• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake's Kitase Discusses Game's Battle System in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the days when developers experimented with balancing turn-based and action systems. The Kingdom Hearts action style works okay, but I still want to see a few games like Grandia or Xenogears where there are turns, but players can experiment with the action beyond a simple menu.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
So it's going to be a menu-based button-masher?

Ugh. That would be even worse than an action "RPG."

What does that mean specifically? Do you mean games like Devil May Cry and the Souls series?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
I think FFVII was already nothing but a glorified B-movie, though. Squeenix however caters to a different crowd of people that more or less want interactive movies.

Yes, but in 1997, when the Playstation arrived, the idea that a game could look cinematic was a cultural thunderbolt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pF9BJQBLo (Yes, it looks like every other game ad today, but somebody who was born before the Clinton era will know what I'm talking about.)
Up to that point, even the most literary-overwritten JRPG like Chrono Trigger or Legend of Mana was still the overhead map variety, with little chibi sprites running around on a map. The plot could still have its big "story" cutscenes, but they would still be the little 16-bit characters running around and trying to escape the castle maze before the explosion.
The PS1 eventually converted the Breath of Fire franchise to a 3/4 view, and gave us more or less figure characters who stood up, but the idea that we could have big photorealistic backgrounds, and story scenes directed with camera angles......pwhooosh! (mimes head-blow)

Those old days seem to have been forgotten when everyone said "They've upgraded everything else, they have to upgrade FFVII!", out of sentimentality rather than remembering what it actually looked like.

Quote:
Well, well. How long has it now been since those guys forgot how to make games? Ten years? Or was it twenty?

I don't know, how long have we had the PS3, that gave XII and after enough "room" to put the shops in a rambling open world, to have side quests that mean absolutely nothing to the story and don't propel it along, a 360 system where you wouldn't actually see the monsters behind you if it weren't for the red lines getting in the way of every danged thing, and a self-playing macro system that lets the player basically tune out of the battles while he discovers he didn't program enough health potions to get through it?

Bigger isn't Better if you're not having fun. And I have fun ruling my battles with an iron-handed survival genius for strategy, from one attack to the next.
(Although yes, I will concede those freakin' Summons were in love with their own animation, but at least you could hit a Skip Cinematic button after you got the general idea the first time.)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

I think FFVII was already nothing but a glorified B-movie, though. I'm just a gameplay guy. I don't care for story and graphics. Different tastes and all that. I like to play games, not to watch them. Squeenix however caters to a different crowd of people that more or less want interactive movies.

So stick with multiplayer games I guess. "Watching games" has been a large part of any single-player experience for years. Even games like Fallout have a lot of moments that you have to "watch". RPGs have always been story-heavy, so I honestly don't even know why you're commenting on this game if you don't like story in your games.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Seska1973 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
They seem to be attempting to attract the 4-6 million people still buying modern FF games today, rather than the 10 million people who bought FF VII. It's a bold strategy, aiming for the smaller audience, but we'll see if it pays off.

10 million.. how many years is that away now? Time did not stop for them, they found their love, married perhaps and perhaps also have children. do they still have the time to play the game today?

I did, when the PS3 upgrade of the polygon PS1 version came back out on PSNetwork, and I was hooked all over again. (Although, having played the original when it came out, I had the advantage of knowing what not to do.)
The same was true for when the last good turn-based FFX/X-2 came out on PS3 HD upgrade a year or two ago.

Couldn't get into the needlessly anal-retentive battle systems of FFVIII then, though, and when I tried to get into the PS3 Network upgrade, couldn't handle it now, either. Confused
Still, I'm going to slog a little more ways through the IX upgrade, that seems like it has an actual story.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

I don't know, how long have we had the PS3, that gave XII

Not to be the guy but I think you meant XIII (13).

Megiddo wrote:

My only point was the the FF series sold the most when they were about strategic planning in battles, not merely mashing buttons as numbers constantly fly across the screen.

It may have sold the most when they were doing that but that wasn't the reason why it sold the most.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
I think FFVII was already nothing but a glorified B-movie, though. I'm just a gameplay guy. I don't care for story and graphics.

Tetris is great. You still can buy Atari 2600 somewhere.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not to be the guy but I think you meant XIII (13).

If XII was the needlessly confusing (as detailed above) game that nevertheless had the rabbit babe, I mean XII.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

I think FFVII was already nothing but a glorified B-movie, though. I'm just a gameplay guy. I don't care for story and graphics. Different tastes and all that. I like to play games, not to watch them. Squeenix however caters to a different crowd of people that more or less want interactive movies.
Dude, RPG is always a story based game. You level up your characters for a purpose, you know? SE is not the only company who did this too. Please open your eyes widely

Last edited by Hikarunu on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
This Reunion is not for FF7 fans this reunion is for the keyboard warriors, the new era is so awesome, the people that think Lightning Returns was academy award winning. SE needs to admit they screwed up before they star making great FF games again.

To keep everybody happy they should have kept TBS system of FF13 but with the old summon system. I personally would have kept the old system killed it with the graphics and released under a year then we are all happy.

But SE only listen to only what they say, fans can go and f*** off but still buy our overpriced product
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

If XII was the needlessly confusing (as detailed above) game that nevertheless had the rabbit babe, I mean XII.

Oh so XII was on the PS3? I didn't know that.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

That can't be right. o.O My first FF was XII, and we never owned a PS3, just a PS2. Now, if they ported it over, that's a different thing.

Incidentally, BOY, did playing a politics and intrigue heavy story first set some unusual expectations for the rest of the FF catalog. Anime hyper
0nsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
RPGs have always been story-heavy, so I honestly don't even know why you're commenting on this game if you don't like story in your games.

Hikarunu wrote:
Dude, RPG is always a story based game. You level up your characters for a purpose, you know? SE is not the only company who did this too. Please open your eyes widely

My favorite RPG is Etrian Odyssey. The one from 2007. There's a story there, but it is conveyed basically through gameplay and common encounters feel like part of the game - not like a chore. It's a lot more fun if every encounter could mean your death if you do the wrong thing or only mindlessly push the button.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

SE transformed this Game for the PS3, because it was planed for the PS2. But this CGI Videos and this tube alike Levels, was not the burner.

And this Games, nearly broke the neck of FF Franchising. well for me

Yeah, FF 12 was on the PS2 (you know this semi MMO World? with Star Wars touch?, and the Bunny Warrior chicks?)
http://www.theisozone.com/images/cover/ps2_257.jpg

FF 13 was the introduction of Lightning
http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/gallery/final-fantasy-xiii-cover-art/final-fantasy-xiii-cover-art-eu.jpg
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

That can't be right.

It isn't I'm just wondering if EricJ realized that seeing as how he implied XII was on the PS3 as opposed to the PS2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2