• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans' English Dub Casts Johnny Yong Bosch as Orga Itsuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I keep hoping the man would get more dub roles, and when he does get one, it's the mismatch of the year...

As much as I adore JYB's voice, I also don't think that his voice is deep enough for Orga's. They probably choice him in the first place because he voiced Lelouch, a military leader. But even so there are plenty of other more badass-sounding military leader English VA's. This choice just does not compute.

Oh well. As a sub-watcher, it's time to sit back and watch this dub capsize.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
What!? Ichigo does not match Orga's voice at all... and JYB has no range... oh God this will be bad. Orga's voice is much deeper Anime dazed

His range isn't so bad, but it doesn't go deep enough to fit Orga's voice.

My thoughts are the same as everyone else's. Orga is the father/authority/leader figure of the group and really needs the voice to match. There are a lot of young male characters in this series that JYB would have been perfect for that get lots of screen time. It wont be right if Orga And Mikazuki both have really young sounding voices.

Maybe we'll be surprised and he can pull off a deeper voice than we're used to, but I don't have my hopes up.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
leonard.lim.944023 wrote:
Shirohae wrote:
These Dubbers should focus on Thunderbolt instead of the Boring gundam Series.

Boring?? How is this series boring?! You seriously got no patience whatsoever..This series is good so far...

Lack of action is always a snoozefest Any AU is ain't worth watching anyway.
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461
So I'm only patient on Origin or Thunderbolt

Why are you here then?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Shirohae wrote:

Boring?? How is this series boring?! You seriously got no patience whatsoever..This series is good so far...

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461

Why are you here then?

I've seen this guy troll other forums with his anti-AU crap before. Don't bother.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
awesome sauce i love Johnny Young Bosch, i wonder will he use his Ichigo voice

Yup, always like hearing more from him. Looking forward to this dub.
leonard.lim.944023

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
Shirohae wrote:

Why are you here then?

I've seen this guy troll other forums with his anti-AU crap before. Don't bother.

Anti hero troll with his anti UC crap too.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't mind Bosch as the "older brother", but Orga's leader macho-ness is going to be lacking.

He'd probably be OK as Eugene or Ein (like someone said already).

G_Tekketsu, so far, has a strong example of "bonds between characters".
rave09

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I'm a bit surprised by this one. I would have expected him to voice Mikazuki rather than Orga. I like Johnny but I think his voice is more suited to play Mikazuki rather than Orga.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

The trolls...they're everywhere!
Bluuumeee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
You know, JYB's been in the VO business for nearly fifteen years. He's probably got more range than most give him credit for. I suggest we all reserve judgement until the first episode comes out.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I am a little bit concerned with this decision. Lelouch is not what I think of when I hear Orga, but its has been several years since the dub so maybe his voice has gotten deeper since then. Or maybe he has done roles with deeper voices and I've just never heard them.
Shirohae wrote:

Oh, you're one of those gundam fans...meh whatever floats your boat.

However, you do realize that the person who wrote that article is the same one who has been reviewing the IBO episodes and giving them very positive reviews.

Last edited by Zetabag on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Hey, what gives? I though that "by this time next year", Bang Zoom wasn't going to be making any more English dubs?

Seriously though, what English dubs did they make after that ridiculous "Anime is going to die" debacle?

Wasn't that debacle, like, five years ago?

Regardless, they've made TONS of dubs since then.

I remember that declaration too. and it was actually 7 years ago (not sure) right after they canceled that anime TV online show that JYB hosted and the first incarnation of toonami went bye bye.

they got a lot of heat for declaring that anime is going to die in the US and will "only focused on english subs" which is what made it into a massive debacle.

regardless , at least their doing dubs instead of going sub only mode like some studio companies we know(We're talking to you Right Stuff/Nozumi & NISA) so we should be grateful for that.

HELL! We should be even more grateful that Sunrise is pawning off the money to produce a dub since most fans though English dubs for gundam series will be persona non grata now after unicorn was completed and its main dub holder Bandai Ent is now six feet under cause they could have easily have given the series to right stuff which would have given it an auto sub only release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zetabag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

regardless , at least their doing dubs instead of going sub only mode like some studio companies we know(We're talking to you Right Stuff/Nozumi & NISA) so we should be grateful for that.

Does Right Stuf really have a say in whether or not a Gundam series will get a dub? I thought that was all up to Sunrise.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
You know, I honestly think that Ocean Group might've done okay with this one by comparison. I mean... Gundam 00 was cast pretty damn well. Plus, Brad Swaile might have been a good Mikazuki, considering that I'd say the range required is similar to his Setsuna.

But, I guess my Black Lagoon/Death Note nostalgia goggles might be on too tight, since everyone here tells me that Ocean Group is a terrible affliction cast upon the Earth.

Either way, the cast that Bang Zoom got doesn't seem very promising. I want to hear it before saying any more, but I just don't see JYB pulling this off.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Excellent Can't wait for the home video release and hopefully the dubbed version of iron blooded orphans makes it to Toonami soon. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3