• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
I would have had Yurikuma and Death Parade tied at #1. Good list though.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
I had a gut feeling going into this that Flyers would be number one. I wasn't disappointed. I've had that song on constant repeat since February. Anime hyper

I wasn't expecting B3's and Seraph's opening to be so high on the list though. That was a nice surprise for me. Smile
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I find it impossible to rank music and for that matter, food, because there are different tastes for different moods and they all scratch different itches. That being said I'll list the OPs that stood out most to me off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Valkyrie Drive Mermaid
Despite how most will dismiss the show as "ecchi trash" the OP is kickass. Really one of the best rock songs I've heard in a while.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight
An all around great OP in visuals as well as music. I never tire of seeing it.

Noragami Aragoto
One of the reasons I watch this show is for this OP alone. It pumps you up.

Knights of Sidonia
Really different from any OP I've ever heard in recent memory. It almost sounds like a national anthem of sorts. Both S1 and S2 have great openings.

Fafner Exodus (1st OP)
A fantastic OP to probably the most underrated anime of 2015.

Yurikuma Arashi
Like Knights of Sidonia, this one stood out for not only being different from your typical anime OP, but also really good. It's sweet and addictive, which really matches the honey motif the visuals got going on.
Dr. Cakey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
The first half of the list made sense to me, but the whole second half I was scratching my head. Well, no, I knew "Flyers" was going to be #1 before I started the video, but I didn't even realize I liked the song until I listened to it outside the OP. The visuals brought it down that much for me. Obviously that wasn't the case for most other people.

Ther's only one OP I want to mention:

Chivalry of a Failed Knight - "Identity"
Let me make one thing very clear: I hate Chivalry of a Failed Knight. "Well of course you do, it's a dumb magic high school light novel anime". Even by that standard, I hate Chivalry of a Failed Knight. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles, it would not equal one-billionth of the etc. That kind of hate.

But I really, really, really like the OP. The song itself is really enjoyable, but it coupled with the absolutely incredible visuals is even greater than the sum of its parts. It has an absolutely gorgeous monochrome + red color scheme, it's constantly in motion, and it uses negative space and changes the size or shape of the framing in wonderful ways to highlight and emphasize. It's not just my favorite OP of the year, it's possibly my favorite OP of any year.

oh yeah "mathemagics" from owarimonogatari was pretty good too
amagee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
I might agree with Ms. Chapman if my personal rating system matched hers. She mentioned that strength of the song is paramount for her but, for me, making sure the song and accompanying animation match the tenor of the show is most important for me. If, however, the song and animation are doing something different from the regular style of the show, such as Death Parade's opening, then I revert back to the music being most important.

With that having been said, I would have added in Non Non Biyori and Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

The seasonal march in the former has such a good build up in the animation and the song; it just captures that anime for me in a little succinct moment that I find wonderful.

In the latter, the point where they hit the refrain for the second time and the Gundam itself appears and starts massacring Grazes is not only fabulously fun, but it mirrors the fact that the Gundam represents the group of orphans' "flag" they raise against both their overlords at the time and their enemy.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
I've created a list of 2015's anime OP songs on the first page of this thread with titles and artists:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4704275#4704275

Hopefully there aren't too many omissions or errors.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Guys, you only need to vote.

Don't feel the need to validate your choices/opinions by writing a testament about it.

Geez.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
kotelo_ wrote:
Don't feel the need to validate your choices/opinions by writing a testament about it.

