• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why is it so tough to buy Japanese digital media downloads?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Japanese newspapers aren't available online, even if you buy a subscription?

Well, various Japanese newspapers have some content free and online for a limited period after publication (both the Japanese and English editions).

What's worse is that if you subscribe to The Japan News (English version of the Yomiuri Shimbun), the articles are only available online for one month from publication as far as I know.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Oh my GOD! I thought Oda Nobunaga had proven that being closed minded is stupid to no avail. Now it makes sense that most anime songs are not subtitled by streaming sites, why bother when the owners of the songs will not bother to release their wares for sale outside japan.

See why I'm not a fan anymore?

Vee-Tee wrote:
Thanks for explaining the alternative options. I had no idea those were available.

It's interesting to me how K-pop labels have almost totally embraced worldwide audiences through streaming (Spotify, YouTube, etc) and distributing K-pop albums overseas (HMV in London's Oxford Circus has a fairly decent selection), and the Japanese labels are still throwing their weight around and insisting upon physical copy loyalty.

That's true of the K-Pop scene. I'm reminded when we bought an LG 3D TV set a few years back, one of the streaming videos was of a K-Pop group I played just to test out the 3D on it. I'm sure those media companies in Korea know how well to market outside their home base after the success of those like Psy.

DmonHiro wrote:
Honestly, that's far too much trouble to go through just to stay on the legal side. It's just not worth it.

No different from the anime scene 20 years ago for me.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
omiya wrote:
Noticed on Chiaki Ishikawa's twitter:

https://twitter.com/ishikawachi_FC/status/674433222596427776

【配信情報】
石川智晶NEWアルバム「物語の最初と最後はいらない」
iTunes,Apple Music,レコチョ ク,music.jp,mora,LINE MUSIC,AWA,OTOTOY、KKBOX,SPOTIFY他。#石川智晶

I'm not sure if these work outside of Japan.

I just checked Amazon, and the album is available for download in the US, along with a couple EPs. If you search Amazon, there are actually quite a few J-pop artists available.

I suppose those releases were cleared for sale in the US this way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4