• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Survey Indicates Possible Summer 2016 Release for Final Fantasy XV

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
lol It's a damn shame when you have to ask this.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad we're getting results, unlike "Persona 5."
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
....Yay I am sorry Final Fantasy 15 but.......Yay your last couple of games have been...terrible and persona's last game was one of the best games ever released on PS2.

So.....I am sorry but you would get the shaft if you tried to release near persona 5. It's nothing personal but yay you have nearly tanked final fantasy since after X pretty much, meanwhile persona 3 and onward has been nothing short revitalizing jrpgs
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
IDC WHAT YALL SAY! IM EXCITED
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
....Yay I am sorry Final Fantasy 15 but.......Yay your last couple of games have been...terrible and persona's last game was one of the best games ever released on PS2.

So.....I am sorry but you would get the shaft if you tried to release near persona 5. It's nothing personal but yay you have nearly tanked final fantasy since after X pretty much, meanwhile persona 3 and onward has been nothing short revitalizing jrpgs

Does "A Realm Reborn" not exist anymore?

Also, "Persona 3 and onward?" There has only been one game and a chain of crappy spin-offs.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that really makes it sound like the series has fallen from popularity if they're worried about competing with Persona, I guess that's a sign of the times.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Does "A Realm Reborn" not exist anymore?

Also, "Persona 3 and onward?" There has only been one game and a chain of crappy spin-offs.

Does 14 1.0 that nearly killed square enix along with 13 not exist anymore?

Yes final Fantasy 14 2.0 and even for the most part heavenward are a good final fantasy themed MMO but is it anything like the epic stories and quest in X or any of the other non 11 games..I am sorry but no, Also 14 has been having a lot problems with end game content AGAIN, and that greatly effects it for me especially when it is one of the very few sub based mmos in this day and age!

And you know what say what you want about you thinking arena ultimamax being glorified dlc and not as good, but it still is built on an amazing solid fighting game by arc system and the writing on the VN side of things is VERY WELL DONE in arena!

Persona Q is skipable if you really wanted to sure but the character interactions in Q are hilarious and make the game a ton of fun. Also the dungeon exploration by the etrian odyssey people actually meshs surprisingly well with persona, you can tell a lot of effort went into it.

Dancing all night actually does have a good story in for a music game. could have it been told better and picked up the pace at the beginning sure, but the story has some great twist to it, and actually does a good job showcasing the series side characters. And the music and rhythm game itself are fun and are well designed.

I say that as someone who normally dislikes those three genres and yet I really do like all three of those games.

Also it is worth noting that persona 4 golden is STILL seen as the best game on the vita by most decent gaming websites.

Also I would like to point out we have gotten at most 1 persona game a year basically and players can buy them with confidence that they are well done games
and yet square puts out atleast two a year and most times the games are not at all good these days unless it is a remake of course.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
So Square has to ask the question which are gamers the most excited for P5 or a game that was announced years ago and still hasn't come out yet.

I've been following this a little as there have been YT'bers that have talked about this and many have felt that Atlus has proven themselves time and time again with their MegaTen series, especially the Persona franchise. Square has done nothing more than pump out FF after FF because that's their seller. Another point that comes up is long time fans think that Square has waned much since FF7 it's been hit or miss. Even when they have offered new ideas some folks just aren't feeling it. So it's back to whatever FF will be released. Yet folks who have followed the Persona series have seen it steadily improve. Funny that they're asking this question as well as asking fans what else do they want to see and THEY haven't done anything.

All the good stuff that these gaming companies have done and entertained fans during the Playstation and DC days, and now things have being going on a slope, with companies once again asking customers what do they want to see. Now of course they have no control over what gets made. Square needs to get their A$$ in gear. Start working on different projects and give FF a rest. The fact that they want to remake the older games shows you this is the only selling line they may have. If I'm wrong... but that's just my rant.

