• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Yo, Yoshiura!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Ooh, yes, I really liked Harmonie. It made me want see more (lots more), but the pacing itself was spot-on that I didn't mind it being so short.

I ended up liking most of Death Parade, but I think I would have preferred to see more of that Harmonie story expanded into a full story.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I'll suggest that it may not be much more than a way to explore how different things look when upside-down, how different things would be if gravity inverted and as a novel way for Age and Patema to find that they can do things together that that can't do separately.

Well... I mean, I can't exactly force you to see a metaphor, but one of the main themes of the story is "understanding people who are different from yourself," and it seems to me the literal perspective-flipping is clearly being used for that. The closed-minded bad guys don't want anyone leaving the ground or interacting with inverts because they think only their perspective of the world is valid.

It's also an evocative vertigo-inducing fantasy thing, but that's why it's a good metaphor: it makes the intended meaning obvious while also making it interesting and novel.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Time Of Eve is definitely Yoshiura's best work.
Pale Cocoon is interesting, but a little too short to do more than hint at a story.
Aquatic Language (Mizu No Kotoba) is kinda like a prototype for some aspects of Time Of Eve.
Patema Inverted is a big disappointment. The underlying idea is interesting, but the physics aspect is pretty weak, the villain is just ridiculous, and most importantly, Yoshiura pulled a darn Zelda with this movie (title implies Patema is the main character, but she's only the princess to be rescued by the actual protagonist).
Harmonie again has some interesting ideas, but is too short to really get anywhere with them.
I haven't watched Yoshiura's Animator Expo entries thoroughly yet, so I can't really comment on those.
Hmm, come to think of it, it seems a common theme in Yoshiura's works is that the main/most interesting characters are female, and the POV characters are male. You can also spot some recurring visual elements in his works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2