• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why is it so tough to buy Japanese digital media downloads?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
such a shame
if japanese companies don't want your money, don't give it to them
SONY wants your money, buy their stuff
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

That said, even if they suddenly "open up" and let their music be available all over, what makes you think they'd suddenly get popular overseas? Sad to say, but J-POP doesn't really jive with international mainstream tastes. μ's? AKB48? Momoiro Clover Z? Forget about it. Even Arashi or Exile will struggle because they have to compete with K-POP groups that have already established base abroad. Maybe along the lines of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, but it's still a tough sell.

But they wont know if they don't try though. AKB48 already has a fanbase, albeit small. Babymetal has one too.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
There are some anime OP/ED/OSTs on Itunes, but you got to look real hard since the songs usually listed with the artist individually and not by anime it comes from.

Well, if you've seen Japanese television live music shows (e.g. clips shown on youtube), they not only list title and artist, but also anime that it's from, plus the lyricist and composer. Even though it's in kanji, it's the right idea in my opinion because one can then search for other material by the same artist, from the same anime, or same lyricist or composer.

Leaving out any of that information when listing music for sale (either as physical CD's or digital downloads) makes it harder for someone to find music that they might like.

As an example, Flying Dog listed at least some of the anime tie-in information for the HouKo ChroniCle best-of album by Houko Kuwashima: http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/-/Artist/A015870.html (she sang the Martian Successor Nadesico ending song, a Noir insert song and a Gundam Seed Destiny insert song).

Without actually having access to a copy of the CD, it took me several hours to find the other details of the songs.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
I once tried importing a Japanese iTunes card. Apart from paying double the price all in than compared to the the local store, they had not (at the time at least) embraced iTunes+ so the tracks were both only 128kbps and DRM-locked so are essentially useless (couldn't play them either on my non-Apple phone or even on my old iPod Touch since that was on a different account)

omiya wrote:
Noticed on Chiaki Ishikawa's twitter:

It is a smaller selection than in Japan, but some of her music is available in iTunes outside Japan: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/id276208054

omiya wrote:
As an example, Flying Dog listed at least some of the anime tie-in information for the HouKo ChroniCle best-of album by Houko Kuwashima: http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/-/Artist/A015870.html (she sang the Martian Successor Nadesico ending song, a Noir insert song and a Gundam Seed Destiny insert song).

FlyingDog are actually the best, since they have a site specifically for promoting their music on iTunes in the US and EU: http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/its/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Adamanto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
85cmpersecond wrote:
Kind of have a weird workaround to this; I have a JP 3DS, and (assuming nothing's changed recently?) you can use US credit cards on the Japanese Nintendo e-store. There's a 3DS app called "Recochoku" that works like iTunes (except I think it might be a bit more expensive per song...), and so I can buy stuff through my 3DS and later download it off of my Recochoku account onto my computer and iTunes/iPod/etc.

Not any more.
As I was really annoyed to discover yesterday, the 3DS Recochoku now spits up an error message if you're trying to make a purchase from a non-Japanese IP.

The e-store thankfully has no such restrictions and takes my card fine.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Here's my pet peeve: Amazon.com (US site) does have some Jpop, but they make it very hard to find it. All their Japanese music is grouped in the "International>Far East and Asia" section. They don't have a section for specific countries, and the selection is dwarfed by the amount of Bollywood music. I'm sure Indian pop is lovely, but I just want to see a clear listing of all the anime themes they have without having to wade through pages of Indian stuff. Is that really so much to ask?

My question that I've been meaning to write in to Answerman is what anime music podcasts and/or internet radio stations are legally available in the US. I know about Japan Top 10 an excellent English language podcast that counts down the top 10 hits in Japan (playing the full songs) about every other week. They have specials, including anime music specials, but mostly they play current mainstream Japanese hits. Anyone know of any others?
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

Well, if you've seen Japanese television live music shows (e.g. clips shown on youtube), they not only list title and artist, but also anime that it's from, plus the lyricist and composer. Even though it's in kanji, it's the right idea in my opinion because one can then search for other material by the same artist, from the same anime, or same lyricist or composer.

I think that's cause anime productions/music companies are tied very closely out there. Your anime promotes my artist:My artist promotes your show. It's a win win for both parties.

I'm referring to the ability to such for the songs on a platform like itunes.
Example: Watching Michiko and Hatchin on Toonami right now. I love the opening Paraiso by Soil & "Pimp" Sessions. Now I can't type in Michiko and Hatchin opening into Itunes search bar and find the song. I have to type Paraiso or Soil & "Pimp" Sessions into the search and go looking.

The kicker is that I didn't know or would even assume that Soil & "Pimp" Sessions would even have an Itunes catalog. I found Paraiso by chance while looking at another anime song. Also searching anime itself doesn't bring everything because Apple doesn't categorize songs as being from an anime and that's what gets me.

Just look
https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/music-anime/id29
And that's still not everything when you take into account the Listeners also brought section.

omiya wrote:
Leaving out any of that information when listing music for sale (either as physical CD's or digital downloads) makes it harder for someone to find music that they might like.

I know. I have to play detective when it comes to the music Adult Swim uses in it's bumps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
@Agent355+Mr.Shonen

My bet is that big music companies need to "suggest" (reads as point their guns at) Amazon and Apple to add an anime tag/section to their music stores and for that to happen they need to start pushing a digital agenda for their anime repertoire.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
My question that I've been meaning to write in to Answerman is what anime music podcasts and/or internet radio stations are legally available in the US. I know about Japan Top 10 an excellent English language podcast that counts down the top 10 hits in Japan (playing the full songs) about every other week. They have specials, including anime music specials, but mostly they play current mainstream Japanese hits. Anyone know of any others?

I just checked and http://shinsen-radio.org is still around, it's more of an automated online play request system but it does have a lot of music of anime on it.

I'd also love to know about what music of anime programmes/podcasts can be listened to outside of Japan without using a proxy or having to claim that one lives in Japan. Most of the ones mentioned by the artists on twitter don't seem to be accessible outside of Japan.
SamuelSpade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
All interesting reading. Been wondering why it was so hard for me to find anything to listen to before I decided if its worth getting. I wonder if the FTA, assuming it passes, would help with this problem but I doubt it. I dont do illegal music downloads and its a shame this is often the only option.

Recently Az jp shipped me five CD's (4 anime, 1 non). Tried to add a sixth but it wouldnt let me. I emailed them with the link and the csr that responded assured me that it was available for US shipping and perhaps it was because the attempt actually pointed to a marketplace seller.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
SamuelSpade wrote:
All interesting reading. Been wondering why it was so hard for me to find anything to listen to before I decided if its worth getting. I wonder if the FTA, assuming it passes, would help with this problem but I doubt it.

Although "free" trade agreements seem to allow access to markets, they don't seem to prevent producers from blocking access of their products in specific markets and sometimes the trade agreements provide additional tools to producers to prevent their products from being sold in other markets by third parties as well (ie prohibiting parallel imports), allowing them to not sell their products in specific markets or to charge whatever they like for the product depending on the particular market.

Online sales methods for sound and video recordings only seem to perpetuate this.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, it cheesed me off when Avex Trax pulled everything off of iTunes a few years ago. It resulted in a period while in the US where I had to obtain music in a less than orthodox manner, till I would be sent back to Japan where I could use traditional channels for acquiring music.

It's not just the music and television industry that has an aversion to online distribution. It's the same thing with print media as well, which is really annoying if you work for let's say, an international wire service that entire method of operation is through online electronic distribution of news stories.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Japanese newspapers aren't available online, even if you buy a subscription?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4