• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hero Academia Anime's Ochako, Tenya Character Designs Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
TBH, I've visited the ANN site for over a decade, and I was never under the impression that they had a rule for how they presented names. They even mentioned in the article that her first name is "Ochaco", so it was pretty clear to me, not to mention they were following the Japanese presentation of the names in English as well.

Tenya is actually that second character's first name as well, so they were consistent with the order that they presented. Iida is a common family name in Japan.

Go to any news related article on this site regarding character designs, voice actor announcement etc. the characters names will always be in english style. In this article Uraraka is written in japanese style and Iida is written in english style.

Why in the title did they us Ochako(family name/first japanese name/second english name) and Tenya(given name/second Japanese name/first english name?

IMHO this article wrongly implies that Ochako is her given name/english first name/japanese second name.

Last edited by GrizzlyDeku on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

I honestly can't believe i'm having to argue what my one of my favorite characters name is. Can someone back me up? Am I going Crazy?

Just checked through my digital copy of vol. 1 and the official localization/romanization of her name is Ochako Uraraka

Screenshots: 1 2 3
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
@GrizzlyDeku: As far as I can tell, Ochaco isn't her family name/first japanese name/second english name. It's her given name/second japanese name/first english name. One of the tell-tale signs is that Ochaco ends with 子 or -co, which is a tell-tale kanji that's usually found at the end of Japanese girl's given names. I've also never seen Hiragana appearing in a family surname (the お at the beginning), so I sort of doubt that Ochaco is her family surname.

Have you ever studied/spoken Japanese? I guess I'm wondering where you're getting your understanding of her name from. Based on everything I'm seeing, you seem to be arguing with how the Japanese website is actually presenting their names, both in the traditional and in the English sense.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

I honestly can't believe i'm having to argue what my one of my favorite characters name is. Can someone back me up? Am I going Crazy?

Just checked through my digital copy of vol. 1 and the official localization/romanization of her name is Ochako Uraraka

Screenshots: 1 2 3

I guess boku no hero academia wiki is wrong about what the localization of her name along with me during my entire time as a fan of this series. Next thing your gonna tell me is Midoriya is Deku's english first name
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
@GrizzlyDeku: As far as I can tell, Ochaco isn't her family name/first japanese name/second english name. It's her given name/second japanese name/first english name. One of the tell-tale signs is that Ochaco ends with 子 or -co, which is a tell-tale kanji that's usually found at the end of Japanese girl's given names. I've also never seen Hiragana appearing in a family surname (the お at the beginning), so I sort of doubt that Ochaco is her family surname.

Have you ever studied/spoken Japanese? I guess I'm wondering where you're getting your understanding of her name from. Based on everything I'm seeing, you seem to be arguing with how the Japanese website is actually presenting their names, both in the traditional and in the English sense.

Have you read boku no hero academia? I've watched enough anime to understand how both japanese and english names go.
XSp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Very faithful to the manga... which lends well for an animated adaptation I guess. It's pretty easy to imagine how and animated version of it would be.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
@GrizzlyDeku: The Japanese site presents their names as 麗日お茶子 (麗日 = Uraraka, お茶子 = Ochako) and 飯田天哉 (飯田 = Iida, 天哉 = Tenya), which all lines up with common Japanese naming conventions. Unless all of their promotional material is wrong, and normal Japanese naming conventions suddenly became wrong, I'm leaning in the direction that you've been under a bad misunderstanding.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

I guess boku no hero academia wiki is wrong about what the localization of her name along with me during my entire time as a fan of this series.

Yup, that would certainly appear to be the case. Stuff like this is actually pretty common when a series is first picked up by fan translators, though it's certainly nowhere as egregious as the age-old headache discussion about "Nakama" Anime hyper

Quote:
Next thing your gonna tell me is Midoriya is Deku's english first name

That's a negatory! The viz release has him as Izuku Midoriya, so Midoriya is most certainly his family name rather than his given (makes sense considering his nickname is a play on Izuku)

And to stave off further argument:
Katsuki Bakugo
Tenya Ida

Anyway, on the topic of the character designs I'm really excited. Umakoshi looks to really be capturing the cast's personalities and energies so far, while making some minor changes to be more animator friendly. I'm really hoping to get a full PV or an airdate/season announcement soon. MHA is easily my favorite running manga right now and I can't wait to see what the anime team can do with it.
Stabman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Ochako is her first/given name and Uraraka is her surname. This is the case whether in original Japanese, flipped in English, or not flipped in English.

Do you know who else thinks Ochako is her first/given name?

Ochako's parents.

Because that's what they call her (ch.44)
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Her first anime is Ochako and her last name is Uraraka
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I think the designs look great, following the trend of the previous ones. As I said earlier, Ochako's hair colour is up for debate, but I'm fine with it being a strict brown for the anime. Also, is it just me or does she look way cuter in anime form? (Not that she wasn't already).

I'm liking the stiff posture of Iida; they got that down as well.

Seriously, everything is looking great so far. Maybe we will find out their VAs before or during Jump Festa 2016 next week. Fingers crossed!
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Uraraka is her family name. That's obvious since her own parents call her "Ochako". Looks like someone does not pay attention.

I'm wondering why ANN announce their designs by calling them by their first name. That leads me to believe that they don't read the series, since there is a strong last name basis in this series. Although, "Tenya" is also Iida's hero "alias".

I guess the next designs will be Todoroki and Yaoyorozu.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy with everything I've seen thus far. Bones are doing a great job.

Next announcements....Todoroki seem's a given but maybe Yaoyorozu or Eraserhead?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Whoa, wait, her hair is brown? Shocked

I pictured it as blonde or some other really light color. I've only read the first volume, which has no colored art of her, and she has no shading or screen tone whatsoever on her hair.

Yeah, colored pages of the manga and volume covers show her hair as brown. I don't know why she looks blond in the manga itself. It makes her look like Shiemi from "Blue Exorcist."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2