• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Lagoon Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
nechronius wrote:

Rei Hiroe's preference for a particular era of western pop culture is quite obvious in his writing, 60's era stuff with references to Credence Clearwater and movies like The Wild Bunch. Again, makes a lot of sense thematically since characters like Dutch were shaped by their formative years around the Vietnam War, with Black Lagoon itself being set in the 80's. .

I don't know if maybe the manga places it differently, but Roberta's Blood Trail puts the setting in 1995. There is an opening scene in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War, and then it cuts to 20 years later.

That was just a ballpark reasonable guess from what I could remember, given I haven't watched Black Lagoon in a little while, even if my shiny BluRays are sitting pretty on my shelf. Next to the manga that have been mostly sitting around even longer. If you remember the dates of 1975 and 1995 clearly, then I'm certain you are correct.

Actually now that you mention it, Balalaika is a Soviet-Afghan War veteran along with her most trusted advisers, which would have set Black Lagoon around 1990 at the earliest. So yup, 90's it is. I was off by broadly 5-10 years in my recollection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2