• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Gets New Anime Project Featuring Guts as 'Black Swordsman'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well this is an interesting development.
evilmadclown1230

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they'll get this one right, OVA or TV pleeease.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
oh god you B*** you f****** b***.

I thought you finally started working regular and then you go drop this goddamn bomb "hey guys next chapters out in summer of 2016 teehee"

*sigh*

its official if ishida is the master of foreshadowing then kentaro is the master procrastinating. At least Ishida will be on his 5th series by the time kentaro decides to finally finish berserk.

other than that its nice that theres gonna be anime adapation of berserk i just really didn't wish it came at the cost of the future of the series. Hell i think we'll get to Kingdom Herats 13 before Guts ever meets spoiler[griffith again or the fairy king]
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
All the unexpected sequels and remakes... I means, there's even a Gantz movie coming.

Not that I'm complaining about any of this. Wink Plus, more sci-fi next year.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ideally this will get the same treatment Hunter X hunter got, either by Madhouse or MAPPA. I see a lot of people complaining about Studio 4°C, I'm more concerned about Ufotable, some of their older works were good, but everything now looks really ugly, and they seem like the studio that would get a project like this.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully NBC will pick up the broadcasting rights to the series here in the States.
link9us

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i don't know what the hell is happening over there in japan but it looks to me like they are finally recognizing fandom. Not just anime but video games as well. I can't tell you how amazing 2016 is going to be for anime/video game fans alike.

Games: Ni no kuni II, Persona 5, Final fantasy XV, Star ocean 5, Dragon Quest XI, Legend of heroes, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy VII remake, The Legend of Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Anime: Berserk, D Gray Man, DragonBall Super, Gundam Iron Blooded Orphan, Seven Deadly Sins, Muv-love, Attack on Titan S2, Boku no Hero Academia, Jo jo part 4, One Punch man, Boruto

I am sure i missed some but either next year is by none the best year we have ever had in the industry.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I've recently been reading the manga (up to volume 15) and I'm just amazed by how much better the anime was that, unless it's th same team that did the classic anime (not those godawful movies), I don't think I can get very excited about it
#Foreverfizz8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
holy shit
-that is all
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
This pleases me greatly, though I hope it follows the series rather than the movies in terms of quality. I was worried that the lackluster response to the movies and the fact that the series came out in 1997 meant we wouldn't see new animated material.

Also, putting Berserk on an irregular schedule seems like simply acknowledging what was already the case considering how often Miura goes on hiatus.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I hope this adaptation's better than the movies or the anime series in terms of quality. Both are guilty of cutting out events and characters that are or would become important later on and extending/adding unnecessary things (though I can understand why the anime did so). Of course, if I had to choose between the adaptation quality of the anime and the movies, the anime would win, hands down. But at this point, I'm just happy to get new Berserk stuff that doesn't animate the Golden Age again.
Responder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ideally this will get the same treatment Hunter X hunter got, either by Madhouse or MAPPA. I see a lot of people complaining about Studio 4°C, I'm more concerned about Ufotable, some of their older works were good, but everything now looks really ugly, and they seem like the studio that would get a project like this.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Unless MAPPA can muster a Terror in Resonance-level production, odds are they would fall well short of what Ufotable can do. Also, One Punch Man was very mediocre outside of the sakuga moments, and Parasyte and Overlord boasted some of the most lifeless directing I've ever seen. I think Ufotable's effects, lighting and atmosphere would make them a good pick for Berserk. However, my top pick would probably be the staff at Production I.G., as they've not had the recent lows of Madhouse.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
CeaseActivity wrote:
Souther wrote:
Oh yeah, found the anime site linked somewhere else I think: http://berserk-anime.com/

That looks completely CG animated? I like the art style though.

It seems like they're using traditional and CG together like the movie. Flesh and fabric look traditional, but armor looks like CG.

CeaseActivity wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
It really wasn't just the CG that was the issue with those. Many of the traditional animated designs looked downright bad

You thought the character designs were ugly? Character designs by Naoyuki Onda!? Them not looking like you're used to is one thing, calling them bad is a whole thing another. Well alright if they're not your thing then that's ok, but they're totally adequate in artstyle, recognisability and in character.

I agree that Naoyuki Onda's character design is great on its own. Yoshihiko Umakoshi's character design of TV series is close to the manga design at that time, but Onda's design was more realistic.
Sympan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Hopefully NBC will pick up the broadcasting rights to the series here in the States.

Oh, the complaints that would be submitted to the FCC on premiere night... Laughing

Seriously, the 1997 Berserk series was so radically grotesque and violent for its time, it couldn't even be aired on Adult Swim or SciFi Channel in the USA; it went straight to video. Granted, standards and tastes in broadcasting have changed, but don't be too surprised if the new Berserk is aired via streaming (Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc.) rather than conventional TV.

Also, NBC Universal? Didn't Warner Bros. have the rights to the new Berserk stuff in both Japan and the States?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
Responder wrote:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Unless MAPPA can muster a Terror in Resonance-level production, odds are they would fall well short of what Ufotable can do. Also, One Punch Man was very mediocre outside of the sakuga moments, and Parasyte and Overlord boasted some of the most lifeless directing I've ever seen. I think Ufotable's effects, lighting and atmosphere would make them a good pick for Berserk. However, my top pick would probably be the staff at Production I.G., as they've not had the recent lows of Madhouse.

My choice for Madhouse was mostly based on their adaptation of Hunter X Hunter, I've seen a few long running Anime, that go past 100 episodes. But Hunter X Hunter is one of the few(Gintama is another but I can't see Sunrise making it) to maintain a high level(for a TV show) of quality.

I chose MAPPA based on Ushio to Tora , since it maintains the look and feel of the older artwork, and mostly good animation, even if it wasn't as high as HXH.

My fear with Ufotable is that Berserk will end up looking something like God Eater.

I would love I.G though, if they made it along the lines of something like Giovanni's Island, but in the style of Berserk. Since a lot takes place outside, it would look great with Oil Painted backgrounds like said film had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5