• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: D.Gray-man Manga Gets New TV Anime Series in 2016 With New Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
While I'm happy, Im honestly surprised given how: 1. The manga author's health, which we already know often forces her to take long breaks, even leading the publisher to drop the series at one point, means that there's always a chance that the series will never be completed, even though the manga has been picked up again, and 2. The manga only just started up again. This seems a little early to announce a new series to me. What if they catch up? That means either a hiatus or filler. They are taking a pretty huge risk here.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
This was not the sort of news I was expecting from Jump Festa. With D.Gray-man having only recently started publishing more chapters, I wasn't even thinking, or dreaming, of a new anime adaptation. However, I can say with 100 per cent certainty that this is like an early Christmas gift. I cannot wait to see what they'll do with it (looks like it'll be a continuation from where the first anime left off) and hopefully it'll be a worthy adaptation to one of my favourite manga series.
tsuukaku478

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
The official images suggest a continuation rather than a reboot, as they have Allen with the design change at the end of the first anime, and a character from an upcoming arc.

I'm bummed out about the casting changes, though. If Kaoru Wada doesn't do the music I'll be even sadder. Sad I know some VAs died (Bookman, the Earl), but this seems to be that they'd rather cast fresh actors. The website ("News" section) says that the info about Allen and Howard is the first installment of announcements about the new cast (新キャスト第1弾発表), so they're definitely not the only ones being "replaced". Rather than "replaced", they're probably being cast from scratch.

TMS Entertainment is still involved according to the site, but perhaps there will be a different director (etc.)?

Some other continuations/sequels with large gaps in between have kept the same voice actors (Fafner, Fate/stay night), so I'm not sure what the motivation is here. Maybe they want to promote seiyuu who are more popular/rising nowadays? Or, perhaps it's a lot of work to try and recruit all the seiyuu for the major roles again. It could just be that the examples I'm used to are exceptions - Fafner was an original series, so it would make sense they keep the same seiyuu. Though F/SN UBW was done by a different studio (with a different director), a version of the VN having the anime seiyuu was released afterwards, so perhaps they felt locked in to those voices.

I'm curious to know how common recasting the major roles for anime continuations / sequels is. With reboots (like Yamato 2199 and Hunter x Hunter 2011) I would expect it, but based on the key visual this 2016 series seems to be continuing where the first one left off ...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
While I'm happy, Im honestly surprised given how: 1. The manga author's health, which we already know often forces her to take long breaks, even leading the publisher to drop the series at one point, means that there's always a chance that the series will never be completed, even though the manga has been picked up again, and 2. The manga only just started up again. This seems a little early to announce a new series to me. What if they catch up? That means either a hiatus or filler. They are taking a pretty huge risk here.

There's quite a lot of content to cover from where the previous anime left off. They definitely have more than enough for a two-cour show, probably more
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I DID NOT EXPECT THIS.

BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER (besides the other things in got)

Cool Cool Cool
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I don't know where this came from, but fak yeah!!! Merry Xmas everybody, I am a happy mofo right now Very Happy

I don't care if this is a reboot or continuation, but this is big. Never though my beloved D.Gray-man would ever continue~

PRAISE THE LAWD!
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
According to the Visuals it looks that it will be the KANDA Arc for starters.. There is A lot to be adapted and according to the current manga situation it could be said it works through its Climax.. So Yeah lets hope it will be a 24 episode season to cover up everything and then go for another 24 cour etc etc.

D.gray man cannot be ongoing due to Sensei's health so lets hope we can get enough dvd sales to ensure a next season (yeah i am optimistic but i rly want everything covered as Anime.) Guys the Awesomness just begins!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, I didn't expect to see this!! Good for DGM. I stopped following the manga years ago and never watched the anime (because I didn't like how it looked), but maybe now I'll give this new series a go to see what I've been missing.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
Now that's some honestly surprising, though definitely not unpleasant news.

The original anime had a lot of flaws but the cast was pretty awesome, so the changes make me a bit sad. I'm sure the new cast will do a good job and probably draw some new fans too, but it's gonna be weird for us old fans (i can't really imagine someone other than Morikawa Toshiyuki voicing Tiky for example...).

But overall, consider me excited! Laughing
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
GREAT!, i can't wait for FUNimation to pick this up and *NOT* release it in the UK

seriously FUNimation are treating UK anime fans like we don't exist at the moment
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Holy shit hoooleeee sheeeet

Not too excited about the casting change. I hope Takahiro Sakurai does reprise his role as Kanda, I just can't imagine him with a different voice, and since this will be a Kanda-centric arc I need Sakurai on board.

I just went through three stages reading the announcement: 1.) Wow, more D.Gray-man, after all this time? Neat! 2.) Seeing the visual: The Kanda arc? This is going to be wonderful!! 3.) They're changing the cast? No, no, please don't.

The cast was one of the show's greatest assets, why would they do this? Please don't re-cast Kanda, please don't re-cast Kanda...

Also, if this has a new cast, it's not going to be a continuation of the original series. And yet the visual shows an arc happening much later in the story, and for good reason. Are they just teasing us, saying "This time, we're finally going to arrive THERE", or are they planning on animating just this arc, without much coming before? How's that going to work emotionally? We need to have seen Lenalee's childhood and listened to some of Kanda's "spoiler[I can't die before...]" and "spoiler[Don't make promises you can't keep]" speeches for this to work as it did in the manga.

One of the nice things about the manga was the feeling that the reveals and backstories involving the main characters seemed to have been clear to the mangaka from the very beginning, with lots of foreshadowing that was only recognized as such in hindsight.

I really want to see this and still am excited, but also slightly worried how this is going to work overall...
roserocksrapidly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna cry, this is amazing
*hyperventilating*
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Not really hype for this. At least it was a better shonen than Bleach. Not much else.
Gonstead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
GREAT!, i can't wait for FUNimation to pick this up and *NOT* release it in the UK

seriously FUNimation are treating UK anime fans like we don't exist at the moment

Funimation has nothing to do with the local distribution of Anime in your country. You need to take that up with whoever actually is, which is MangaUK if I remember correctly.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
Gonstead wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:

Funimation has nothing to do with the local distribution of Anime in your country. You need to take that up with whoever actually is, which is MangaUK if I remember correctly.

I think that they sub-licence from funimation? That's why we've had trouble and aren't gonna get the rest of Fairy Tail anime anymore or something but I don't know what the actual issue is. They hold the UK rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6