• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Most Memorable Manga of 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the (calmer) Umineko thoughts, guys. The volume 10 review is here, and I have written up volume 11; it just hasn't been posted. I'm glad to know that this has been a slower arc for people besides me, and as I said before, this is one trainwreck I'm not getting off because I do want to know if any of my theories (most involving mental illness) are true. Some day if I have the time (so, you know, when I retire) I do want to play the games and get why Maria and Dlanor are so popular! (Though I do still find R07 annoying as an author - not so much in the story, but in his "bwahaha I am awesome" afterwards.)

@Classicalzawa

I agree about Wayward! One of my students lent it to me and I admit I put it off as long as I could - I thought it would be Orientalist schlock. Talk about a great surprise!

@rheiders

Horimiya was a top contender for me too. That, So Cute it Hurts, and One Punch Man are all titles I just didn't have room to put in.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No book, manga or prose, has quite captured that the way Yoshitoki Ōima does in his series A Silent Voice.

A small correction: Yoshitoki Ōima is a woman. I thought it sounded like a man's name as well Anime smile + sweatdrop

A Silent Voice would be my pick for the best manga of the year, although it's not without its flaws. Its realistic portrayal of bullying and emotional depth aside, I'm quite taken with its offbeat sense of humor.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read much manga this year, but there are quite a few titles that I'll check out a some point. As for titles that I did read this year:

Horimiya-The progression of our main couple's relationship is so natural and fun to watch. The other characters are great, too.

Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun-I enjoyed the anime and love the author's other series, Oresama Teacher so of course I was going to read this. The humor is great.

Alice in the Country of Hearts: Junk Box Stories-I've grown to really enjoy the Alice series. It's hard to find a reverse harem series where I don't find the protagonist annoying. Also, major points to this book since it has a story with Gray in it, who is quickly becoming my favorite choice for Alice.

Series That At Times I Wonder Why the Hell I Still Read It
Bleach-I'm pretty sure that part of the reason I'm sticking with this is because it's almost over. It still has its good moments, but I frequently lament the fact that I don't enjoy it as much as I use to.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Currently on the last volume of the LN Spice and Wolf, after just reading Vol. 11 of Say, I love You, and 22 of Kimi Ni Todoke, I will be ordering A Silent Voice after I finish Kimi Ni Todoke.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I picked up A Silent Voice when it came out but gave it away. I found it unreadable. It was a bit too realistic, some things are better left forgotten.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan wrote:
[S]ome things are better left forgotten.

There are some things that I simply cannot forget!
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
Highly highly highly (... wait, can I continue saying highly???) recommend giving Yamada-kun and the seven witches a try. I admit, I started reading the manga after 3 episodes from the anime but boy/girl... Miki Yoshikawa knows how to write a story. I'm all caught up now (Thank you CR manga) and have been buying the volumes as soon as they come off the press. Tell your friends! We need to keep excellent writers like Miki in business instead of the multitude of shounen creators than are basically rehashing the same story/dynamics from DB/DBZ but with a different color.

Nozaki-kun is pretty good too. Not trying to defend Nisekoi but it does actually get better so just add the books to your collection and catch up using Weekly Shounen.

BTW, how's Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma no part of this list???
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
Highly highly highly (... wait, can I continue saying highly???) recommend giving Yamada-kun and the seven witches a try. I admit, I started reading the manga after 3 episodes from the anime but boy/girl... Miki Yoshikawa knows how to write a story. I'm all caught up now (Thank you CR manga) and have been buying the volumes as soon as they come off the press. Tell your friends! We need to keep excellent writers like Miki in business...

That's right!! I absolutely love the way she writes relationships, and everything else, for that matter. I felt such a void after finishing the anime that I had to read the manga, and that is something that I very rarely do. I really hope someone licenses the anime so I can support it even more. Smile

And not that it effects her work, but Yoshikawa-san is extremely cute! Embarassed
Zeres

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say thank you for this article. Through it, I discovered Koe no Kitachi, a truly great manga. So thanks. May we have an amazing next year.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely put A Silent Voice up there too, though I can see why it might be too difficult for some people to read. Whispered Words did end absolutely delightfully.

My "It grew on me like a fungus/creepiest romance/oh god why am I reading this, but can't help it anyway" title of the year is Citrus, by a long way. It's so so soapy and melodramatic, but I just cannot stop reading it for some reason I can't put my finger on.

This year's "most like to induce diabetes" is definitely So Cute It Hurts. Pure, unadulterated shojo sweetness in all its glory and I can't wait for volume 4.

