RPG series. I don't play a whole lot of action games, I prefer to strategize and plan my attacks. How do you even control your party if you're running around slashing at everything like that? Hopefully we get a video soon showing actual gameplay soon because my interest went from super high to "I'll watch a play through on YouTube" in one trailer. At least there are still other companies in Japan that know how to make real JRPGs and doesn't think everything needs to be an action game.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
This doesn't look terrible, but it's not that great either.

It looks like they tried to have Cloud continue with that jrock aesthetic he's had since Advent Children, but I think they took his litheness a bit too far and just wound up making him look weird, like he has muscular dystrophy or nutritional issues. The character movements also look awkward and janky, and Wedge looks like they had a hard time taking his original design and translating it into the Advent Children sort of look. TBH, I would have much preferred if they actually went with the original, more cartoony anime artstyle from FFVII, instead of the more realistic look they decided to go with here (it just fits the original era and the spirit of the game better, I'm having a hard time imagining Cait Sith and Chocobos fitting into this). The atmosphere also feels a lot more claustrophobic; back when the camera was at a fixed zoomed out angle, there was a sense for the overall space of the areas, but this new 3rd person view makes Midgar seem a lot smaller and more cramped in comparison. And of course, Barret's shades look cheesy (though I'm not sure it's such a bad thing, it's getting to be kind of tropeish though).

That all said, the energy, action and spirit of the trailer did remind me a lot of the original game, and I think that's probably more important than the aesthetics (though Uematsu's fantastic score probably helped a lot with that). I like that they spent a lot of time focusing on what the characters were doing, instead of dwelling on character dialog (I appreciate much more the "show don't tell" mentality). I agree with the sentiment that there's no point in just retreading the original for a remake, you can still play the original after all, and so long as the new changes are still enjoyable or interesting, I think it's fun to see a fresh take on things.

Also, the English VA for Cloud is miles away better than the Japanese VA, who sounds like just about every other unaffected "too cool" pretty boy I've seen in a lot of anime these days, so at least there's a voice option that's bearable to get through the game.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
I hope Steve button does cloud for the dub.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'm super psyched for this.

I am one of the few who still like turn based battles - but I'm also not opposed to the more action kingdom hearts-esque battle either. That said - I don't want to only play as Cloud. I hope we can toggle between players.

But it looks so pretty ~ I can't wait to see the other characters!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Animehermit wrote:
A turn based game doing well on a mobile platform? Shocked.

in 2015 on a console people expect more. They're right games have evolved since 1989.

I love turned based games as much as anybody, but to expect it from a AAA game made on a home console is nuts.

I repeat, Dragon Quest, which is getting its eleventh installment on the PS4. Which is also made by the Enix half of SE.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, these old eyes of mine can't handle them newfangled graphics. Anyway, everything's looking good and the voices for both languages sound great.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
How do you even control your party if you're running around slashing at everything like that?

In games like FF XII and Bioware's Dragon Age, you script your characters' actions. FF XII calls these "gambits." For instance, you can program a mage to cast blizzaga on enemies that are weak against ice attacks. DA has a much more elaborate system where you can use conditions like "three or more enemies clustered together."

I really like the fact that I can set up my characters the way I want in FF XII then send them off into battle. Even the player-controlled character will follow a script unless you manually intervene. I was rather unhappy to see that this feature was removed in FF XIII. The other party members can follow scripts, but you have to control your own character manually. I got really tired of mashing X all the time to make, e.g., Lightning, carry out attacks.

Bioware removed much of this functionality in DA: Inquisition, I guess to make the game easier to play. You can tell characters to prefer certain attacks or skills and ignore others, but not configure fine-grained conditional settings like in the earlier games.

Kikaioh wrote:
Also, the English VA for Cloud is miles away better than the Japanese VA, who sounds like just about every other unaffected "too cool" pretty boy I've seen in a lot of anime these days, so at least there's a voice option that's bearable to get through the game.

Did you not recognize Sakurai Takahiro's voice? He's one of my favorite male seiyuu. His work as the Medicine Seller in the Mononoke series is one of the best VA performances I've ever heard. He's often cast for cynics like Cloud or Yaichi in Sarai-ya Goyou, or for devious villains like Makashima Shougo in Psycho-Pass.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I hope Steve button does cloud for the dub.

He is. He confirmed it on his Twitter.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
KennstarYusuke wrote:
I have such low expectations for this game. Square Enix are still obsessed with trying to make the characters look like real people, when the beauty of the original designs was in their simplicity and their stylisation.

Even though this simplicity and style could shatter the immersion by having two different art styles dependent upon whether you were in or outside of a battle.

KennstarYusuke wrote:
As it stands it's clear this remake is being made for the Advent Children 'fans' who've never actually played the original game because the graphics are 'bad'.

Ignores the fact that some people never played the game because they didn't have a PS1 when the game came out or simply wasn't interested in the game at the time with that lack of interest not necessarily having anything to do with graphics.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Did you not recognize Sakurai Takahiro's voice? He's one of my favorite male seiyuu. His work as the Medicine Seller in the Mononoke series is one of the best VA performances I've ever heard. He's often cast for cynics like Cloud or Yaichi in Sarai-ya Goyou, or for devious villains like Makashima Shougo in Psycho-Pass.

I am reassuring myself that, even IF the gameplay turns out slightly meh, I will still have the pleasure of listening to hours of Sakurai and (probably way too little, as the plot needs him to be absent and ahead of them a lot) Morikawa (very much counting on him reprising his role). I am quite content with that idea.

I want to be able to control characters other than just Cloud, at least in the bigger and more important fights, but if Cloud gets the same character development as in the original (hopefully physically as well, as he can't possibly look this exhausted throughout the whole game and after turning into a leader), I'll play this happily. Great story, great world, great characters, my favorite voice actors - really, they have to actively try, and quite hard, to disappoint me. Like not letting Cloud turn into a leader and forcing him to stay emo or pretending the original game didn't have any kind of humor. I will stay 100% optimistic until proven wrong after the credits roll.

Or if they don't make the Japanese version available in Europe. Then it's bashing time.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Looks like FF15. SE might be packin it up sooner than later. I don't see a 60 hr remake. I can also guess we will get this before KH3 and FF15.

Expect fan backlash, and you know what these fans are like. Shocked

Not sure where you are getting those ideas from.

Everything shown in the video is very very early in the game. This will not come out before FF15, I would be willing to bet on it.

It is quite obvious they polished some very early stuff to get fans excited, that is it. This game is nowhere close to being finished, unless Square have been working on it in secret with a full team for a long long time. Which is highly doubtful.

In fact I wouldn't even take the battle system seen for granted, it didn't show anything at all, and was obviously just cinematic made for the video.

As for how long the remake is, if it is anything less than the original I will be very surprised. I suspect it will likely add stuff and be longer.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I can artistically appreciate the technical acting ability, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stereotypical sort of acting and characterization that girls swoon for (in my experience anyways), the sort of cool but tortured confidence that makes me roll my eyes. I find it distracting, which is why the English version is less grating for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3