I for one am looking forward to P5 as this will be the first 'sim/jrpg' that I will be recommending for our collection. Now I only hope that someone will released the other 2 games on a game disc. In fact how about a collection of the older games as well as the new ones PS4/Xbox. If that happened that would be on out library list so fast it wouldn't be funny.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
let's be honest here... say what you will about being more excited for persona 5 and whatnot, but the reality is, even if both games were to release on the same day, we all know which game would be victorious in the sales count. final fantasy xv will be a juggernaut as far as blatant marketing and exposure goes. i expect final fantasy xv to sell between 6 and 9 million units quite easily (so long as it garners average to good reviews from the critics). fans are starved for a new final fantasy title that actually delivers the goods after the disappointment that was the ff xiii series.

persona 5 on the other hand has a very dedicated and vocal fan base, but it is a small fanbase by comparison. if final fantasy is considered mainstream, persona is closer to the niche spectrum (not so much since persona 3 but you know what i mean). persona 4 on ps2 didn't even hit 1m units sold. persona 4 golden on the vita hit just over 1m units. i expect persona 5 to be the most successful in the series from a sales perspective, but it would be wishful thinking to believe sales will surpass more than 2 to 3 million units. there is nothing wrong with that... i'm sure atlus would consider persona 5 to be a great success if it performs at that level, but their expectations are wildly different than s-e. one can only imagine the total budget of ff xv... it has been in development in some form for close to 8 years! i wouldn't be surprised if they have sunk more than 125m into it so there is a lot riding on that title for the company.

s-e is just being overly cautious to not release ff xv in the same month as persona 5 because why would they want to compete if they don't have to? i would say atlus is far more weary at the possibility of persona 5 releasing close to ff xv than the other way around. at any rate, it would be in both companies interests to space the releases by a month or two, allowing jrpg fans to digest one game at a time and give each title the attention they both rightfully deserve. 2016 will be a fantastic year for playstation fans!
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Does 14 1.0 that nearly killed square enix along with 13 not exist anymore?

Yes final Fantasy 14 2.0 and even for the most part heavenward are a good final fantasy themed MMO but is it anything like the epic stories and quest in X or any of the other non 11 games..I am sorry but no, Also 14 has been having a lot problems with end game content AGAIN, and that greatly effects it for me especially when it is one of the very few sub based mmos in this day and age!

And you know what say what you want about you thinking arena ultimamax being glorified dlc and not as good, but it still is built on an amazing solid fighting game by arc system and the writing on the VN side of things is VERY WELL DONE in arena!

Persona Q is skipable if you really wanted to sure but the character interactions in Q are hilarious and make the game a ton of fun. Also the dungeon exploration by the etrian odyssey people actually meshs surprisingly well with persona, you can tell a lot of effort went into it.

Dancing all night actually does have a good story in for a music game. could have it been told better and picked up the pace at the beginning sure, but the story has some great twist to it, and actually does a good job showcasing the series side characters. And the music and rhythm game itself are fun and are well designed.

I say that as someone who normally dislikes those three genres and yet I really do like all three of those games.

Also it is worth noting that persona 4 golden is STILL seen as the best game on the vita by most decent gaming websites.

Also I would like to point out we have gotten at most 1 persona game a year basically and players can buy them with confidence that they are well done games
and yet square puts out atleast two a year and most times the games are not at all good these days unless it is a remake of course.

Most of them were cash grabs. P4A would have been fine if the story mode didn't have pages of narration text every three lines of dialogue. P4AU screwed over the P3 cast to make P4 look better, Sho was just a red-haired version of Sho Minamimoto from TWEWY, only whinier, and spoiler[everybody is just quick to forgive all of the villains.] DAN didn't need to exist. The soundtrack was good, but it wasn't that good to warrant a DDR rip-off. Golden being the best game on the Vita isn't really saying much when the only thing it has close to competition is "Dangan Ronpa," but even then, it was just a glorified DLC that you needed to buy a separate console for. They tried to make spoiler[Izanami] make more sense by introducing a goth Mary Sue, and added more filler scenes (yeah, because clearly, what P4 needed was spoiler[more] scenes of the heroes screwing around instead of trying to solve the murder). Then again, I was never that fond of P4 in the first place. It was just a glorified remake of "Persona 3," only the characters are much stupider and there's a murder mystery.
Dextres

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really matter to me either way, if I had the cash available I would just get both and play the heck out of them.

Say goodbye to the sweet outdoors.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I mentioned this on their facebook page last week. I guess it's pretty easy to guess what they're thinking.
Personally I would get both. However I'm pretty sure if Persona 5 released early July, Square Enix would be comfortable releasing early August. One month should be plenty enough of a gap if they really think it matters that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1