• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canadian Maid Cafe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Well, y'know, we Americans are stuck up A-holes in that regard over such things. But then again, we thrive on controversy.

Hooters has done a decent job thriving on controversy. The main difference is that the whole sports bar theme is well understood and accepted here while Japanese style meek and minuscule costumed maids serving up snacks to lonely otaku types would be an almost completely foreign concept where I live (7th largest city in the US). Houston might be able to pull it off though. Things seem to fly in Houston that would never fly in most US cities, such as grope-friendly strip clubs and risqué massage parlors. It's all technically illegal of course, but so are such clubs in most of Asia as well.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Well, y'know, we Americans are stuck up A-holes in that regard over such things. But then again, we thrive on controversy.

Hooters has done a decent job thriving on controversy. The main difference is that the whole sports bar theme is well understood and accepted here while Japanese style meek and minuscule costumed maids serving up snacks to lonely otaku types would be an almost completely foreign concept where I live (7th largest city in the US). Houston might be able to pull it off though. Things seem to fly in Houston that would never fly in most US cities, such as grope-friendly strip clubs and risqué massage parlors. It's all technically illegal of course, but so are such clubs in most of Asia as well.

Come to Dallas. Lol, this place has taken Hooters to a whole new level: http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/. Check out the scenic views section and tell me these girls don't make the idea of maid costumes and Hooters look tame. Dallas is the snobbiest place in Texas, but apparently the psuedo-sophistication doesn't extend to this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2