• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Way to Watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweaf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This is one of many shows I'll never try because of its character design. I'm sorry. Another example would be Oremonotagari (or whatever).
wohdin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
The most important thing to understand about Jojo as a whole in my opinion is that despite their intrinsic links and strong relations to one another, every single arc plays out as if it were its own entirely unique work. And, in fact, because of this, every single arc essentially has its own distinct genre placement and its own set of tropes. No two arcs are the same, and in fact, the series changes dramatically with every new arc - and this is wholly intentional, as the overall style of each arc is crafted around that arc's new protagonist. For instance, Phantom Blood plays out almost like an old European drama in some ways - because that's basically what it is, being set in, well, 19th century Europe, it intentionally invokes that tone. In contrast to that, Battle Tendency plays out in a manner that is complementary to Joseph Joestar's rambunctious and jovial personality, and Stardust Crusaders is much more hot-blooded and intense, a la Jotaro Kujo. Each new arc has a tone shift to accomodate the new protagonist, and probably the most extreme shifts in general were for Battle Tendency and Steel Ball Run. But really, the point is, you should not expect any arc to be like Stardust Crusaders - or like any other arc, for that matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4