On the other hand I have found it interesting reading why others liked particular songs as top opening themes for anime in 2015, and it's a good way to find out about other anime opening themes worth investigatingl.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
kotelo_--

Not to put too fine a point on it, but why are you even bothering to read the Talkback section of this article if you honestly feel that way? What do you hope to get out of reading this thread? I don't ask in order to put you down; I ask because I am genuinely curious.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Is there a way to add two selections to the poll? I voted for 10 as below (having added PriPara), but I've just remembered Teekyuu 5's OP, Qunka!, which is absolutely amazing. It's a glimpse into Marimo's demented mind, bizarre yet coherent, a combination of jungle beats, cool crescendos and frenetic energy. It's sung by her voice actress, the inimitable Kana Hanazawa, and the lyrics include a recipe for fried panties. You just have to listen to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYrCQsbX31c

My votes in list order (alphabetical but for the one I added):

Chaos Dragon: "ISOtone". As has been observed, the great opening and ending themes were pretty much all that was good about this series. Frenetic and cool, but not an appalling mess. One step up on the show itself.

Death Parade: "Flyers". Funky and fun. Not really anything like the show, but strongly individual. Honourable mention to "Hotel Alien", the OP to the under-watched Peeping Life TV Season 1??, also by Bradio.

Gatchaman Crowds insight: "Insight". Solid, cool, rocking. Really goes with the show, and I much preferred it to the first season's OP.

Himouto! Umaru-chan: "Kakushinteki☆Metamaruphose!". Catchy as hell, great song. Really embodies the spirit of the show.

Non Non Biyori Repeat: "Kodama Kotodama". I've liked nano.RIPE songs before, but they've always been really, well, nano.RIPE. They're individually and identifiably nano.RIPE. This one really got me, though. There have been better slice of life shows than Non Non Biyori, but for me none that have gone for the CGDCT angle. This song and its country twang, and especially the lyrics (the final verse especially) really resonate with the show itself for me. Idyllic, temporal. Things that end, things that change. And, thus, make us who we are. Trying to embrace it all – listen, you can hear the echo.

One Punch Man: "THE HERO!!~Ikareru Kobushi ni Hi wo Tsukero~". What needs to be said? It's concentrated hype. The melody changes from fast and wild, performed with Endoh's strident tones to mid-paced and heavy, chorus driving the song forward. JAM Project is great.

Owari no Seraph: "X.U.". Again, pretty lousy show, great OP and ED. Really cool song.

Hibike! Euphonium: "DREAM SOLISTER". Just a relly great, jazzy song. Uplifting and swingin'.

Yurikuma Arashi: "Ano Mori de Matteru". Cool, mysterious, filled with aching longing. Even without the visuals, it feel kinds of weird.

PriPara: "Realize!", although I could also nominate Dream Parade or Bright Fantasy. i☆Ris keeps knocking out excellent songs for this show, and getting to hear a new one is always exciting.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
kotelo_--

Not to put too fine a point on it, but why are you even bothering to read the Talkback section of this article if you honestly feel that way? What do you hope to get out of reading this thread? I don't ask in order to put you down; I ask because I am genuinely curious.

Mainly because I wanted to see if what I said above was actually happening, and it was. Maybe the site needs something more informal like disqus, where users can share comments fast and make them shorter.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
kotelo_ wrote:

Mainly because I wanted to see if what I said above was actually happening, and it was. Maybe the site needs something more informal like disqus, where users can share comments fast and make them shorter.

I don't really see your original point. This thread's pretty obviously meant for feedback to Hope's list, and while there've been some that have been a bit combative about it, most people (myself included) have just been sharing our own favorites - and since unannotated lists are discouraged and discussion is fun we've been sharing our reasons for choosing them or just talking about what our philosophy on choosing them is.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Is there a way to add two selections to the poll?

I'd also like to add more than one; I thought that previous polls allowed adding multiple new entries, one at a time but this one doesn't seem to work that way?
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
God, Hope. Spoilers for Jojo much? Rolling Eyes Just kidding. But seriously, wooow.

At first, I was like "Goddamnit, Jojo's OP is No.2! Mad " and then Death Parade's OP made No.1 and I was like "You know what? I would've picked either for No.1. It's a great choice. Smile "
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Charlotte's Bravely You absolutely should have been on there. It's stunning.

But yay for X.U. I fell in love at the first second. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5