• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 84% of Japanese College Students Have Never Read Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
People need to get over their childhood nostalgia and let their kids grow up with the stuff of their own time. No sense in being stuck to the past through your kids.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Finally I don't feel so alone in this...well sort of I'm collecting the vizbigs for the first 15 or so volumes of Dragon Ball (not Z, I know about the name thing but whatever) but yeah.

DBZ was never apart of my childhood and even when I did get into anime I wasn't really interested in looking at it, not until I read Dr. Slump and Realized I had a lot more in common with Akira Toriyama than I initially thought. It wasn't like Naruto where I actively didn't want to read it but I never had the motivation to do so either since I never payed much attention to Toonami until it was over practically dying using Naruto and ONLY Naruto as life support.

I'm sure years later will come down the line and the same thing will happen to Naruto and One Piece, sure they'll be remembered but it'll be in an entirely different context like me knowing of the Peanuts or something like that. It's was the big reason why as much as I hated the notion of "the big 3" I was really interested in seeing what would replace them since they're practically dying out (yes make your One Piece will go on to the end of time jokes but while I like it I feel like it's lost it's relevancy having become a franchise vehicle looking outside of the manga.)
Azucena Sepúlveda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Araki wrote:
Lyzee goes on to claim Dragon Ball isn't that big anymore. Well, check out Toei/Bandai last financial reports, and the last movie box office, and come back again..

I made no such claim. The only claims made is that younger generations aren't interested in Dragon Ball (i.e. it' s no longer a 'gateway' anime) and apparently the older generation didn't pass the series on to their kids.

Obviously the show is still big, just not with the college-age demographic.

Many of the college students who didn't read the manga stated they found the anime fulfilling enough.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Plus the Dragon Ball anime is very similar to the manga. It's shot-for-shot, just with some extra stuff added. If you just watch the anime, you already know the story.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="octopodpie"]
Araki wrote:

Obviously the show is still big, just not with the college-age demographic.

How did you reach this conclusion? Question
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Stupid clickbaits. Those 300 people do not represent the entire younger generation.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've never read Dragon Ball. I've never watched Dragon Ball either. I've seen most of Z (dropped off during the Buu Saga) and seen some GT...but haven't touched the original.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I don't think that amount is even 1% of the Japanese college population
This seems to be a very common misconspection of how sample sizes work.

Briefly, if the statistical population is large is compared to the sample size, it is not usually a problem at all to statistics. In the many simple cases, like a series of coin flips, the statistical population is actually infinite (you can flip a theoretical coin infinitely many times), but you can still infer about the fairness of the coin with a finite amount of flips, e.g. much less than 400 flips.

The problem with your statement is that liking a show is more subjective than the objective flipping of a coin, so although its possible to get a relatively far or objective judgement in a small sample sizes, it only under really specific conditions.

Lets look at it another way, its possible for a coin to be flipped 400 times and land all heads or all tails, but the probablity of it is extremely unlikely. On the flipside it very easy depending on the area or type of people polled to get a majority that likes or dislikes something, or has or has not done something.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
More like 84% claim they have never read it.

Why would they do that?

My guess is that since they are young adults they do not want people to think they ever were into reading shounen manga (since that is what kids do and it is no longer cool into your 20s) and no doubt they will try to quote the titles of any serious prose that comes to mind.

Maybe they should have thrown them a curve and asked instead what a Piccolo is.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
If you're not exposed to it as a younger person then you may not get into as you are growing up, if at all. I was exposed to Star Trek and Star Wars as a young child, hence why I keep up with the two series. Also this series ended before a majority of college students were born. And with the way the internet works in taking up a majority of people's time versus the TV, young people probably aren't even catching Dragon Ball at all on cable.

I have to agree that the title of this article is misleading, you should have put down in a poll of 400 students that 84% of them have not read Dragon Ball. The current headliner makes it sound like a great majority of college students in Japan were surveyed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
For all the people skeptical of the validity of survey, well, that's the nature of surveys, there's always going to be some variables that you cannot account for. That said, the interpretation of the results are another story.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by the results at all. The majority of people who watched (or read) Dragon Ball growing up are probably in their late 20's and 30's now. Like movies, games, music, etc. there's always going to be a generation gap of sorts. You'd get very different results if those students were asked about Bleach, One Piece, or even Attack on Titan.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I don't think that amount is even 1% of the Japanese college population
This seems to be a very common misconspection of how sample sizes work.

Briefly, if the statistical population is large is compared to the sample size, it is not usually a problem at all to statistics. In the many simple cases, like a series of coin flips, the statistical population is actually infinite (you can flip a theoretical coin infinitely many times), but you can still infer about the fairness of the coin with a finite amount of flips, e.g. much less than 400 flips.

Yeah and also power and large enough sample size (too lazy to check power) but I do agree with what youre saying and I doubt theyd need to or if itd be feasible to even get 1% of the entire population (actually how would they even define college population and recruit all of them in a survey).

Dragonball is pretty old and only appeals to old people its not relevant or good enough to be read over Naruto to people of this gen. Kishimoto reinvinted the genre and did more than Toriyama has done so its clear why people wouldnt be into Dragonball manga in 2015.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
DB/DBZ is older in Japan than it feels like in the US since DBZ only became popular several years later in the US. To Japan, it's old.

DB manga to Japan is like Marvel/DC comics now in the US - ya don't need to read the manga to go along with the franchise.

mangamuscle wrote:
KilluaX3 wrote:
Ulinox wrote:

More like 84% claim they have never read it.

Why would they do that?

My guess is that since they are young adults they do not want people to think they ever were into reading shounen manga (since that is what kids do and it is no longer cool into your 20s)

If the poll is anonymous, then there's no reason to hide.
Plus DB is an all-ages icon now, like One Piece - nobody would shame anyone who has read it.

Now about surveys, anybody who's taken statistics know ya don't need to poll a majority of a population to get a meaningful survey. (For instance, the polls about the contenders for one of the most powerful positions on earth -The President of the United States- is usually just around a thousand people.) It's just how ya do the survey and the margin of error.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't surprise me that Japanese college students are into far more interesting things than Dragonball. They are future bound, Dragonball is a cartoon.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball ended in 1995 in Japan. Current college students were probably around 5 for the oldest and not even born for the youngest when it ended. You don't need to be born when something is published to enjoy it but it tends to automatically reduce the impact among the given demographic when it's not the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4