• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: D.Gray-man Manga Gets New TV Anime Series in 2016 With New Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Funimation has nothing to do with stuff being licened here in Europe
It certainly does if it has Funi's logo at the head and uses their dub track. Else it's either dubbed in proper Queen's English, or kept at English sub only, or a bootleg. Wink
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
).

Also Toei is a really bad example (and almost 100% certainly not Funimation's fault given Toei's reputation). Toei is notorious for not wanting their shows to be available in other countries. Obviously they loosen their grip on some things, but even those don't get a full release here (there are tons of One Piece and DBZ specials that have never been released here, most of the earlier One Piece movies, etc...)..

the UK actually got ALL the One Piece Movies from Toei (Sub only apart from the ones FUNimation dubbed)
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
So, D.Gray-man gets a reboot but Rurouni Kenshin still doesn't? Or even YuYu Hakusho or Ranma 1/2? Come on Japan! Mad

I admit I used to like DGM for a while, but lost interest in it. While I'm glad they're getting another chance, it won't do much good if the mangaka is still having health issues and the manga keeps going on hiatus. Confused

Sorry guys for being salty, but it irritates me that a great anime/manga franchise Rurouni Kenshin is still getting ignored (including and especially the final arc, the Jinchuu Arc). Come on Japan! What are you waiting on? What are you so afraid of? The Jinchuu Arc is no more darker than what we've seen in pretty much every Shounen anime/manga franchise. Heck, you even allowed ALL of Fullmetal Alchemist to be animated via Brotherhood as dark as it was. If you can do THAT much and STILL be ok with it, you can handle the Jinchuu Arc from Rurouni Kenshin. Mad

The live action movies and crappy Kyoto Arc OVA remake and the stupid OVAs from the early 2000's and the musicals do NOT count because it's not what a lot of fans are wanting. What we want is a full reboot/remake of the anime series that is far more faithful to the original manga 100% as Nobuhiro Watsuki intended it to be.

Again, I'm happy for D.Gray-man and all its fans, but I wish Japan would consider bringing back some more series like Rurouni Kenshin for example instead of ignoring them. :/
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
SamuraiNinjaDragon wrote:
So, D.Gray-man gets a reboot but Rurouni Kenshin still doesn't? Or even YuYu Hakusho or Ranma 1/2? Come on Japan! Mad

its not a reboot, just a continuation

and why would YYH get one? It was already completed
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Never seen the show or read the manga, but this is a name I'm familiar with. Hmm, if it is a new adaption, I may check it out. If it's a continuation, I can't see myself getting through just over 100 episodes in order to watch the new series.

Will wait and see...
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
SamuraiNinjaDragon wrote:

and why would YYH get one? It was already completed

Whoops, I misunderstood it then. ^^;;;

I thought they didn't finish the manga? o.o Maybe it's just Rurouni Kenshin and Ranma 1/2? Not sure actually ^^;;; I know Rurouni Kenshin has needed one for a long time.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

where are you getting that from?

Quote:
getting a new TV anime adaptation
vaguely implies a reboot to me.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Quote:

maybe because they're showing crown clown which doesn't happen until more than halfway through the series.

if this was a complete reboot they wouldn't be showing something that happens 50-60+ episodes in.

That would have been like them showing the election arc stuff in the first HxH reboot trailer.

Last edited by Tylerr on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I was watching Twitter and there was mentions of REBORN. If anything, I could imagine that returning since the comic is over.

On the key visual, it seems to be one of the 3rd Exorcist? I'm glad the show is returning, but waiting for more details just hurts. What mostly concerns me is what is going to be adapted because the comic just resumed (?) and I don't think the anime will be long?

Also, I'll be distressed considering the crap that happened lately on the protagonist side, and the anime would just end it.

I'm not even going to get into cast change for the sake of my sanity. Just keep my Levi, my Lelnalee, and Kanda (Freakin' Sakurai screwing with us for 4 years.).

Also, are they going to adapt those ridiculous zombie chapters? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
I was watching Twitter and there was mentions of REBORN. If anything, I could imagine that returning since the comic is over.

On the key visual, it seems to be one of the 3rd Exorcist? I'm glad the show is returning, but waiting for more details just hurts. What mostly concerns me is what is going to be adapted because the comic just resumed (?) and I don't think the anime will be long?

Also, I'll be distressed considering the crap that happened lately on the protagonist side, and the anime would just end it.

I'm not even going to get into cast change for the sake of my sanity. Just keep my Levi, my Lelnalee, and Kanda (Freakin' Sakurai screwing with us for 4 years.).

Also, are they going to adapt those ridiculous zombie chapters? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Eh i'm a bit indifferent towards a reborn sequel, felt like the series should have ended right where the anime did. That manga ending was super annoying and it felt like nothing changed.

As for how long the anime will be, they could get a little over 2 cour out of it depending on their pace (theres like 60-70 chapters left to adapt), then pick it up again the next time if the author is still alive.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit, did not see this coming.

Awesome.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
).

Also Toei is a really bad example (and almost 100% certainly not Funimation's fault given Toei's reputation). Toei is notorious for not wanting their shows to be available in other countries. Obviously they loosen their grip on some things, but even those don't get a full release here (there are tons of One Piece and DBZ specials that have never been released here, most of the earlier One Piece movies, etc...)..

the UK actually got ALL the One Piece Movies from Toei (Sub only apart from the ones FUNimation dubbed)

Lucky! Wonder if the disks are region free? I might have to import them. Smile
Aisama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
OMG, and here I thought that this will never get a continuation ever, but this is the best news today! I'm so excited. I'm looking forward to it so much! I don't even care if the manga is not finish so long as the anime have a good original end, I'll be happy.

Plus, I'm totally alright with the cast change.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Quote:

The character designs and weapons in most of the images are taken from later chapters in the manga, so that's a huge indication that it's a continuation.

Since a lot of animes tend to give each season a different name, or sometimes when a series goes on hiatus it'll come back as "series 2" or "show name: blahblahblah" and so forth. So ANN will often refer to new seasons or continuations as "new anime" since having a different name technically makes it a different series. So it really isn't the best way to judge whether or not a series is a continuation since they tend to use that term interchangeably.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Quote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/_gLHHECf9E/

Might need a full translation to confirm but apparently the manga author said it's a continuation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6