"It Came From Left Field" is Kiss Him, Not Me. This could've been so naff, but it's obvious the author is a fujoshi herself, and doesn't parody them cruelly.
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

"It Came From Left Field" is Kiss Him, Not Me. This could've been so naff, but it's obvious the author is a fujoshi herself, and doesn't parody them cruelly.

Crunchyroll has released 30+ chapters of "Kiss Him, Not Me," and it is the funniest d*mn thing I have read in ages. When they introduced the fifth suitor (the cosplayer) with the ensuing shenanigans the series changed in my mind from "I can't believe I'm reading this" to "this is really charming - I'm really hooked!"

"A Silent Voice" is indeed excellent.

Rebecca, thank you for this summary! I've placed a hold on "Whispered Words" at my local library.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
MikeNeko San wrote:
st_owly wrote:

Crunchyroll has released 30+ chapters of "Kiss Him, Not Me," and it is the funniest d*mn thing I have read in ages. When they introduced the fifth suitor (the cosplayer) with the ensuing shenanigans the series changed in my mind from "I can't believe I'm reading this" to "this is really charming - I'm really hooked!"

I'm not female, nor fujoshi, but the premise for this just sounds too good! I might have to check it out. I could use a good rom-com.
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Almost all of the manga I'm reading now is through Crunchyroll.

A Silent Voice was very impressive, but I thought the best of the year was the ongoing Space Brothers, which presented a couple of major developments: spoiler[Mutta's arrival on the Moon]and even more memorably, spoiler[Serika's breakthrough in her ALS research.] What a payoff after watching what they went through to get to those points.

For me, the pleasant surprise of 2015 was Sweetness and Lightning. The premise of a single dad (widower) wanting to make a more personal connection with his young daughter by learning to cook works well and Gido Amagakure's artwork is delightful.

Chances are I won't follow the recipes shown. But what a treat to see the three main characters give it a go and bond like a family.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Excellent article and choices! I have to say that, for the ones that I have read, I agree with your choices wholeheartedly!

The ending to Whispered Words is, by far, the finest ending to a story about same-sex romance that I have read. That includes other types of fiction as well. It ranks very high in terms of any romance sub-genre, regardless of the gender of the protagonists. The positive, supportive, and hopeful tone that the ending has is second to none. I also found the series scored high in other areas, such as the relatively realistic way it dealt with anti-gay bias impacting the lives of the characters and the wonderful way the protagonists turn that around and, in the end, gain acceptance and demonstrate that the culture is slowly changing and becoming more tolerant.

A Silent Voice and Wandering Son are also two of my favorites, and I agree with the ordering in their category. I don't know if there is a better story in any medium covering the topics of bullying or trans-gender issues than these two fantastic manga.

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches is another winner in my book. It, so often, twists its tropes in such delightfully funny ways, has such a light spirit and fun tone, yet is capable of delivering serious character development and some really great moments of drama. (It never fails to toss in a punchline along with the drama, though.) The concept of the witches powers and why witches end up getting those powers is also a fairly mature and well thought out plot point for what is mostly a fun comedic romp.

Nisekoi continues to crash and burn, over and over... I'm still reading it, but I am not always certain why...

I even kind of agree with your comfort food choice, though for me, Wichcraft Works, Citrus, Toradora, Spice and Wolf (LN > manga), Golden Time, and Horimiya probably fit the "comfort food" label better. I would have to say that, of the new things this year, Horimiya is my prime confort food, with Citrus and Wichcraft Works falling into the "guilty pleasure" category.

Of course, the real comfort food for me is Oh My Goddess, which also saw it's end this year and would qualify as both my comfort food and the "Who Knew This Would Still Be Good?" category. I felt that the ending was rather good and, being my first love, it will always hold a special place in my heart. The omnibus reprinting is a nice idea too... I might start picking those up soon... ah money, where art thou?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Of course, the real comfort food for me is Oh My Goddess, which also saw it's end this year and would qualify as both my comfort food and the "Who Knew This Would Still Be Good?" category. I felt that the ending was rather good and, being my first love, it will always hold a special place in my heart. The omnibus reprinting is a nice idea too... I might start picking those up soon... ah money, where art thou?
Well I thought the ending was rather rushed. It could have easily filled two more volumes ifspoiler[Fujishima added their second wedding to cover their unity on Earth and inviting Kei's family and friends. and maybe hint to Bells' eventual pregnancy. ]I was disappointed. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5