• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Roundup Sides

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Just because you don't care about it, doesn't mean for other people (like the Japanese) that it isn't an important issue. Personally, I think the avatars we use in games are important.

Not sure what you're getting at. It's not like I'm the only one who feels this way nor am I saying just that because I say so, it's automatically unimportant by default.

Stuart Smith wrote:
I'd rather have arguments over waifus than arguments over censorship and sexism, myself.

You make a good point there.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Just as a bit of a nitpick: Rose is *not* an ex-Assassin. She's still an assassin even while in your party.

In-game (we're talking Zestiria here), the issue with Alisha makes sense once you know the reason why she left. However, this reason is not particularly obvious. You can see the warning signs from a few things that happen and a couple of optional dialogue entries, but eventually you do learn more about why she left.

Story-wise, I'd say that Zestiria's story isn't as good as that of Graces or Xillia 1 or 2, which is all the Tales of series that I've played.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Not sure what you're getting at. It's not like I'm the only one who feels this way nor am I saying just that because I say so, it's automatically unimportant by default.

Perhaps you can tell us what section of the Rules of the Universe where that is stated.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps you can tell us what section of the Rules of the Universe where that is stated.

Seriously, what are you going on about? Did I say my word is law? No I didn't. I was just stating my opinion on the matter. Sounds like you're just trying to start a fight.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

But the Japanese fans are honestly the worst when it comes to fictional females, as they focus all their energy ranting about nothing important

I'd rather have arguments over waifus than arguments over censorship and sexism, myself.

Though that can be a problem when games are censored in Japan.
(For ex: did ya guys know Metal Gear Solid 5 got censored in Japan? Both games.
But the Japanese mainly just bent over and took it, so they don't care when more games are censored.)

Talking about MGS, Kojima is hiring, in case ya guys want to apply:

Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Story-wise, I'd say that Zestiria's story isn't as good as that of Graces or Xillia 1 or 2, which is all the Tales of series that I've played.

You would be blown away if you played Vesperia, Destiny, Symphonia and Abyss (though your mileage may vary for a couple of characters in this one) then.

Todd must have contempt over the "don't fix what ain't broke" mantra. I can tell. The Tales of series are essentially interactive adventure anime with fighting game mechanics. And guess what? There is nothing wrong about that. People being so hung up about standardization...if you really must have "innovation" in your RPG's, then just go play Undertale ad nauseaum. Don't forget to whine moar about how big companies "never make games like this anymore."

I am not afraid to say that I am an Alisha fan and so Baba and staff's treatment of her in Zestiria was no less of an injustice. It's not as much waifu tomfoolery here as much as it is: false advertising. Imagine if Luke Skywalker was in posters and other promo material for Star Wars Ep VII only to leave/die in the first 1/4 of the film. Yeah, there will be virtual riots.

For those curious about playing the earlier Summon Knight entries, I have to warn you that they're nothing more than very gimped Ogre Battle games. It looks like it would appeal to Disgaea fans, but keep in mind that the gameplay approach is a bit different (no item world over here, folks.).

And almost forgot about Coldsteel. Sucks that Zero got passed over, but it is what it is. If Xseed doesn't come back for it, then I'll just brush up on my Japanese more. At least I don't have to keep begging for newer ones like Tokyo Xanadu from getting localized.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
But if you play something until you're sick of it, then it wouldn't feel innovative anymore. You gotta keep moving from one thing to another if you crave change.

Or do you mean that Undertale is the only truly innovative recently-released RPG?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

But if you play something until you're sick of it, then it wouldn't feel innovative anymore. You gotta keep moving from one thing to another if you crave change.

Almost 15 million Black Ops 3 players seem to like it.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Or do you mean that Undertale is the only truly innovative recently-released RPG?

There's this new MMORPG coming up:

nynextew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Pertaining to Gravity Rush, traditional Japanese commercials aren't archetypes; not everything is wacky and over the top. There are plenty of commercials (games included) that deal with more semi-fantasy/ slice of life.

- Cute and ordinary

- regular gameplay w/ voice over

- Daughter Father special moment

- pretty simple, just size difference, nothing too fancy.

I think video game advertisements, anywhere, appeal to the audience. Maybe they are trying to hit the none gaming market with a subtle advert? Who knows! My point is I don't think there is a traditional Japanese commercial. Rather, the commercials we, foreigners, take interest in, are the over the top commercials we see more frequently.

Also links for the lazy for Cindy Crawford

and really horrible old quality Phantasy Star IV mentioned in the column
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Todd must have contempt over the "don't fix what ain't broke" mantra. I can tell. The Tales of series are essentially interactive adventure anime with fighting game mechanics. And guess what? There is nothing wrong about that. People being so hung up about standardization...if you really must have "innovation" in your RPG's, then just go play Undertale ad nauseaum. Don't forget to whine moar about how big companies "never make games like this anymore."

I don't see what exactly was innovative about Undertale? Indie games always get praised as being unique and daring to do things real games don't, but every indie game I've played was a clone of old NES/SNES games. Most of the time the Kickstarter even flat out says what old games it's copying. Undertale was quite clearly based off the Mother franchise down to the quirky writing style and the final boss battle was basically the Giygas fight redux. Is it a younger generation who never grew up playing NES/SNES games experiencing stuff like that for the first time and I'm simply too old to be amazed by them? I know a lot of people like to bash normal games, but I always found them well more polished and full fledged than indie games. Is it just an anti-establishment/anti-mainstream mentality? I never noticed anything wrong with the Tales series, aside from Legendia which I didn't particularly like.

nynextew wrote:
I think video game advertisements, anywhere, appeal to the audience. Maybe they are trying to hit the none gaming market with a subtle advert? Who knows! My point is I don't think there is a traditional Japanese commercial. Rather, the commercials we, foreigners, take interest in, are the over the top commercials we see more frequently.

I agree, it's kind of stereotypical to say anything Japanese is "wacky" and kind of falls into that Kotaku-style outdated mantra of "Look of those wacky Japanese!" The only real difference in advertisement between western and Japanese games I notice is Japanese commercials tend to be about the game itself. Most western ads for games I see throw a bunch of review scores and critic blurbs with little or no actual explanation about the game. One commercial, I can't remember which game which is a testament to how overlooked the actual game is, was literally just a bunch of 9/10s and 10/10s flying across the screen with no actual information about what the game was about.

Movies get advertised that way here too. Every movie commercial says it's the "#1 movie in the world" or tells me to "Check out what critics and audiences are calling..." but at the end of those commercials I have no idea what the movie is actually about so I can't tell if I'd be interested in seeing it or not. I need to know the synopsis or set up for a game and movie is before I know if I should buy it. Just telling me other people like it doesn't brainwash me into wanting to buy it.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Then you hit genre fatigue. It's not the game's fault so much so as to yours. Like a kid in a candy shop, you eat too much of a good thing you eventually get sick of it. You either quit and move on or learn to appreciate the typical motifs, techniques and tropes in a genre while still looking out for new things. A lot of gamers fail to do the latter. It's usually because of the general reactionism and immaturity of a good chunk of them.

I agree with Guile's opinion of Undertale, having lived long enough to play SNES RPG's, I can see it's not totally unique, but yeah I can't deny that the game is an eye-opener for the genre this year (at least in its battle system. No other RPG that I can think of has implemented shmup mechanics). Still, I prefer something along the lines of Xenoblade or Falcom RPG's for their aforementioned polishness and less hive-minded fanbases.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Shadow Hearts Covenant: Definitely scandalous!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2